124gr 9mm Nyclad??

PDA

sniper7369
December 7, 2008, 01:21 PM
I picked up a box of Federal 124gr Nyclad 9mm ammo yesterday, my FLGS had one box hanging around that they gave me cheap. From what I read they have been discontinued for quite a while, but I was just wondering if these are any good for a SD round? If not I'll probably just shoot 'em up and use the brass for reloading something better.

If you enjoyed reading about "124gr 9mm Nyclad??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PO2Hammer
December 7, 2008, 01:29 PM
Nyclad! Now there's a blast from the past.

I was a big fan of Nyclad in .357 magnum years ago.

Basicly it's a plain lead HP with a skin of nylon, nothing special as a hollowpoint. Save for posterity or shoot 'em up for brass.

jonnyc
December 7, 2008, 01:46 PM
Great ammo. It's still my HD "bedstand" load. Did you get the HP or the flat tip?

sniper7369
December 7, 2008, 07:43 PM
Great ammo. It's still my HD "bedstand" load. Did you get the HP or the flat tip?
I got the HP. Seems like it would expand pretty well if it's a soft lead bullet with just a nylon jacket. I might hang onto some of it to keep in my 3904 "garage gun".

2TransAms
December 7, 2008, 11:24 PM
I've got some in .38. The coating makes the barrel super easy to clean.

Stephen A. Camp
December 8, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hello. Federal's 9mm 124-gr. Nyclad HP usually feeds well in most autos and expanded pretty reliably. They group nicely in my experience with them in Hi Powers, SIG-Sauers, HK P7's and CZ-75's.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/hipowersandhandguns/Ammunition/9mmFederal124NycladEXPback1.jpg
This standard pressure load usually expands in most "soft" targets. Average velocity from a Hi Power is usually around 1100 ft/sec.

Ammunition that expands more reliably under more varied conditions now exists but I would not be bothered to use this "old technology" load for serious purposes.

Best.

If you enjoyed reading about "124gr 9mm Nyclad??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!