Buying rifle on line

PDA

WormCan
December 6, 2008, 07:18 PM
If I buy a rifle on line like GunBroker or GunsAmerica then my question is that when it arrives to my local sporting good store and after looking it over real good then do I have the option to refuse the rifle if something is wrong with it ? Do I have to pay for return ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying rifle on line" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SE-Okla.shooter
December 6, 2008, 07:24 PM
Depends on seller, some will give you 3 day inspection with conditions like no shooting. Other will tell you unless they did not describe the gun right you can not return. All most all will require you to pay shipping both ways.

DeathByCactus
December 6, 2008, 07:25 PM
If there is something wrong with the rifle that you were not aware of prior to purchase and you have not yet paid for it, I don't see why you couldn't refuse.

If you purchase a rifle and you find something wrong with it that you were not aware of prior to purchase that should have been told to you and you have paid, then you might have to take legal action through a court system.

351 WINCHESTER
December 6, 2008, 07:29 PM
Read the small print. Some guns (most) are sold as is - period. Now if the gun was misrepresented you may have recourse from the seller or thru mediation thru gunbroker.

Shawnee
December 6, 2008, 07:35 PM
Best way to deal with that is to contact the each seller before you bid and get answers to all that from them. Many sellers are pretty reasonable but many others are shysters. Always best to get questions answered before bidding. And don't be bashful with your questions. If a seller doesn't like your reasonable questions it's a good bet you don't want to be involved with him or her.

:cool:

woof
December 6, 2008, 07:48 PM
+1 Shawnee, caveat emptor

WormCan
December 6, 2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the help. I think you are right about me contacting the seller first. I have sent them a message but I hope to talk to them Monday about this particular subject on the phone. From what Ive read on theyre advertisement its seems that all sales are final. The sellers name is "Tin Star Shooting Range" if anyone has any comments about them. They do have a good rating.

lipadj46
December 6, 2008, 08:25 PM
If it's gunbroker ask all questions first because once you bid you are locked in unless the seller let's you out of the deal. I have bought 2 rifles via the internet (gunbroker and auction arms) and have had no problems. They were new rifles though from reputable sellers. Most sales are "as is - no refunds" so make sure to look at the terms of the sale.

Ratshooter
December 6, 2008, 08:28 PM
I have bought and sold several guns on GB. Every seller I have dealt with will send you extra photos and help with a more detailed description if its needed.

I have sold several guns where the buyer wants more photos and a couple have called me and we had some nice conversations. More details were given and the person asking has always bought the gun.

I don't want a negetive feedback. No one else does either. It seems like these sellers will jump through hoops to give you as much info as you need. I have no worries about dealing with folks on GB. And I DO look at the feedback first.

red_cedar
December 6, 2008, 08:52 PM
I always try to pay with credit card for gun purchases, most things in fact.
If there is a problem one can always dispute the charge with credit card company.

jhansman
December 6, 2008, 08:54 PM
One warning: a friend of mine just received a gun via GB that was NOT insured by the seller before sending. When it got to the FFL, they opened the box to find the stock basically crushed. The seller blamed UPS and claimed that since the buyer did not insist on insurance, he was out of luck and could not return the gun. UPS says it was shipped that way. Moral? Pay for insurance, even if you 'know' the condition of the gun prior to shipping.

WormCan
December 7, 2008, 08:01 AM
More great information. Thanks for the help.

Art Eatman
December 7, 2008, 10:05 AM
If you pay via a postal money order, any fraud is then mail fraud. Postal inspectors are noted for an absolute lack of any sense of humor when dealing with this federal offense.

If a seller doesn't want a PMO, I'd skip that deal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying rifle on line" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!