"Limits" on a 1911?

PDA

Eightball
December 6, 2008, 07:35 PM
I just recently started packing around an aluminum-alloy framed 1911 (winter came, I can conceal it). So, I started thinking. Obviously, they're meant to be carried C&L, and carrying a 1911 becomes easy as weather gets colder and you have coats, etc.

So, I started thinking.....how long should a 1911 stay C&L? Does it have a "shelf life" in condition one?

And secondly......as the temperature drops, what should one do differently? Change the lube? Oil more? Oil less? Don't fire if the temperature drops below -5*F (a very real possibility where I am)?

And, does any of the above change with an aluminum alloy frame as opposed to a "straight up" steel frame?

I think too much :p

EDIT: I forgot to add......my 1911 doubles as a "car gun" out of necessity; my current residence (a college dorm) will not allow me to keep it indoors.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Limits" on a 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bpl
December 6, 2008, 07:37 PM
I think since you are carrying it under your coat and close to your body, ie. it will be warm, there is no need to change anything. Probably should clean the lint out now and then, just like in any other weather.

Beagle-zebub
December 6, 2008, 10:18 PM
I strongly doubt that 5 degrees Fahrenheit will cause it much trouble. Korea got pretty cold, as did the Battle of the Bulge. The 1911 was, as always, a secondary weapon in each of those conflicts, but if there had been a jam you could credibly attribute to cold weather, it's likely one of us would have heard of it and stirred the pot with the story.

Eightball
December 8, 2008, 12:42 PM
*bump*

Anyone?

Polish_Pounder
December 8, 2008, 01:33 PM
I always find my 1911 stays warm to the touch when next to my body, either IWB or OWB. When I open carry it can get a little cold, but not enough to affect the lube. Where I live it only gets down to about 10 F during the winter.

-Polish

WardenWolf
December 8, 2008, 01:37 PM
A 1911 uses direct recoil instead of a gas-based recoil system, and is thus far less effected by temperature. If the bullet goes bang, it'll still cycle properly.

As for how long it should be carried cocked, it's not particularly good for the mainspring to be like for extended periods, although replacement mainsprings aren't that hard to come by. It won't hurt it too much.

Nickotym
December 8, 2008, 04:26 PM
mine has been cocked and locked except for firing every couple months since i refinished it 3 or 4 years ago. Doesn't hurt it a bit. mags can be left full for long periods without trouble too.

Eightball
December 8, 2008, 07:28 PM
mags can be left full for long periods without trouble too.Yeah, I've read enough threads about the mag spring issue to even worry about that; it's the firearm itself, especially in temperatures that are rapidly approaching (and often will exceed) -5*F in this area.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Limits" on a 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!