Guess the gun!

PDA

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR
December 8, 2008, 02:13 AM
I've been wandering the 'net, and I've found an interesting picture of a Beretta about which I can find no information.

http://www.berettaweb.com/92%20Successo/92-combat.gif

I think it looks kinda sexy, and I'm mostly into wheelguns!

If you enjoyed reading about "Guess the gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VINTAGE-SLOTCARS
December 8, 2008, 02:23 AM
When I saved the picture to enlarge it, The gif came up as a Beretta 92 combat??

indoorsoccerfrea
December 8, 2008, 02:24 AM
Beretta 92 Combat

These two new Beretta Combat pistols are currently being developed and tested and are distinguished by a particularly aggressive and personal style. These pistols are specifically modified to improve performance in competition combat style shooting. The operation is single action only, and the ambidextrous manual safety blocks the sear and the slide in the dosed position. Magazine capacity is 17 rounds. As with all developmental models, specifications are subject to change.

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR
December 8, 2008, 02:31 AM
So it's a prototype for production? Cause I would buy one of these in a heartbeat...

I wonder why there are no more pictures of this thing? When I search for Beretta 92 Combat on Google the pictures that come back are of a gun with a double action trigger and a completely different slide/compensator.

varoadking
December 8, 2008, 03:16 AM
I would buy one of these in a heartbeat...

One more than I would have thought they could sell...

UKCPO
December 8, 2008, 05:06 AM
EDiT

atblis
December 8, 2008, 05:14 PM
It looks like it says Beretta on the side of it.

JaxNovice
December 8, 2008, 05:20 PM
"Let's see if we can come up with a way to make the M9 (92fs) heavier and larger."

MX26
December 23, 2008, 06:00 PM
"The next time you're in trouble, don't just dial 911....

Dial 911 plus 1000!"

How did you ever think of this incredibly witty sig line?

Jim Watson
December 23, 2008, 06:05 PM
I wonder if it is competitive in IPSC (NOT our USPSA). Compensator = Open but iron sights and minor caliber would make it a non-starter here. Kind of like the Sig Sauer X-Fives and the earlier Sport models.

burningsquirrels
December 24, 2008, 07:34 AM
yeah. imagine a beretta with a red dot in open division. that would be different...

grumpycoconut
December 25, 2008, 01:17 AM
This gun again? Wasn't it already done in the 80s?
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii8/grumpycoconut/robocopgun.jpg
Only problem is finding a surgeon who is also a mechanical engineer to install the power operated holsters into your thighs.

Mr Kablammo
December 25, 2008, 01:25 AM
Grumpy, is that Photoshopped or a real piece? Tell us a bit more about it.

Kind of Blued
December 25, 2008, 04:50 AM
No thanks, and hell no. :)

The beavertail on the first gun looks... clownish.

notorious
December 25, 2008, 05:09 AM
Reminds me of an old "competition" model Beretta made back in the 90s when they had a few different catalogued in the 92 collection.

There were the 92FS, 92FC, 92 Brigadier, 92 Compact, and a few other variants which are not made anymore.

GrendelPrime
December 25, 2008, 09:19 AM
I believe Grumpy's pic is the pistol used by Robocop, an OCP Auto-9 (http://www.robocoparchive.com/info/auto9.htm).

The Beretta the OP posted is an ugly beast, but without shooting it, I'll reserve judgement.
Hell, if I went by looks alone, I'd have never picked up a Glock.

notorious
December 26, 2008, 01:11 AM
I'd take a good 9mm any day and not feel undergunned.

Serial Crusher
December 26, 2008, 01:17 AM
Same here. Placement is the name of the game.

Revolver Ocelot
December 26, 2008, 04:08 AM
Grumpy, is that Photoshopped or a real piece? Tell us a bit more about it.

that was a baretta 92fs that had been modified for the robocop movie.

I have a feeling the pistol up top was also made for a movie (this is just a guess) but I could be wrong.

notorious
December 26, 2008, 04:35 AM
No, I am pretty sure that was a limited run competition model. I've seen something similar in old Beretta catalogues in the early 90s when I was looking for a wunder-nine.

mgregg85
December 26, 2008, 11:34 PM
Wow they took a beautiful gun and made it fugly.

They already made and discontinued a combat model of the 92, it was called the beretta 93r and it was the prettiest machine pistol ever made.
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9062/beretta93r19gq.jpg

That mag button on the OP's picture looks awful, pretty easy to accidentally bump with any conventional grip known to man. And the beavertail is hideous.

icebones
December 27, 2008, 04:11 PM
well if your really a drill instructor:
Sir, trainee duff reports as ordered... hehe

Friendly, Don't Fire!
December 27, 2008, 04:13 PM
What's that front piece, a retractible monopod?

icebones
December 27, 2008, 04:15 PM
no, its a foregrip, its meant for your to hang on to with your left hand and to loop the thumb through the triggergaurd. supposed to make it more controlable in 3 round burst.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
December 27, 2008, 04:34 PM
Now, if I could only afford to OWN one, then I might LEARN to LIKE IT!:rolleyes:

notorious
December 27, 2008, 04:54 PM
What's that front piece, a retractible monopod?

It's a foregrip like the ones on all the tacticool AR15s.

Go youtube Beretta 93R and you will find people using it the way it was meant to be used.

John Travolta also used it well in a bad movie, "Broken Arrow" where a Park Ranger outshot and won against a team of trained military types.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guess the gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!