Ideal no.55 questions

PDA

Grassman
December 7, 2008, 11:43 PM
I've got an older Ideal No.55 and I have several questions about it.

1. The two adjustments, upper and lower, I assume the upper controls the grain setting? What is the lower one, its a little bigger and mine don't hardy move. Seized up?
2. I guess the two set screws lock your settings in?
3. Do you just put the brass underneath and charge it that way, with a pull of the lever? Is there a special bottom piece for different calibers?
4. What is the piece thats attached with the cotter pin for?

I hope you understand my questions, I've searched the net, and archives on this site, but never found any manuals or instructions. I know these sound like stupid obvious question, but not for me. I'm just learning this stuff so bear with me. And if you guys have a link to any websites that explain this powder measure, that would be great. Thanks, Grass :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ideal no.55 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
qajaq59
December 8, 2008, 06:37 AM
I've got an older Ideal No.55 and I have several questions about it.

1. The two adjustments, upper and lower, I assume the upper controls the grain setting? What is the lower one, its a little bigger and mine don't hardy move. Seized up?

There are actually 3 adjustments. The black barrel will slide in and out when you want a major change. Then the bottom screw will adjust less then that, but still quite a bit. And finally the top one for the finer adjustments. If you loosen the set screws you can remove all of them and clean them. Pay attention though as there is a little stud that has to be put back in the right position when reassembling. You can lube them with a little graphite. Also, look at the bottom of the black barrel and you will see lines that you can use for settings.

2. I guess the two set screws lock your settings in?

Right.

3. Do you just put the brass underneath and charge it that way, with a pull of the lever? Is there a special bottom piece for different calibers?

There should be a small sort of reversed funnel that screws in the bottom. You put your brass up under that and pull the lever. However I prefer to use a see thru funnel so I can actually see my powder dropping into the case.

4. What is the piece that's attached with the cotter pin for?

That little knocker is to flip up with your finger so that it whacks the measure and jiggles the powder. Give it a pretty good flip and try to do it the same every time.

Hopefully this helps somewhat. By the way I still use one of those that I bought a zillion years ago.

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 08:13 AM
How much should the bottom bigger adjustment move? My No.55 is pretty old and does have a little surface rust, could it be seized?

NCsmitty
December 8, 2008, 09:27 AM
Remove the barrel if you can, that will require removing the retaining screw on the end of the barrel, then lightly clean with fine steel wool or scotchbrite. Try to do it dry so it doesn't have oil residue. Blow off or wipe well so any dust is gone. Wipe the inside of the measure where the barrel fits with a clean cloth. The barrel adjustment screws and lock screws do need a little oil and won't affect anything if you use sparingly.
The barrel needs to slide free but not too free or sloppy.
I use the knocker each time I drop charges. The procedure goes like this. You move the lever up to the stop, hesitate in the up position for a second then smoothly but firmly sweep it down to the stop. Then flip the knocker. I do the knocker twice but you just need to be consistent in movement for each dropped charge. When you get the correct charge, lightly lock the set screws. My #55 will drop within .1 grain very consistently with nearly every powder. It seems less fussy with different powders than other measures that I have tried with less powder bridging. You fine tune the drop with the small slides. You'll have to lock the large barrel set screw to do this. You'll get the hang of it after a little practice.
Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

NCsmitty

rcmodel
December 8, 2008, 11:33 AM
All good information given above.
IMO: You got yourself one of the very best powder measures ever made.

Here is the Lyman #55 owners manual.
http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/StaticPages/pdf/instructions/55_Powder_Measure.pdf

rcmodel

Ol` Joe
December 8, 2008, 11:50 AM
I hope you understand my questions, I've searched the net, and archives on this site, but never found any manuals or instructions. I know these sound like stupid obvious question, but not for me. I'm just learning this stuff so bear with me. And if you guys have a link to any websites that explain this powder measure, that would be great. Thanks, Grass

From Lymans very own web site..:rolleyes:
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/scales-measures/pdf/LyC_SM_PM_55Cl.pdf

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 03:51 PM
The other question I have is about the two adjustment knobs. I'm trying to set it for 39 grains of H380, can you walk me through it on how to set it to the right setting. I'm not sure which of these to adjust to get that weight, top one, bottom or both? The instructions say there are three slide to work with, I only see two. What am I missing?

rcmodel
December 8, 2008, 04:13 PM
The whole big black steel center drum slides in and out, with the two brass slides going along for the ride.

The big brass slide is used for ....

Wait a minute!
Did you read the Owners Manual I posted the link too awhile ago?

rcmodel

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 04:22 PM
Yes, I did read it. I'm dealing with an older No.55,like 40 years old. It has a little surface rust. This center drum must be seized.

rcmodel
December 8, 2008, 04:40 PM
40 years age hasn't much to do with it. They haven't changed them much in the last 100 years.
See post #4 above.
NCsmitty explained how the center drum might be stuck, and that it needs to come out to clean and graphite lube all the other parts.

There is a screw holding a thin steel plate on the opposite end of the handle.

Take it off, and the drum will come out the handle side.
You may have to work it back and forth with the handle to get it out, but it will come out.

From there, you can see what you are dealing with in the way of rust/compacted powder granules, etc.

rcmodel

qajaq59
December 8, 2008, 07:24 PM
I think you are asking how to set it for a specific amount of powder just by using the barrel and bars alone without using it in conjuntion with your scale? You can't. Or at least I can't. You'll need to use your scale also.

If I am wrong about what you are asking, just disregard this.

After you get it cleaned up and working smoothly this is what you do.

Let's just say you are looking for 45.5 rains of powder?

Bring the barrel out a bit and then drop the powder in the scale pan and weigh it. Try to get as close to the 45.5 as you can without going over.

Then if you need a couple of grains more turn the bottom screw a bit and see what it now weighs.

Then to fine tune it down to the last few tenths of a grain use the top screw.

You'll get used to setting it rather quickly. And if you jot down where it was for a given amount, it'll be easier to set it up next time.

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 07:31 PM
That's my problem, I don't think I'm reading my Lyman scale right. They just aren't matching up. Frustrating.

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 07:36 PM
I think it's my scales for some reason, but they look fine. They look clean and no rust. Maybe I don't know how to read the damn thing. I don't know?

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 09:02 PM
Stupid question; On the adjustment on the side that go's to 50, I assume that's grains?

GP100man
December 8, 2008, 09:24 PM
hello grassman i`ve read this thread twice & i think you`re trying to use the scale on the drum to get a specific weight , it don`t work like that.i use those numbers for reference only , to duplicate a setting.
you need to weigh the powder to verify weight!!
do you have a bullet of known weight ????
if so set the scale to what the bullet weighs (supposidly) & see what happens.
should be close to what`s on the box.

hope this helps you some!!!

GP100man

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, that's why I think the scale if off. I have a 55 grain bullet I weighed and it was way off. I've cleaned the scales, they are zeroed out, so I'm at a loss with these scales.

GP100man
December 8, 2008, 09:47 PM
which lyman scales ya got???

GP100man

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 10:04 PM
The D5

GP100man
December 8, 2008, 10:17 PM
the D5 is a good scale if it`s the one i`m thinking of .

cast steel or aluminum base ???
if it is i think the graduations on the left are 10grs. each& on the rt. is 10 grs. in tenths ?????
how close was you`re 55gr bullet???

CRS kiks in at times . LOL

GP100man

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 11:27 PM
It's an aluminum base one. Left are 5 grain increments, and the right are in 10ths. But I have come to the conclusion that the scale is fine, I think I need a new powder measure. The barrel will not come out, (seized) and the other two are a little sloppy, kinda rough. I think I'm going to get a new powder measure.

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 11:28 PM
It's an aluminum base one. Left are 5 grain increments, and the right are in 10ths. But I have come to the conclusion that the scale is fine, I think I need a new powder measure. The barrel will not come out, (seized) and the other two are a little sloppy, kinda rough. I think I'm going to get a new powder measure.

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 11:29 PM

Grassman
December 8, 2008, 11:37 PM

Grassman
December 9, 2008, 12:39 AM
LOL, hope ya got that GP100, computer malfunction got a storm outside with sat. internet.

qajaq59
December 9, 2008, 05:10 AM
That's my problem, I don't think I'm reading my Lyman scale right. They just aren't matching up. Frustrating.
OK, now we know where you are at least. I can tell you that even if the powder measure was brand new you'd never get it to give you the right amount by using the lines. The lines are just for reference, as someone already said.

Before you order a new one though I'd get some Marvel Mystery oil and just soak in that for a few days. If you can get the barrel to move at all you will likely be able to get it out and fix it.

Grassman
December 9, 2008, 08:18 AM
Well, I guess a light bulb went off in my head and it just all came together. I stayed up till midnight and I got 80 rounds of 22-250 cranked out.

NCsmitty
December 9, 2008, 02:03 PM
Well good, I take it that you got the #55 measure to function?

NCsmitty

qajaq59
December 10, 2008, 06:57 AM
Sometimes you come up with the answer to your own question when you start trying to explain the problem to someone else. I'm glad you're all set. Go shooting and have some fun.

GP100man
December 10, 2008, 09:54 PM
just got here & got caught up .
glad it all came together Grassman!!

i live out in the land of dial up & was thinking of sat. ?????
it would make dealing with pics alot easier!!!

GP100man

Grassman
December 10, 2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah, me too GP. Sat.internet is all I can get here. A little pricey compared to others but worth it. About $50 a month.

loneviking
January 8, 2009, 10:02 AM
Well, I'm still struggling with my 55 and I've been over the manual till I'm sick of it.

The parts on mine aren't froze up as I've cleaned everything up. There is a large, black cylinder that just pulls in and out--right?

And then there is a brass slide with no numbers on it that has a screw with a knurled knob on it that slides in and out with that knob, right?

And a third, brass slide with another knurled knob that slides in and out. This slide has numbers on both sides of the slide.

The handle is on a collar that moves up and down. There are two more screws on this collar. The smaller of the two seems to lock the black cylinder, right? So, first pull the black cyliner out just a bit and then lock it with the smaller screw on the handle collar?

Then, with the top screw loose, the middle slide slides out by turning its' screw counterclockwise, or back in by going clockwise.

The top slide seems to be the problem. There is a dimple or small hole in the second slide, and this top slide has a nubbin that fits into that hold and the set screw will work the slide back and forth. Question--where does the set screw need to be when you put these two slides together?

Then you throw and weigh charges until you get to what you want. Then,lock both set screws and both knobs on the collar? I'm asking as I can't get this measure to throw consistent charges. Sometimes they are way light, sometimes very heavy and I'm dumping the charges in the same way. The only thing I can figure is that maybe the slides are moving somehow?

Comments? Corrections?

rcmodel
January 8, 2009, 11:20 AM
Well, I think you have it figured out, except how the two brass slides fit together?

As I recall, I screw the small slide adjustment screw out a ways, and assemble them so the adjustment screw pulls the slide in & out properly.
Then put the two slides together back in the black drum.
Then screw both adjustment screws in until first the bottom slide, then the top slide stop.

At that point, all three adjutments are completely closed.

You have to loosen both set screws to move the whole drum assembly.

But only the top set-screw next to the handle to move either of the brass sliders.

Now, on to your powder charge problem.
What kind of powder & charge weight are you having problems with?

For instance, you would want to leave the black drum completely closed up and only use the brass slides for small charges of pistol powder. Set the charge with both slides together, and fine tune with the smaller one.

The only time the black drum adjustment would be used would be to get close with large charges of rifle powder. Then fine tune with the two brass slides together.

Those two methods will give you the least surface area for powder shearing/packing to take place when the drum rotates.

rcmodel

rfwobbly
January 8, 2009, 12:13 PM
Grassman -
I'll give you $5 for it seized up and all, just like it sits.

loneviking
January 8, 2009, 01:09 PM
RFWobbly,
I'm trying to meter out 3.3 gr. of Bullseye, so I guess I won't be using the big drum for that. The problem must be in that top slide and the way I have it lined up with the second slide. I can get the measure to throw 3.3 gr., but then five or six shells later it's either way light or way heavy.

Thanks for the help, and I'm going to go tinker with it some more and see if any other problems come up.

rcmodel
January 8, 2009, 01:12 PM
Well, I don't think it can change with the two set-screws tight, no matter how you have it lined up.

The two adjustment screws on the ends of the slides have no bearing on it holding adjustment.

rcmodel

loneviking
January 8, 2009, 02:10 PM
Well, I don't think it can change with the two set-screws tight, no matter how you have it lined up.

The two adjustment screws on the ends of the slides have no bearing on it holding adjustment.

rcmodel

Thank you! I was coming to that conclusion from further tinkering this morning. Why don't they include stuff like this in the manual? I coudn't even figure out from the manual which set screw locked down what as the drawings were so vague. I'm glad you guys here at THR have the answers!

rcmodel
January 8, 2009, 02:17 PM
but then five or six shells later it's either way light or way heavy.You probably know this, but:

When you fill a powder measure, you need to discard 5-10 charges until the powder settles down in the reservoir.

With the Lyman, always use the little flip-hammer each time, and always use it the same way.

Set up a rhythm when you pull the handle, flip the hammer, push the handle back up, flip the hammer again.
Do it the same way every time.

When you add more powder to the hopper, throw away several charges again until the powder settles.

rc

woodsoup
January 8, 2009, 03:13 PM
rcmodel, You do mean RECYCLE back into the hopper, rather than DISCARD or THROW AWAY. right???? ;)

cochise9424221
January 8, 2009, 03:30 PM
If you have a 55 with just set scews and no micrometer screws it is a really early one.
I think the confusion is the manuals you are looking at and almost every 55 out there is a micrometer version.
I have three of the 55's two with the micrometer and one oldie with out.
On the non micrometer version, you need to pull out the drums and use a scale then lock it down when you get what you want.
They are great measures.

rcmodel
January 8, 2009, 04:53 PM
rcmodel, You do mean RECYCLE back into the hopper, rather than DISCARD or THROW AWAY. right????My rather limited vocabulary is going to be the death of me! :banghead:

Yes, "Recycle to the hopper or can" would be what I should have said.

rcmodel

rfwobbly
January 9, 2009, 01:30 PM
Set up a rhythm when you pull the handle, flip the hammer, push the handle back up, flip the hammer again. Do it the same way every time.

Oh sure RC, give away all the trade secrets of reloading here on the internet where God and everybody can see it. :D

I almost had a nice #55 for $5. :evil:

loneviking
January 11, 2009, 01:28 AM
Five to ten charges? O.K., I'll try it and see what happens. So far, the charges start getting light after three or four shells. I finally gave up and for this batch of reloads went to throwing the powder by hand as it's faster than tinkering with this thing. But, I'll try again and see what happens.

And yes, this is an oldy---somewhere around thirty years old.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ideal no.55 questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!