22-250 brass problems

PDA

fireman 9731
December 8, 2008, 12:02 AM
I am fairly new to reloading and have been having some problems when resizing my 22-250 brass.
After I have shot it once, I try to resize it and it takes A LOT of effort to get it all the way into the die. I mean like putting all of my weight on the press arm and then pressing against my press with my other arm to get the brass fully resized. I have no problems with new brass and I am using plenty (I think) of case lube. I have an RCBS press and dies. my reloads are just mid-range loads right out the Speer manual with winchester brass. I can tell that after it is resized it looks like most of the bind is on the outside towards the bottom of the case neck.
My gun is a Remington 700 VTR, I dont have any problems extracting my shot brass or anything.
Is there a possibility that my chamber tolerances arent very tight and the brass is just expanding to the chamber? or is resizing 22-250 brass usually that tough? or am I just screwing something up?
any info is appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "22-250 brass problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
winchester243
December 8, 2008, 02:12 AM
Something ain't right. No way sizing 22-250 should be this difficult. I'd call RCBS.

Funderb
December 8, 2008, 02:25 AM
how do the reloads chamber / shoot? this would be a good indicator of the die isn't set or sized correctly

fireman 9731
December 8, 2008, 03:10 AM
The reloads chamber and shoot just fine.... and sizing new brass doesn't cause any problems at all.

qajaq59
December 8, 2008, 06:15 AM
Something is wrong obviously. Maybe try a different lube.

Funderb
December 8, 2008, 08:22 AM
humph.

ranger335v
December 8, 2008, 09:30 AM
"I have no problems with new brass and I am using plenty (I think) of case lube."

You ain't. Use more, or a better, lube. Especially down near the base.

bearwolf
December 8, 2008, 03:01 PM
Id try some imperial sizing die wax or a good spraying with Hornady One shot. If the imperial doesnt fix it then you definitely have a big problem in which I would be contacting RCBS to ship that die back for replacement.

lev83
December 8, 2008, 06:55 PM
I've had this happen once before. I had purchased a set of used RCBS dies and later discovered that the decapping pin had been bent. This situation caused me to exert a great deal of pressure in order to deprime brass. You can check yours by disassembling the die and rolling the pin across a smooth flat surface. if this is the problem contact RCBS for replacement parts. Best of luck

~z
December 8, 2008, 11:39 PM
another idea: clean your die. The vent hole may be clogged and you may be compressing air while resizing. Just a thought. If it aint that or the lube, you got your self a real head scratcher.
~z

~z
December 8, 2008, 11:40 PM
another idea: clean your die. The vent hole may be clogged and you may be compressing air while resizing. Just a thought. If it aint that or the lube, you got your self a real head scratcher.
~z

~z
December 8, 2008, 11:42 PM
~z

~z
December 8, 2008, 11:43 PM
~z

~z
December 10, 2008, 10:15 AM
Wow, sorry about that, my first tripple double post
~z

fireman 9731
December 20, 2008, 11:26 PM
ok, so I finally got home (im a college kid) and back to my wonderful reloading setup to take apart my die and see what was going on, everything was clean, the vent hole wasn't clogged, the de-capping pin wasnt bent, however it did seem slightly off center(is this normal?)

I wanted to try some imperial sizing die wax but I couldn't find any, the only things I could find were RCBS #2(which is what I have been using) Hornady 1 shot, and Hornady unique sizing lube. I opted for the Unique...

I have to say that I have been quite impressed! it solved my difficult sizing problems, is a whole lot easier to apply than the aggravating RCBS crap, and it smells great!

does anybody else use Unique sizing lube? or had problems with the RCBS#2?

winchester243
December 20, 2008, 11:32 PM
Yep I use the Unique case lube, won't go back to pads or sprays either. I haven't used the imperial wax but I suspect it is very similar to the Unique case lube.

Crosswire3
December 21, 2008, 03:21 AM
I'm quite a fan of plain old engine oil on any type of rag or pad. You can even roll a whole bunch of casings around at once and it's basically free.

If you enjoyed reading about "22-250 brass problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!