Can We Get Some Consistency In The Moderation Of The Forum Please?

PDA

Treo
December 6, 2008, 10:42 AM
Iíve noticed that thereís not a whole lot of consistency among the moderators on certain points here

If you want to type out your fantasy of standing in your yard, ankle deep in brass, the bodies of the rioters, outlaw motorcycle gang members, crazed tweakers, insert name of evildoers here stacked like cordwood against your fence in the predawn mist, with the girls from the Hooters restuarant down the street huddle behind you and ask you to father their children.....Go somewhere else with it. Take it general and write a good short story and get other members to contribute ideas...but don't do it here.

Jeff White specifically invites posters to post short stories for input in general and here

This is just the sort of self-indulgent masturbatory fantasizing that makes us look like a bunch of lunatics to anyone who's a fence sitter

Justin decides nope we ainít doiní that in my forum

Iíve also seen quite a few threads in which one moderator will participate and say that the thread is acceptable and just I few posts later another moderator (and Iíve noticed itís generally the moderators that really arenít around much doing it) says itís unacceptable and closes it. I think this schizophrenic approach to moderation is part of the general decline in quality on this board. (JMO)

If you enjoyed reading about "Can We Get Some Consistency In The Moderation Of The Forum Please?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oro
December 6, 2008, 11:16 AM
IBL.

That said, any ruler-censoring body is just that - censoring. Your example is not that out of line. I've seen much worse here.

Just think of the THR as "THRC" - A high road, but with censoring and tyranny. not exactly logical, but de facto.

A more logical and reasoned approach would be to allow users to "flag" and mark as inappropriate comments and threads, that would then get kicked up to moderator review after a certain critical number of flags. This is how craigslist works and (though they are a lefty, amoral anti-gun org), works well.

This could also have it's self-checking limits. Anyone "flagging" more than one posting a day (or some other standard) would be reviewed to make sure they weren't an anti-constitutionalist trolling for effect.

This would let the moderators sit back and do effective work instead of minute policing.

kingpin008
December 6, 2008, 11:17 AM
If you have a problem with the way the Mods do things, why not PM them directly and discuss it with them? Bringing it out here won't do you any good, as we have no control over how they do things.

Instead, it creates a point of contention - who likes the Mods, who thinks they're jerks, and on and on and on..

Which ultimately, damages the quality of the content here. If we're all focusing on problems that you could have handled in private, we're not focusing on guns. Right?

Oro
December 6, 2008, 11:25 AM
Instead, it creates a point of contention - who likes the Mods, who thinks they're jerks, and on and on and on..

Which ultimately, damages the quality of the content here. If we're all focusing on problems that you could have handled in private, we're not focusing on guns. Right?

Well, that's one vote for "sweep it under the rug" instead of being democratic about it and creating a consensus. I hope others feel free discussion is more valuable than face-saving, personally.

Discolsure: I have no axe to grind against the moderators. But if others want to advance it, why shut down the discussion? It's just anti-American to stifle discussion and the "redress of grievances." Discussion is always good. The public will, with it's wisdom, discard that which is foolish and trivial and embrace that which is fundamental. It is the hallmark of freedom and sensibility.

The reason many member are here is there was a prior forum that was too censoring, uneven, and not very polite, I will sTop From Labeling it, but many know. FYI, I am not new to this forum, but have been here since the early days. After the last election I decided to change my user ID, which was my name, and anonymize my contributions.

Biker
December 6, 2008, 11:33 AM
It's not Thursday.

Biker

Oro
December 6, 2008, 11:34 AM
It's not Thursday.

Biker

I like that attitude!

wyocarp
December 6, 2008, 11:35 AM
If you have a problem with the way the Mods do things, why not PM them directly and discuss it with them?

I have. It doesn't do any noticable good.

rbernie
December 6, 2008, 11:41 AM
Thursday is the traditional 'Bash-The-Mods' day.

It's poor form to wait until Saturday. Even mo' poor form to not PM them for adjucation of the conflicting advice. And extra bad taste awards for blaming the mods for your perceived 'decline in the quality' of the forum.

Mods don't CONTROL content - they merely try to weed out the most eggregious of noise.

Atla
December 6, 2008, 11:41 AM
Randy watched from the bushes as Jane entered her bedroom. The single bulb illuminated her McDonald's uniform, as it swung like a pendulous breast back and forth. Exposed and naked amongst the cheaply painted plaster ceiling. Like she soon would be.

Wait...what sort of short stories are we allowed to write?

;>

kingpin008
December 6, 2008, 11:52 AM
Well, that's one vote for "sweep it under the rug" instead of being democratic about it and creating a consensus. I hope others feel free discussion is more valuable than face-saving, personally.

That's all well and good - except that this isn't a democracy. Whoever the current owner of the site is (not gonna go into that whole mess) is the owner - THR is not a free-for-all. There are rules that must be abided by, and one of those is that any issues with the Mods be taken up with those Mods in private, so a to keep the drama on the board to a minimum.

Like it or not, that's the way it goes.

Treo
December 6, 2008, 12:00 PM
If you have a problem with the way the Mods do things, why not PM them directly and discuss it with them? Bringing it out here won't do you any good, as we have no control over how they do things.

Would you have me PM each indivdual Mod on the forum?

Just think of the THR as "THRC" - A high road, but with censoring and tyranny. not exactly logical, but de facto.

I have no objection to the mods censoring for content. Certain subjects are not apropos to THR my objection, or more accurately my suggestion is that if one Mod says ( either implicitly by participation or explicitly by stating the fact) a thread is accepttable that another mod not just arbitrarily close it

Wait...what sort of short stories are we allowed to write?

IDK in Jeff's example the girls from Hooters are begging the hero to father their children

kingpin008
December 6, 2008, 12:25 PM
Would you have me PM each indivdual Mod on the forum?

If that's what it takes, why not? This is a large site, but there aren't -that many- Moderators here.

I was under the impression that you only had a problem with the way two Mods acted in this case. Or, were you implying that -all- the Mods here are problematic?

And if that's the case, and it's such a problem for you, why are you still here? I'm not trying to bust your chops, just making sure I understand what you're trying to say.

dwave
December 6, 2008, 12:45 PM
I think he is trying to say that there isn't constancy, not a problem with two mods. It was an example that one mod was participating on the topic, then another comes and and shuts it down.

Walkalong
December 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
Oh boo hoo......... Life is not fair....... :uhoh:

News flash, your right. There is no way it can be perfect. That is what our anti buddies can't figure out. :)

Floppy_D
December 6, 2008, 12:58 PM
How is this gun related? :evil:

kingpin008
December 6, 2008, 01:03 PM
I think he is trying to say that there isn't constancy, not a problem with two mods. It was an example that one mod was participating on the topic, then another comes and and shuts it down.

I understand that, but the fact is, there will be inconsistency no matter what. If it is widespread (which it doesn't seem to be) then sure, there is probably a need to address it. If it's occurring in a few threads here and there, then yeah, it is something to be taken up with the Mods in question. That's what I was getting at.

zxcvbob
December 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
Whoever the current owner of the site is (not gonna go into that whole mess) is the owner - THR is not a free-for-all. There are rules that must be abided by, and one of those is that any issues with the Mods be taken up with those Mods in private, so a to keep the drama on the board to a minimum.

Too bad there wasn't a rule against... well, you know, a couple of months ago.

A-190
December 6, 2008, 01:30 PM
Ahhhhh, the eternal web based lament of "Its my right and you cant stop me" rant.............Really I ahve noticed time and again, forum after forum where members (guest) complain that the "mods" are denying them a "constitutional right" of free speech because that (the member) cant say any thing thier heart desires and decide they can violate any of the TOS which the forum has posted and which we each agreed to before becoming a member.
And I have also noticed, time after time, the mods and eventually the owners stateing simply "if you dont like it leave" :cuss:

Treo
December 6, 2008, 01:38 PM
My issue isn’t that one thread that was locked, and I certainly have no issue W/ Jeff. I don’t care for the way Justin locks every thread that mentions Wal-Mart irrespective of context or content (and that is censorship) but that’s nothing new.

My issue is more that it’s frustrating to me to be participating in a thread that I assume is OK because there’s a Mod participating as well and have another Mod login and lock it (apparently) arbitrarily. My suggestion to fix what I perceive as a problem (Please note the attempt at problem solving V. problem creating) is that unless a thread is in obvious violation of the rules (I.E. it turns political or begins to advocate illegal solutions to situations) Once a Mod has participated in a thread only he can lock it.

Perfect example, I start a thread about Wal-Mart’s plan to start video taping gun buyers ArtEatman, or ArfinGreebly participate, Justin can’t just log in and arbitrarily lock it because it’s about Wal-Mart
Not to bash Justin that was just a perfect example.

To those who want me to take this up W/ the Mods privately I read your suggestions and I choose not to comply, so please quit suggesting it. I would seem that at least one (unknown) Mod feels that this is a legitimate topic as he chose to move it rather than lock it

Ahhhhh, the eternal web based lament of "Its my right and you cant stop me" rant.............

Please feel free to quote a single specific example of me doing that or claiming that any of my civil rights were violated on this forum

Ky Larry
December 6, 2008, 01:44 PM
My first impulse is to say "If you don't like the way the game is played, then pick up your marbles and find another game." However, I know that the most inconsistet , maddening, and unpredictable creature on earth is a human being. When humans are involved in anything, we bring all our biases and inconsistencies. I learned long ago to take what what goes on on this (and other) boards with a grain of salt. THR isn't the only game in town.

BullfrogKen
December 6, 2008, 03:14 PM
Perfect example, I start a thread about Wal-Mart’s plan to start video taping gun buyers ArtEatman, or ArfinGreebly participate, Justin can’t just log in and arbitrarily lock it because it’s about Wal-Mart
Not to bash Justin that was just a perfect example.

Treo, sometimes one Staff member will ask if any of the Staff think a thread he participated in should be closed, but he doesn't want to take arbitrary action. And specifically because he participated in it, he doesn't want to close it and appear he's using his "mod power" to effectively give him the final word in a discussion.

The Staff are all different people. They're about as diverse as population groups come. Jeff's posts were specifically aimed at cleaning up the mess S&T had become. If you thought one of the Staff closed a thread without good cause, especially one another Staff member participated in, a PM to all those involved might have been a good idea.

Treo
December 6, 2008, 04:54 PM
If you thought one of the Staff closed a thread without good cause, especially one another Staff member participated in, a PM to all those involved might have been a good idea.

Again this wasn’t aimed at any one particular staff member

Treo
December 6, 2008, 06:37 PM
Ok I've stated what I perceived to be the issue and made a suggestion for an improvement. I've received some feed back and I don't wish to argue weather or not my complaint was appropriate. so before this thread degenerates further I'm requesting that it be locked.

PS I would like to know if my suggestion was even considered.

Mal H
December 6, 2008, 06:58 PM
Yes, it was and still is being considered and discussed.

Closed at the request of the OP.

Justin
December 8, 2008, 11:47 AM
We encourage our members to post fiction, however, please do realize that any fiction posted still must conform to THR's code of conduct.

As you might suspect, stories that involve shooting members of law enforcement, torture, or salaciously writing about other activities that are in violation of the code of conduct that you agreed to abide by will be locked. down.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can We Get Some Consistency In The Moderation Of The Forum Please?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!