More .45 silencer videos

PDA

PTK
December 8, 2008, 11:51 AM
Some of you read my previous thread about my new Advanced Armament Corporation Evolution 45 silencer on my USP Tactical (seen here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=411115)).

This is a follow-up to that, showing both a video of the gun fired with and then without the silencer (video 1) and another video of the silenced .45 compared to a silenced .22lr (video 2).

Video 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L28dCxRsoYg)

Video 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETVSlUVqjfM)

If you enjoyed reading about "More .45 silencer videos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PTK
December 8, 2008, 06:24 PM
I find it hard to believe that no one here is interested in seeing these. :)

MDMadrid
December 8, 2008, 06:31 PM
I would like to see them...but I can't access youtube at work!

sniper7369
December 8, 2008, 07:25 PM
Bro, I am SO jealous. That's some cool sh*t. :D Wish we could have suppressors here in the People's Republik of NY :cuss:

blo0dyhatchet
December 8, 2008, 07:32 PM
I am rather amazed at how much of a difference it makes on that .45 I want one for mine now. Lol.

Pilot
December 8, 2008, 07:35 PM
I've got to get a suppressor for my Tac.

PTK
December 9, 2008, 07:01 AM
Keep in mind that I went into this purchase with the "common knowledge" that .45 silencers just don't work all that well.

Seems that SOME of them sure as heck do! This Evo45 has gone above and beyond all my expectations, that's for sure.

shotgun12321
December 9, 2008, 09:40 AM
Dang man, that is a sexy gun. Where are you guys shootin at in CO? It looks like it's near Black Hawk but im not sure

PTK
December 9, 2008, 10:59 AM
The two new videos, Left Hand Canyon outside of Boulder. Two older videos, Buffalo Creek.

Marcus L.
December 9, 2008, 11:09 AM
I like having supressors on rifles and carbines. In fact, I carried a supressed MP-5 for a couple of years while on SET team. I think they are just too bulky for a handgun which kinda defeats its purpose which is a compact weapon for the unexpected encounters. It is really an offensive tool and if I am taking an offensive role I won't be reaching for a pistol, I'll be reaching for a long gun of some sort which is far more capable than any handgun supressed or not.

PTK
December 9, 2008, 11:11 AM
Actually, this pistol is for target shooting, but I agree re: long arm for home defense - my AR-15 is silenced. :)

Floppy_D
December 9, 2008, 11:15 AM
*whiff* *whiff* *whiff* Awesome. :D

Olympus
December 9, 2008, 12:21 PM
I watched the videos. Pretty cool, I'll admit. But what practical purpose does putting one on a .45 serve? It's long enough that you look like you need some shooting sticks to rest it on! From what I've seen of supressor prices, I think I'd just as soon buy another gun for that kind of money. I don't have money just burning a hole in my pocket I guess.

PTK
December 9, 2008, 01:09 PM
NOISE. I don't much like it.

As for the length/weight, it's not bothersome at all and it now feels like a .38 special out of a nice heavy revolver.

Olympus
December 9, 2008, 01:11 PM
No I understand that it cuts down on noise. But so does a pair of $2 earplugs. What are the practical applications of a civilian owning a gun with a silencer? I guess I'm just too tight with my money.

Pilot
December 9, 2008, 01:15 PM
What are the practical applications of a civilian owning a gun with a silencer?

Nothing practical to it. Does it need to be? Are many of our firearms practical like AR's, KA's, etc? Looks like fun to me.

sniper7369
December 9, 2008, 01:18 PM
But what practical purpose does putting one on a .45 serve? It's long enough that you look like you need some shooting sticks to rest it on! From what I've seen of supressor prices, I think I'd just as soon buy another gun for that kind of money. I don't have money just burning a hole in my pocket I guess.

It'd be nice to be able to shoot my 1911 or G30 in my back yard without disturbing the people across the road. :) I mean, yeah, legally I CAN shoot in my back yard. I'm far enough out from the city and there are no occupied structures within 500 feet. BUT, I really doubt my neighbors want to hear me putting 500 rounds through my .45 on a Saturday afternoon, ya know? :scrutiny:

PTK
December 9, 2008, 01:37 PM
Olympus

Why don't you ask the literal MILLIONS of owners of silenced firearms? Most countries have them as over-the-counter items to prevent hearing loss, noise pollution, etc.

A .45 isn't too dang loud, but (for example) my PLR-16 with 9" barrel in .223 is REALLY loud without a silencer. With, it's about like a .22lr. Even with earplugs and earmuffs, the PLR-16 is noisy enough to cause hearing loss.

Olympus
December 9, 2008, 02:11 PM
There's no need to get defensive about it...geez. I just asked what it's practical application was. I think it might be more along the lines of someone having one because they can. I think decibel for decibel there are other things that are just as hazardous to the ears. That's why ear protection is rated up to specific decibel levels. I'm just trying to rationalize the purchase of a silencer. Are you saying that it's more rational for people to buy silencers for their firearms than to buy ear muffs/plugs? I don't know anything about those particular silencers, but do they have a "lifetime" as others do where they lose effectiveness after so many rounds? I bet something like that could cost $700 or $800. And unless you have an HK or something with a factory threaded barrel, you'll have to pay another couple hundred for a threaded barrel. I'm just assuming it's a threaded silencer though...

PTK
December 9, 2008, 02:24 PM
Are you saying that it's more rational for people to buy silencers for their firearms than to buy ear muffs/plugs?

Yes. Silencers work for the source of the noise, ear protection such as muffs or plugs only work to reduce the noise coming into the ear for one person.

WoofersInc
December 9, 2008, 02:34 PM
What are the practical applications of a civilian owning a gun with a silencer? I guess I'm just too tight with my money.

Just like the practical applications of someone owning a Ferrari, or some other exotic car. Because I can. Plus shooting a suppressed gun is just so much fun.

shotgun12321
December 9, 2008, 09:23 PM
No I understand that it cuts down on noise. But so does a pair of $2 earplugs. What are the practical applications of a civilian owning a gun with a silencer? I guess I'm just too tight with my money.

Well those $2 earplugs will only muffle the sound to you, not to people around you.

gbelleh
December 9, 2008, 11:20 PM
Do you have video of it shooting dry?

Walkalong
December 9, 2008, 11:49 PM
I would like to see them...but I can't access youtube at work!Me either, which, unfortunately, is where I am right now, babysitting an AC unit, but not for long. ;)

I'll check em out when I get home.

HK G3
December 10, 2008, 12:11 AM
Were you shooting those wet or dry?

I'm looking at suppressing my .45... I dunno what brand of suppressor to go with though. Whatever works best would be my mantra :D

Dravur
December 10, 2008, 01:54 AM
PTK

Next time you go, give me a call. Ive got some new toys to shoot.

We can go to LHC or somewhere near Boulder or back to Pawnee

PTK
December 10, 2008, 06:43 AM
Do you have video of it shooting dry?

Nope.

Were you shooting those wet or dry?

I'm looking at suppressing my .45... I dunno what brand of suppressor to go with though. Whatever works best would be my mantra

The .45 was wet, the .22 was dry. AAC ($750), SWR ($745) and KAC ($1,300) are the top three choices, with the others being only so-so in my opinion.

Dravur

I go to the range almost once a week, nowadays. I may well shoot you a PM in the next week or so, you'd LOVE this silencer! :)

CPshooter
December 10, 2008, 10:48 AM
First, cool videos!

The .22 is so much quieter than the .45! I am interested in buying a silencer for one of my handguns, but don't know which gun and caliber to go with. Are 9s quieter than the .45, assuming using sub-sonic ammo in both?

In fact, I carried a supressed MP-5 for a couple of years while on SET team. I think they are just too bulky for a handgun which kinda defeats its purpose which is a compact weapon for the unexpected encounters. It is really an offensive tool and if I am taking an offensive role I won't be reaching for a pistol, I'll be reaching for a long gun of some sort which is far more capable than any handgun supressed or not.+1

However, I can see it being useful on a home-defense handgun so that it won't cause hearing damage if it needed to be shot. But for some reason having a silencer on a defense pistol sounds highly illegal to me...not really sure if it is. It sure wouldn't help you in court!

Coronach
December 10, 2008, 11:09 AM
I dunno. If it is a clearcut case of self defense, it would probably make no difference whatsoever. Many of these cases result in no charges filed, anyway. You can always end up with a case in civil court for wrongful death, but that's going to happen anyway. One would hope that simply explaining that you keep the gun for home defense, so you keep a suppressor on it would suffice.

Nothing is 100%, though, so you have to balance the chance of hearing damage with the chance of having it be an issue in court.

Me? I'd go with the suppressor, especially if it is on a rifle.

Mike

ericyp
December 10, 2008, 09:21 PM

The earplugs cut down on all noise. You might still want to be able to talk normally. Also, you can have a silencer on the gun all the time, and be able to fire it in a home defense situation without blowing out your eardrums. You can't wear earplugs all the time. A silence is the most practical item you can get for a gun.

PTK
December 10, 2008, 10:01 PM
A silence is the most practical item you can get for a gun.

Other than ammo, damn straight.

shotgun12321
December 11, 2008, 10:39 AM
Other than ammo, damn straight.

Psh....who needs that stuff anyways

clarence2005w
December 11, 2008, 11:30 AM
PTK I have that same suppressor for my .45. Have you ever tried anything but water in your can. Also what do you clean it with.

PTK
December 11, 2008, 11:39 AM
I just use water, why bother with anything else? It works, is quiet, is a breeze to clean up....

I clean that silencer after every range session, I just let it dry out by shaking most of the water out first. After that, I just take the spring and piston out, wash them off with a bit of Hoppes, run a patch into the end of the silencer where the piston goes, and remove most of the carbon that way. Easy as pie!

Dwight45
December 11, 2008, 12:36 PM
They must be great for secret agent fantasies.

PTK
December 11, 2008, 12:46 PM
Nope. Just easier on my ears. :)

MT GUNNY
December 11, 2008, 01:27 PM
I went to the Web site where the OP got his Sup from. It says non moving Barrels, Yet it Lists a Glock in the same Sentence. The Glock barrel moves Like a M&P and others. Can some one check that out and Report Back with a Explanation

PTK
December 11, 2008, 02:01 PM
There's a spacer you can substitute in place of the spring so that you can fire it on non-moving barrels (SMGs, etc) as well as more common moving barrel types (with the spring in place).

:)

Coronach
December 11, 2008, 10:13 PM
How long does it stay "wet"? Are we talking just minutes, or is it a substantial period of time?

Mike

PTK
December 12, 2008, 08:38 AM
Well, here in Colorado if I leave it alone out in the open it'll stay wet for an hour or three. Shooting, it lasts for about 50 rounds, but for maximum suppression I re-wet it every mag. :)

Eightball
December 12, 2008, 03:40 PM
Mmmmmm, fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "More .45 silencer videos" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!