Question about the Dillon 550

PDA

Mr. Chitlin
December 6, 2008, 08:21 PM
A friend is wanting to sell his 550. I own a 650 for my high volume handgun ammo and 1050 set up for 223, but have never seen or used a 550. I have about 8 toolheads set up for the 650. Do the powder measures interchange between the 550 and 650?? He says that he has a 550 that is about 6 months old, and complete toolheads for 45 ACP, 40SW, 38 Spec and 9mm. He's wanting $400 for the whole setup.

What I have in mind is selling the handgun caliber stuff and setting the 550 up for rifle (243, 25/06, 308, 30/06, 30/30 and 45/70) plus the low volume handgun calibers (44 Mag, 41 mag and 480 Ruger). I already have the dies for these, so I assume I'd just need the shellplate and the expander for the powder die, plus enough toolheads for the dies. I would swap the powder measures around between the toolheads.

Am I on course or is there something I am missing?? I think I'll go look at it tonight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about the Dillon 550" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highlander 5
December 6, 2008, 08:52 PM
It's been awhile since I owned a 550 but IIRC yes the powder measures are the same.

Chief-7700
December 6, 2008, 08:57 PM
Buy it...........
Chief

jjohnson
December 8, 2008, 09:02 AM
I can't answer the question about powder measures - but I know the very helpful technical staff at Dillon could give you a definitive answer with a single toll free call.

The price is pretty good - if you look at www.dillonprecision.com, you can add up the retail value of what you're looking at - and you will see it's a very good buy.

Oh by the way - Dillon has lifetime warranty (and they DO mean it) so I wouldn't hesitate for a moment at buying some Dillon equipment 'used.'

I've been using the 550B press for ten years or so - and put at least 50k rounds of reloads through it. The only thing I wanted to buy extra is the "strong mount," which was worth every penny.

Mr. Chitlin
December 8, 2008, 10:53 AM
So much for a good deal...

I looked at it, and the "complete toolheads" were empty toolheads with the caliber conversion kits only. Basically the press, 3 empty toolheads and 3 caliber conversions, no dies.

Oh well, I probably didn't need it anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about the Dillon 550" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!