Instructions on what this stuff is

PDA

Bullnettles
December 7, 2008, 02:28 PM
I have two questions I need answered. I have looked over the internet and cannot find either of the answers I am looking for. My college professor and I would always talk about guns, hunting, and this one spot he wanted to nail a buck from 900 yards back in Alabama. I was wanting to get into reloading, so I asked him about it and he said I used but, but haven't in a while. $200 later I have a Lyman turret press, scales, etc etc etc w/500 casings for a 30-06. Great deal I thought. I have reloaded maybe 600 rounds of various calibers, but I don't know how to use the powder auto-measure device and I have no idea what the little piece on the turret press (that's held on by two allen screws) is for. I can have pictures, but I need to dig out the camera. The powder measurer looks like it would be most beneficial if I could figure it out. It even has a place where it looks like a hose could go (which I have no idea where it would go; my guess, the turret piece.) It's not electrical. Thanks for the help guys and I'll see it I can dig out the camera.

If you enjoyed reading about "Instructions on what this stuff is" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 7, 2008, 02:35 PM
900 yard bucks huh?
Good luck with that!

Here are some Lyman turrent press instructions:
Maybe it will help?
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses-and-kits/pdf/LyC_RPK_Tmag.pdf

rcmodel

Bullnettles
December 7, 2008, 02:40 PM
Now I know I'm missing pieces, haha. I bought a primer, so it's okay. I will search that site for the powder measurer. Thanks again RCmodel.

EDIT: Found out I'm missing another piece that I'll be calling Lyman for. I guess after 23 years, some stuff is bound to be misplaced. As for the buck, he's nuts but to each their own. He's shot at three and missed.

NCsmitty
December 7, 2008, 03:54 PM
As for the buck, he's nuts but to each their own. He's shot at three and missed.

They were probably too close.

NCsmitty

The Bushmaster
December 7, 2008, 04:59 PM
Bullnettles...Go spend $20.00 and get a Lyman's 49th Edition loading manual and read it...You will find it most worth while...

Bullnettles
December 7, 2008, 05:20 PM
I read a couple of manuals my buddy had and I never found a setup method (besides "make it like an assembly line".) Neither were Lyman nor did they mention anything about a #55 powder dispenser... Oh well, now that I'll have the adapter and know what the thing is called, I'll be buying a Lyman reloading book. Is the 49th the most current manual? Does anyone else measure their powder three times or is this excessive? I hate having more questions than answers. Thanks for all the input guys.

Jim Watson
December 7, 2008, 05:27 PM
Lyman's 49th is the current edition.

The No 55 powder measure is a complicated little gadget on a design a hundred years old. Study the directions and fool with it some to learn what the three "slides" do to the amount of powder it puts out.

I don't know what you mean by "measure their powder three times." For ordinary ammunition comparable to factory loads, I set the measure to deliver the desired weight and go to loading, checking the weight every ten to reassure myself that the powder has not packed down in the hopper or a screw come loose. For shooting at 900 yards I weigh each load... once.

Ol` Joe
December 7, 2008, 05:30 PM
Does anyone else measure their powder three times or is this excessive? I hate having more questions than answers.

If you are talking of weighting 3 charges with each setting to adjust your "measure", yes I weight 3-4. The measures are not going to throw exactly the same charge no matter what brand, or what they claim/others say. Flake and extruded powders are worst in the respect then ball. There will be a +/-0.2gr avg variation from the mean, and until you figure out just what the average weight thrown is, you need all the data points you can get.

BTW the suggestion to get Lyman manual is a good one. The answers to the how and whys of questions such as this one are in it in the "how to" section in the front half of the book.

rcmodel
December 7, 2008, 05:36 PM
Setting a powder measure is best done by throwing 5 or 10 charges into the scale pan, weighing the result, and dividing by five or ten.

That will take into account any variation between single charges, and make the average charge weight much closer to what you want it to be over the long haul.

rcmodel

Bullnettles
December 7, 2008, 06:12 PM
Ahhh, I see. So once I get this #55 set up, I won't have to measure the powder every time. Nice. When I was saying three times, I was running each charge onto an electric scale, to the balance beam, then my friend's old scale. I wanted to be certain I was getting a good reading, then after a couple of good readings (the starting scale could be a bit tempermental) I'd start using two. Once this #55 is set up, it sounds like it will make my life a lot easier. When I call Lyman, I will buy the 49th off of them as well. I can't believe I never sought out a site like this when I started collecting guns. Thanks again.

Walkalong
December 7, 2008, 06:21 PM
Throw 5 to 10 charges to settle your measure down, then throw 10 more, measure each one, and like rcmodel said, divide by 10. Everytime you use the measure throw several charges to settle it down before charging cases.

Or you could do like I do.

Settle the measure down, start measuring charges, get a setting that throws dead on your target weight and or a hair over and a hair under. I am too lazy to do 10 and divide anymore. I used to though.

dagger dog
December 7, 2008, 06:58 PM
Bull,

The practice of weighing every 10th throw from your calibrated powder is also a good habit to get into, just in case an adjustment has slipped.!

Can't be too carefull!

Bullnettles
December 7, 2008, 11:25 PM
I like to weigh them all. It's a hassle, but it only takes one to permanently disfigure someone. Maybe after I set it up and it works 100% of the time will I be doing a one in ten measurement. I'm glad to know it can be done though. I'm a bit paranoid, I know.

dagger dog
December 8, 2008, 08:02 AM
I weigh every charge thrown also, more for consistancy than any thing else.The extra time spent is not a problem. I guess competetive shooters run through so much ammo it woul be impractible.

Owen
December 8, 2008, 10:09 AM
Once you have the powder measure where you want it, the purpose of weighing charges is to ensure that the adjustment hasn't moved.

Weighing every charge is a waste of time. Weighing and adjusting every charge by weight is probably detrimental. In the end, its the volume that matters, not the weight.

Benchrest shooters throw charges by volume.

TX1911fan
December 8, 2008, 12:03 PM
I weigh the first couple, then every 10, then i visually inspect every cartridge to ensure there isn't one with significantly more or less powder. Only then do I seat bullets. I use a Lee Auto Disk powder measure, and it is pretty accurate, but it does fluctuate up or down a tenth of a grain or so. I'm not too anal about it since I don't use full loads anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Instructions on what this stuff is" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!