Double-check my .308 load development.....

PDA

kotengu
September 21, 2003, 08:09 PM
OK - so I loaded up a few rounds of a few different bullets to give the "optimum charge" load development a try. I only have access to a 100yd range, which I know is a little short, but it's all I've got right now. I'm shooting a suped-up FAL, so I'm using LC brass to help ease the pain a gasgun inflicts on brass. The powder is Varget.

First pic is the 100gr Sierra HP

If you enjoyed reading about "Double-check my .308 load development....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kotengu
September 21, 2003, 08:11 PM
Next is the 125gr Speer TNT. I think the reason this one opened up a little is that I had to seat it so far off the lands. It was about 45 thousandths short of them, and still only had about .200" of bullet in the case (and I have a very short throat) - has anybody had good luck with these? How do they like to be seated?

kotengu
September 21, 2003, 08:15 PM
Last is the 175gr Berger VLD. I only got three of my five shots downrange due to some loading issues (this one won't feed through a magazine due to the bullet shape), but they looked OK so far. I notcied an odd occurance, though - the 43.5gr charge showed a slightly cratered primer, but the 44.0gr charge had no cratering whatsoever. Any ideas, or is this just par for the course (slight variety normal)?

If you enjoyed reading about "Double-check my .308 load development....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!