Creating a synthetic stock

PDA

kcmarine
December 7, 2008, 04:14 PM
I was just wondering how to create a synthetic stock. Not buy one, create one. I probably won't, but I'm just curious. Let's say I'm talking about a Remington 700 short action. Lookin' all tacticized with the electronicals and stuff...

If you enjoyed reading about "Creating a synthetic stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gvnwst
December 7, 2008, 05:06 PM
Well, I don't know how the big companies do it (probably with injection molding) but i have access to a 3-D printer,, at the local tech center. This device allows models constructed in 3-D CAD to be simply printed out, just by laying down layers of plastic. I asked, and supposidly it is very strong. Anything you can desing,, it can make, as long as it is small enough, so i am not surew if mine can print full length stocks.....

Jerry D
December 7, 2008, 05:21 PM
the big companies use injection molding - pouring liquid plastic I believe into the mold - let it harden and then remove the stock.

To make your own - you could possibly write up a script for a CNC machine and start with a solid piece of plastic or wood. I believe this is the easiest way. If no access to a CNC machine then you can carve it out. Use a drill/router to cut the inlet for the action/stock etc...

You could also create one from fiberglass... with some metal pieces for support however this will be more difficult to do a good job on.

rcmodel
December 7, 2008, 05:25 PM
the big companies use injection moldingSome companies do.

Others use hand laid fiberglas, or carbon-fiber, or a combination of both in a mold, one strip at a time.

That is how the better ones are made.

rcmodel

Jerry D
December 7, 2008, 05:55 PM
the big companies as in - Savage/Browning/Remington - the quality of the stock does vary between these companies but none are on par with the higher quality/aftermarket synthetic stocks.

Weatherby uses a better design

Savage now has this accu stock which is I believe injected molded still but has an aluminum bedding block/strip that strengthens the forearm

After thinking about this some more, if you use a solid piece of plastic you must be careful as it will be easy to melt it with power tools.

jpwilly
December 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
Creation would require an act of God. You on the other hand could make one if you make a mold of high density foam and hand lay up some epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth. I'm betting injection molding is a little out of your price range.

J23
December 7, 2008, 08:08 PM
Once a friend and I built one from fiberglass and shreaded carbon fiber that he had in his body shop. It was very strong, and after much sanding and fiddling, we actually got it to fit and it didnt look too bad. The gun was an older Mauser that didnt have a stock, so we painted it and stuck it on the gun. Subsequently the gun was sold, so I cant comment on the long term reliability or strength, but it held up to that 8mm for probably 50 to 100 rounds while we had it.

So yes, it can be done.. we always talked about building another with elaborate features, but you know how free time is... about as abundant as free money.

J23
December 7, 2008, 08:09 PM
I just called by buddy because I couldnt remember... we ended up glass bedding it, installing sling swivels and a pachmeyer recoil pad that we had laying around.

The Deer Hunter
December 8, 2008, 01:08 PM
Creation would require an act of God. You on the other hand could make one if you make a mold of high density foam and hand lay up some epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth. I'm betting injection molding is a little out of your price range.

That sounds pretty feasable, and since a platic injection manifold alone cost about $20K for a small one, it probably is.

If you enjoyed reading about "Creating a synthetic stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!