My Mayor has an online poll - the questions are tilted to get the answers he wants.

PDA

Primersinmyshoe
December 7, 2008, 09:05 PM
St. Louis, Mo has Mayor Francis Slay. He is anti gun and trying to advance his agenda with a poll that is obviously worded to get the answers he wants. Take a look:

http://mayorslay.com/polls/20081204gun.asp

If you enjoyed reading about "My Mayor has an online poll - the questions are tilted to get the answers he wants." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
indoorsoccerfrea
December 7, 2008, 09:10 PM
seemed relatively balanced to me. I didn't quite grasp the age question though...maybe that's just me.

Pilot
December 7, 2008, 09:16 PM
He's getting his clock cleaned. I love it.

Geneseo1911
December 7, 2008, 09:30 PM
that was pretty juvenile. I did vote, though. Looks like the pro gun forums have found it, as the results are running big time in our favor.

DAVIDSDIVAD
December 7, 2008, 09:35 PM
It said I already voted, hahah.

weird.

ditch_dgr
December 7, 2008, 09:40 PM
I thought it was pretty straight forward, did look like they were looking for a particular answer.

armoredman
December 7, 2008, 09:43 PM
That was funny, especially the age question! Yeah, I saw the slant, but they left wiggle room.

cbrgator
December 7, 2008, 09:50 PM
I just voted. Every single one of my answers happened to be the most popular answer.

I wish it had number of voters.

The Janitor
December 7, 2008, 10:05 PM
What in the f*** kind of question is this:

Which of the following characters is the gun toter closest to your own secret personality?

Annie Oakley, the Wild West sharpshooter
Dirty Harry, the tough movie cop
Elmer Fudd, the wabbit blasting hunter
James Bond, the deadly spy
Barney Fife, the deputy with an unloaded pistol

How can you expect to get reliable data with inconcise questions like this?

Old Fuff
December 7, 2008, 10:09 PM
What in the f*** kind of question is this:

The kind you'd expect from an urban Democrat with an agenda. That, and the way the questions are slanted say a whole lot about the man.

And we will be seeing a lot more of this sort of stuff... :cuss: :barf:

Geno
December 7, 2008, 10:41 PM
Did my part.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 7, 2008, 10:47 PM
He's still getting his butt kicked ; funny stuff! :D

SASD209
December 7, 2008, 10:59 PM
Done my part....hopefully those in power will listen to our voices.

Iggy
December 7, 2008, 11:30 PM
Voted

smee781
December 7, 2008, 11:37 PM
To bad this poll will get shuffeled away and never seen. The anti's will never let it be known!

ccsniper
December 8, 2008, 12:03 AM
i voted

lookn4varmints
December 8, 2008, 12:14 AM
Anyone else note the irony of the mayor's surname, Slay?

bgeddes
December 8, 2008, 01:32 AM
Which of the following conditions do you think is the most important cause of gun violence in the US?

The availability of guns
The way children are raised
The influence of TV, movies, video games, or the Internet
Anger

Add that to the Annie Oakley question. ***?

coop923
December 8, 2008, 01:46 AM
Voted. Didn't answer the questions that no useful data could be derived from.

wyocarp
December 8, 2008, 02:13 AM
It said I had already voted as well. I hadn't.

mbt2001
December 8, 2008, 08:54 AM
That was the worst poll ever... Felt like I was voting on some kids blog.

They misquoted the 2nd amendment BTW... Idiots.

Kind of Blued
December 8, 2008, 08:57 AM
Ok. I literally shuddered immediately before my brain even registered that I was looking at a picture of a revolver being pointed at me with a finger on the trigger. Yeah, that turned even me off to guns. Holy cow. It makes me want to slap somebody for visually assaulting me.

Anyway, are we sure this isn't a joke? It seems like a class project done by third graders learning how to make a website using outdated programming I learned in the 90s... :confused:

Also:
Part of the debate about gun ownership hinges on how we interpret the U.S. Constitution. The exact words of the Constitution are as follows: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed upon.” Do you think these words guarantee each person the right to own a gun, or do they protect the right of citizens to form a militia without implying that each individual has the right to own a gun?

When are we distributing the memo? Did some people miss it? It shall read:

"Nine smart people in robes got together and talked about this one. There's now a correct answer and an incorrect answer. Have your secretary figure it out for you."

Atla
December 8, 2008, 09:11 AM
Retarded.

6_gunner
December 8, 2008, 11:01 AM
Some of the questions were ridiculous and pointless, but I voted. The antis are still getting whupped.

What the heck was the deal with the age question?!? Would it have been too difficult for them to put ACTUAL AGES rather than "Rock, Bow, Musket..." Jeesh, how do these people even take themselves seriously.

ZombieHunter
December 8, 2008, 11:46 AM
yeah...are we sure this wasn't a joke?

tyler500e
December 8, 2008, 01:06 PM
voted.

zombienerd
December 9, 2008, 11:25 AM
Current Results:

http://www.mayorslay.com/polls/20081204gunresults.asp

Well in favor of 2a so far :P

zombienerd
December 9, 2008, 11:29 AM
To bad this poll will get shuffeled away and never seen. The anti's will never let it be known!

Well, It appears every poll he's done is still on the site, even the ones that may be counter to his views... But I sincerely doubt that anyone will ever "publish" this to the media... Maybe we should send a link to the local media there!

As for it being a joke, the rest of the site is obviously the Mayor's page... The blogs are real, podcasts are real, and the poll shows up after clicking through several times through the site, it's real. He must at least have a sense of humor for some of those questions.

zombienerd
December 9, 2008, 11:38 AM
Not sure how much it will do, But I emailed 3 of the major news stations in St. Louis, including the Fox News channel for the area. I'd expect to see it on Fox before the others, but at least I'm doing my part.

Maybe a few other people could join in the mailings :)

The results are at: http://www.mayorslay.com/polls/20081204gunresults.asp to include in the emails.

natecade1
December 9, 2008, 12:07 PM
Not sure how much it will do, But I emailed 3 of the major news stations in St. Louis, including the Fox News channel for the area. I'd expect to see it on Fox before the others, but at least I'm doing my part.

Maybe a few other people could join in the mailings

The results are at: http://www.mayorslay.com/polls/20081204gunresults.asp to include in the emails.

Doh!
I would have waited til the poll closed. cause now the media will urge the bleeding heart liberals to 'rock the vote'

Maxx409
December 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
Voted, hee hee. That was goofy. The wording was pretty slanted and the images alongside didn't help much. Every time my cat fires my revolver from the window, the recoil launches her to the chandelier! :neener:

There was recently a news story about a hapless hunter who shot a deer and was then attacked by the thought-to-be-dead animal. Whose side are you on?

sorry, gotta side on the side of the deer on this one. If I'm out taking a stroll and someone I don't know busts a cap at me and doesn't finish the job.... well, I think he deserves the whuppin! (just a joke BTW, I'm pro hunter, still can't blame it for getting a shot in though :) )

And as far as the "Barney Fife" comment... his pistol was loaded in at least one of the early episodes and because of not learning proper gun safety, had to THEN carry a bullet in his pocket. Still close enough to open a "small" can of whoopa$$ if need be! :eek:

Thanks for the post. Would be nice if the results made the rounds to other local governments though.

jbauch357
December 9, 2008, 12:30 PM
looks like they are tired of the votes giong the opposite way of what they intended, and refused my entry as stating "that I've voted already"...

shdwfx
December 9, 2008, 01:21 PM
Incredibly tasteless illustrations.
I'm specifically thinking of the "tickets to the gun show" T-shirt.

It looks like the poll was put together by a 15 yo (or someone of that mental maturity).

leadcounsel
December 9, 2008, 01:29 PM
I did the poll. Weird poll I must say... leading and stupid questions. But I answerd PRO 2A.

JBURGII
December 10, 2008, 02:50 AM
Would you more likely feel safer or less safe knowing the person sitting next to you at the office or in class was carrying a legally licensed gun?

Safer:
89%
Less safe:
11%

Now correct me if I am wrong, I answered less safe.. my brain was telling me I would feel less safe if they were carrying a legally licensed gun. This insinuates registration?? Trick questions? I been to the DMV, I know how it works.. :scrutiny:

OH, and voted Elmer Fudd,
Which of the following characters is the gun toter closest to your own secret personality?
Didn't really ask if I used said gun like secret personality.. I act like Elmer, REact like Rambo..

ericyp
December 10, 2008, 03:32 AM
Internet polls are usually just for fun and are not taken seriously. That's what this poll is too.

maddog1775
December 10, 2008, 03:55 AM
I agree that the whole page is geared towards making the thought of gun ownership look ridiculous. The fact that the mayor is getting his butt kicked is delicious irony.

By the way, how could someone this juvenile get elected? I expect politicians to handle these kinds of issues with more maturity.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 10, 2008, 10:24 AM
Hey Mayor Slay, does this mean anything to you:

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/epic_fail.jpg

:D :D :D

expvideo
December 10, 2008, 10:45 AM
I actually enjoyed the poll. I didn't think it was anti in any way. I think it was more of an attempt to be humorous about the subject than anything else. A successful attept, in my opinion.

I sided with the deer, lol.

tbreihan
December 10, 2008, 01:43 PM
Slay represents everything that is wrong with municipal government in St. Louis. This is the guy who, when asked during his inaugural campaign in 2000 whether he would consider rescinding the city earnings tax to help stimulate the growth and development of business in the city, replied something to the effect of, "Businesses need to stop asking what the city can do for them and start asking what they can do for the city." :rolleyes: I'm sorry, since when are businesses supposed to act as charities to bail a city government out of catastrophic mismanagement.

If you have any doubts as to what what five decades of liberal, pro-subsidy, anti-business policies do to a place, come to St. Louis. No investment=no business=no residents=no tax base=nothing worth s***. :barf:

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox. That poll is just stupid (though enlightening.) Of course, no poll is going to change Slay and Chief Isom's agenda. If the facts contradict your previously-held beliefs, ignore the facts.

Jim K
December 10, 2008, 02:17 PM
You insane fascist fanatic gun crazy right-wing monsters will not be allowed to win. The poll will be ignored.

All of you who dared vote against my illustrious self will be tracked down and put in re-education camps; those who cannot be rehabilitated will be executed! By order of Heil ME, Mayor.

Jim

KBintheSLC
December 10, 2008, 02:25 PM
Just voted... we are kicking a$$.

alemonkey
December 10, 2008, 08:59 PM
That has to be the most juvenile thing I've ever seen created by an elected official. Yes, I know one of his flunkies put it together, but his name is on it so it's his.

And apparently I'm channeling Annie Oakley.

Paladin7
December 11, 2008, 11:01 PM
Did my part...

Mayor "Slay" how ironic...

nwilliams
December 11, 2008, 11:49 PM

Joke or not we're still winning:D

gitnsige
December 12, 2008, 12:20 AM
voted. am i worried about gun violence? less so if i have a gun.

what ruins my meal at a restaurant? i went with the cigar, but it was a close one.

this mayor, even with his biased skewed options is not getting what he hoped. what a jerk! it will be interesting to see how his re-election goes.

ReadyontheRight
December 12, 2008, 12:52 AM
Which of the following would make you least likely to enjoy your drink and dinner in a City restaurant?

A publicly displayed handgun:
7%
A publicly displayed breast:
5%
A public display of affection:
1%
A loudly squawking child:
55%
A puffed cigar:
32%

How about NONE OF THE ABOVE! I thought we were still living in the U.S.A.!

If any of these ruin your dinner, and you can't just laugh and ask for a new table, you have bigger issues than any politician can ever control.

Ben86
December 12, 2008, 01:32 AM
I want that "tickets to the guns show" t-shirt!

armedandsafe
December 12, 2008, 02:51 AM
I tried to send email using the form at the end of the test, but it said I had already voted. hmmmmm do they have 'bots reading his mail, now? :D

Pops

Vinny
December 12, 2008, 05:39 AM
This poll is an attempt to capture your IP address. In "30 seconds to 10 minutes you’ll have Virginia farm boys hopping around you like jackrabbits." :neener:

Cannonball888
December 12, 2008, 11:05 AM
http://mayorslay.com/images/polls/20081204-0008.jpg

:scrutiny:

expvideo
December 12, 2008, 11:24 AM
What is the problem with this poll? I can see that a lot of people have a problem with the mayor himself, and his policies, but this poll appears to be an attempt at being humorous. And to be fair, he did give a lot of choices in his "what would disturb your meal more" question.

I don't see a problem with the poll. If you couldn't tell from the pictures (especially like the pink knit umm... glock-cozy?.. the one in the above post), this was meant to be funny.

IN>IL
December 13, 2008, 12:26 PM
The antis have taken over and we are losing!

Primersinmyshoe
December 13, 2008, 12:29 PM
I suspect Mr. Mayor is playing with the poll just to make the results reflect his anti gun stand.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 13, 2008, 12:38 PM
I suspect Mr. Mayor is playing with the poll just to make the results reflect his anti gun stand.

I would guarantee it.

Im283
December 13, 2008, 01:07 PM
I would bet the poll results are being skewed by some anti in the mayor's office.

It honestly is the first gun poll I have ever seen us lose.

michiganfan
December 20, 2008, 02:35 PM
Quite the poll.

mgregg85
December 28, 2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah I remember responding to this poll and we were winning by a large majority. Now it seems like several questions have had their results played with to make it seem more even.

JImbothefiveth
December 28, 2008, 10:14 PM
Nine smart people in robes got together and talked about this one. There's now a correct answer
Actually, it appears 4 of them either weren't too smart, or don't care what it really means.

especially like the pink knit umm... glock-cozy?
That looks more to me like a S&W.

azhunter122
December 28, 2008, 10:54 PM
I voted

Mike U.
December 29, 2008, 02:14 AM
Looks like either anti's have come in locust swarms to that poll, or, someone in the mayor's crack-gang is skewing the poll.
Looks like pro-gun is losing the "battle". That is, if you feel it is an honestly run poll.
Oh! Wait! This is a poll generated by a politician. Silly me...Using the word "honestly" when talking about a politician. DOH!

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
December 29, 2008, 03:08 AM
There was recently a news story about a hapless hunter who shot a deer and was then attacked by the thought-to-be-dead animal. Whose side are you on?

The Hunter?
The Deer?

What the hell does that have to do with Gun Control?

-Steve

expvideo
December 29, 2008, 10:11 AM
Do you, or does anyone in your house, own a handgun?

Yes:
55%
No:
45%

Kids, no guns:
3%
Kids, guns:
24%
Kids, guns, and gun locks:
24%
No kids, guns:
32%
No kids, guns, and gun locks:
11%
No kids, no guns:
6%
Hmmm.... Seems to me that 45% of the voters don't have guns in their house, but then it also seems that 91% of them do... This poll has pretty obviously been tampered with.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Mayor has an online poll - the questions are tilted to get the answers he wants." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!