under powered 45 auto's

PDA

Timmer
December 7, 2008, 11:02 PM
hey all. i bought some of these hallow points at the gun show a while back. they seem to be under powered. its like they dont have enough recoil to work the action fully to eject the spent round.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3193/3090805335_f068de8c56_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/3091646526_cf97338d93_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/3090806511_0b4ff9543a_o.jpg

can i pull the bullets and lay a different charge of powder in them? i have no ideal what the weight of the bullets are. i have 86 of them.

If you enjoyed reading about "under powered 45 auto's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sport45
December 7, 2008, 11:09 PM
Sure you can. Just weigh the bullets and pick an appropriate powder (W231 or Titegroup work for me) and charge weight.

I'm assuming you have the approriate reloading equipment to do this. If you are not set up to reload you'll have to put up with the weak performance until they're gone. Just make sure the bullet leaves the barrel every time before you fire the next round. And don't buy reloads from that vendor again. Ever.

Does your gun work okay with factory ball ammo? That would let you know if the problem is with the gun or ammo.

Timmer
December 7, 2008, 11:14 PM
thanks for the fast reply! :)

im not setup to reload these yet, still working on getting everythign i need for 30-06. :p

i have lots of good factory remington stuf to shoot, these have been sitting around collecting dust, just figured id do somethign with them. will i need to resize the case and all that, or since they werent fired just charge and reseat?

not going to buy any more of these from him i can tell you, but the 45 colt's of his sure shoot good :D and inexpenseve. at lest till i get enough brass for that :neener:

loneviking
December 7, 2008, 11:23 PM
You wouldn't happen to be using a Springfield XD45 would you? If you are, and those are 200 gr. round nose, you need to either up the load/change to a different powder, or go to the 230 gr. roundnose. The XD45's have a very strong recoil spring and there are some 200 gr. roundnose loads that just don't have enough 'bang' to cycle the weapon consistently.

Timmer
December 7, 2008, 11:29 PM
yes Sir i am using a xd, a compact 45. im not sure what the weight of the bullet is.

it shoots remington umc 230gr round nose great.

greyling22
December 8, 2008, 12:06 AM
I don't know that I would go through the trouble to pull the bullet and add a different powder for just 86. maybe do a swap at a range buddy?

Timmer
December 13, 2008, 07:07 PM
i talked to them today at the gun show. he said hed buy them back, for what i dont know. but maybe i can just get him to trade some 45LC for them.

green country shooter
December 14, 2008, 10:52 AM
Good excuse to buy a .45 acp revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "under powered 45 auto's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!