Advice needed on a (preferably) SA 9mm CCW

PDA

bhhacker
December 7, 2008, 04:01 AM
I have a full size 10mm and .45 for regular concealed carry but as of late ive been thinking of getting a gun thats cheaper on ammo and that is less of a hassle to carry. I love the SA triggers (its what i shoot best with) and i dont have any brand loyalty.

I would prefer it have 7 or more rounds
SA only preferable
I like triggers that have 5 or less lbs of pressure as it helps me with accuracy
I dont feel like breaking the bank so lets put the money cap at 500$ and im not afraid to buy used. I would prefer to have it less than that but i AM a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Thank you guys for your time and input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice needed on a (preferably) SA 9mm CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boldkharma
December 7, 2008, 04:18 AM
I would say you need a Browning Hi-Power. I don't know about the 5 pound trigger pull. I removed the mag safety on mine and it is much better. I think the BHP is all you need. As a big 1911 fan, the BHP is a great compliment. I purchased my latest Browning MKIII, like new for 495.

PAPACHUCK
December 7, 2008, 09:11 AM
Take a look at some of the polymer-framed, striker-fired autos out there. Many of them reset in SA mode giving you a nice SA feel to the trigger. Carrying an all metal gun gets real old, real quick.

Try to hold and dry-fire the SA XD9SC, the Taurus 24/7 Compact or Millennium Pro(3rd gen), or even a Glock with a 3.5# connector. These guns will be easier to carry and still do the job.

rklessdriver
December 7, 2008, 09:56 AM
You only have a few choices for a true SA 9mm.

Browning Hi Power

9mm 1911 like the Kimber Tactical Pro, Pro Carry, Springfield makes a few as does Para Ordance and STI.

Star BM or B. I can't believe I just recommended a Star pistol to someone... :what: However I have seen some really nice BM's people have tricked out for carry guns.

You might find a BHP for under $500 but it'll be hard.

1911 in 9mm ain't gonna happen for $500

Star BM or B can be had for under $300

good luck
Will

jehu
December 7, 2008, 11:12 AM
H&K P7 is the gun you seek.:rolleyes:

bhhacker
December 7, 2008, 11:53 AM
Keep in mind that i am trying to get a smaller framed pistol. arent the BHPs full sized?

Gun Slinger
December 7, 2008, 12:16 PM
Take a look at some of the polymer-framed, striker-fired autos out there. Many of them reset in SA mode giving you a nice SA feel to the trigger. Carrying an all metal gun gets real old, real quick.

I second what PAPACHUCK says. A whole lotta wisdom in those words.

A good starting point is the Glock 19. Very size/capacity efficient and relatively economical.

rbernie
December 7, 2008, 12:58 PM
The BHP is considered full size, but it's got considerably less girth and overall size than, say, a Sig P226.

I have CZs and Sigs and other DA/SA platforms, I've got/had XD and M&P and Glock striker-fired pistols, and I've had several 1911s in 9mm. For a true SA 9mm in a carryable form, the BHP cannot be beat.

I have a MkIII with the mag safety removed and C&S internals, and the trigger pull is the equal of my (late) Kimber TacticalPro II 9mm (only with 15+1 instead of 9+1 form).

Snarlingiron
December 7, 2008, 02:54 PM
While Glocks aren't SA, they really aren't DA either. They are just kind of a different trigger unto themselves. With that said, give the Glock 19 a try. In the world of 9mm pistols, it is difficult to find anything better. Since you want it for carry purposes, the Glock 26 is also a good option. I carry mine daily with 12 round capacity magazines. It makes a formidable concealed carry package.

I have an FN HP, and have had it for many years. I have hardly touched it since I got my Glock 19. I picked up the Glock 26 about a year ago.

Pilot
December 7, 2008, 03:16 PM
Browning Hi Power

HK P7 PSP or M8

full sized or compact 1911 in 9MM

If you enjoyed reading about "Advice needed on a (preferably) SA 9mm CCW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!