Thinkin' hard about a Dan Wesson 1911...

PDA

Jason_G
December 6, 2008, 11:53 PM
...but which one?

I'm getting a $2,000 stipend this summer. Looking to spend $1,000 or less on this purchase though. I plan on it being a carry piece.

From DW owners out there, (especially those who own different models), what model would you recommend. I'd prefer .45 to 10mm or .40, although the RZ-10 is appealing. I'm leaning towards either the c-bob or the PM7, but can't decide.

Jason

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinkin' hard about a Dan Wesson 1911..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mpc12
December 7, 2008, 12:09 AM
I love the bobtail gun for concealability, but there is the trade off in sight radius moving from the 5" gun, which most people will typically shoot better. If you can shoot the 4 1/4" as well, go for the bobtail. Do make sure to handle one first as they are not for everyone.

R.

Beagle-zebub
December 7, 2008, 12:10 AM
The C-Bob is the more popular carry piece, and for pretty good reasons: front-strap checkering, no forward cocking serrations (you should see what they do to holsters), and sights that aren't going to snag on anything. Oh, and it's a Commander-size bobtail.

conan
December 7, 2008, 12:25 AM
Since it's a carry piece, Bobtailed commander!

Eightball
December 7, 2008, 12:27 AM
I'm leaning towards either the c-bobWe have a winner.

From packing around my 5", normal frame Kimber, I can tell you....that bobtail would make a world of difference in printing vs. not (well, to me....not too many people seem to notice one way or another, but you can't be too careful!), and if the 4" bit gets to you, it's easily done to tune the things so they can shoot like lightning (I've seen it done....quarter size groups at 10 yards, weak-side shooting unsupported IS doable with a 4" 1911).

The DW CBOB is the next 1911 I'm buying. Might be a while before I get that much spare change again, but from the one's I've seen in stores (doesn't happen too often--they get sold, real fast!), they feel amazing.

Just my opinion.

Tamlin
December 7, 2008, 12:53 AM
I bought the PM7 because I wanted a DW and found a great deal on a slightly used one. I like the 5" bbl - the gun is VERY accurate. I think I would have been just as happy with the CBOB, though. If I had found the same great deal on a CBOB, I think I would have chosen that model instead of the PM7, just because of the looks and carryability (is that a word?). But again, I am very happy with the PM7!

SRT1
December 7, 2008, 01:11 AM
Another one for the CBOB! I love mine! In all fairness though, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the DW's listed.
Good luck with your decision!
SRT
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh281/sarge43_pics/PICT0009-10.jpg

Craig M. Arnold
December 7, 2008, 01:11 AM
I am afraid that I am not going to be much help to you. I have both and love both. I would not want to choose between the two of them.

Best regards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/cmarnold7/MiscPictures708071.jpg

MICHAEL T
December 7, 2008, 03:17 AM
Bob tail was my choice . Great pistol.

71Commander
December 7, 2008, 09:01 AM
I bought this one two weeks ago. 500 rounds through it in three sessions. Not a mishap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/tucker13/2f61531a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/tucker13/e29e0a3f.jpg

PAPACHUCK
December 7, 2008, 09:48 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is....SWEEEEEET!

benderx4
December 7, 2008, 11:34 AM
Local Gander Mt has a PM7 "factory second" for sale for $799. I (nor the store personnel) can't find the "blemish" for the life of us. Great price on a great gun. I would, however, get the Commander if you planned to carry this gun. Good luck!

krs
December 7, 2008, 02:09 PM
Nothing but good heard about all the DW guns.

HorseSoldier
December 7, 2008, 02:42 PM
Another +1 on the CBOB if it's for carry. 45 or 10mm are both good choices, though 45 ACP may be the better one if you're on a budget.

Jason_G
December 7, 2008, 04:13 PM
Man the pics are making me drool.

no forward cocking serrations (you should see what they do to holsters)

Thanks for that bit of info. I've never had a pistol with the front slide serrations as I've never had any problems press-checking without them and didn't see the need, so this is something I would've never known about.

Hmmm... I think the c-bob would be best for carry, but the traditionalist in me sort of wants that 5" barrel. Dilemmas, dilemmas.

It'll probably be the c-bob I guess.

Any other input?

Jason

stevemis
December 7, 2008, 09:13 PM
I have a CBOB and am completely 100% thrilled with it. Fit and finish are amazing, it's tight, accurate and 100% reliable with everything I feed it.

I picked up a factory blem at a great price. The blems will typically have "BLEM" written on the label (by hand) and a strange upside-down looking Y near the serial number.

My blem is a tiny dot near the grip. I've seen other blems in the past and have been unable to find any defects. The folks at DW are obviously perfectionists.

I was happy to have purchased the blem ... only a few days after buying it, smacked it into an aluminum ladder (OC) and scuffed up the matte finish on the slide...

If it's going to be a carry gun, certainly get a blem. You'll save a bundle and won't be too upset when the inevitable happens.

Jason_G
December 7, 2008, 09:31 PM
If it's going to be a carry gun, certainly get a blem. You'll save a bundle and won't be too upset when the inevitable happens.
I would love to do that, but the ones with the blemishes will probably be gone by the time I get my check. I won't get this stipend 'till this coming August, so I'll probably have to pay full price for it, otherwise a factory second like you mention would certainly be the best option.

Jason

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinkin' hard about a Dan Wesson 1911..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!