Single Stack 9mm Carry Guns

PDA

trackaddict88
December 8, 2008, 12:43 PM
I'm sure this has been covered but what are some options?

Criteria are: Single Stack, Grip at least as long as a Glock 26 (XL hands and gotta have 2 fingers on the grip), 9mm for ammo matching other guns-I won't outright say no to .380 but it has to fit me.

Kahr pm9 is waaaay too small, maybe I could get used to a p9 but a longer grip front to back would be better I think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Single Stack 9mm Carry Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MikePGS
December 8, 2008, 12:46 PM
The H&K P7 seems to have a pretty good reputation, but I haven't yet had the pleasure of firing one.

mothergoose
December 8, 2008, 01:19 PM
Sig P239 is a single stack 9mm. So is the Sig 225 (P6). The P6 is bigger, but I know several people who carry it.

MT GUNNY
December 8, 2008, 01:27 PM
EMP, Springfeild Armory.

Jason M
December 8, 2008, 01:30 PM
Kahr CW9 ~$400.

9mm
7+1
DAO

http://photos9.flickr.com/17164755_4412bc95f1_m.jpg

This is my carry piece and I like it a lot. The IWB holsters available online from the Kahr pro shop is really nice, too.

mavracer
December 8, 2008, 01:38 PM
my HK P7 is IMHO the best single stack carry 9mm. most accurate for its size and manuel of arms is simple and fast.

trackaddict88
December 8, 2008, 01:45 PM
1.14" overall width. Glocks are 1.18" wide. Anything thinner? Keltec pf-9 anyone like 'em?

Pilot
December 8, 2008, 01:49 PM
my HK P7 is IMHO the best single stack carry 9mm. most accurate for its size and manuel of arms is simple and fast.

X2. Its just that good.

The Lone Haranguer
December 8, 2008, 02:08 PM
Kahr K9, S&W 3913, SIG P239, all good.

trackaddict88
December 8, 2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys!

ConstantineJ9
December 8, 2008, 02:26 PM
The EMP

dontshakepandas
December 8, 2008, 02:26 PM
Walther PPS

glock_17_4U
December 8, 2008, 02:34 PM
I think you should look at each gun, get the measurments, and if at all possible handle them,then compare them to the glock 19 with it's 15+1 capacity and say is there that much of a difference, is it worth sacrificing all these wonderful benefits for just a little bit smaller gun.

lanternlad1
December 8, 2008, 02:51 PM
I agree. I've carried many single stack 9mms, and more often than not, I end up carrying my G19 as its not really that much bigger than most single stackers, I know it will work, and I have 16 shots (15+1) avail if necessary.

I am by no means a Glock fan, but they work as advertised.

I had a PF-9. Great for carry. Worked fine. Hard on the hands to shoot.

Here's a review.
http://www.mouseguns.com/pf9rev/pf9rev.htm

sniper7369
December 8, 2008, 03:01 PM
KT PF-9 is a damn good gun, kind of small if you have big hands, but it's not a range gun, it's something you'll probably carry more than you'll shoot.
If you can find a used S&W 3904 or 3906 those are also very good single stack 9s. My 3904 is very accurate and eats anything I feed it.

trackaddict88
December 8, 2008, 03:34 PM
I have a G26 and G17. I just thought I'd look at single stacks for summer carry. I usually carry the 26 but today I'm trying out the 17. And yes I do want a G19, I just don't know why.:D I oughta get a 17L or a 34 and have my 17 grip cut down to a 19 but that's a whole 'nother post.:D

J Lambs
December 8, 2008, 04:00 PM
I have both the EMP and a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry in 9mm. Both are great shooters and easy to carry.

seeker_two
December 8, 2008, 04:03 PM
If you can find one, I highly recommend one of the Firestar M43 9mm's....great shooter. It sits a little heavy in the holster, but the weight makes a pussycat out of recoil.... :D

capttom
December 8, 2008, 04:15 PM
You didn't say anything about double/single action preferences. A Smith & Wesson 908 fills the bill for me, single stack, slim, a great carry piece. The 908S is stainless. I bought my 908 almost new in the box for $375 OTD. The Smith 3913 is the 908 with ambi safeties and other detail changes. There's also the slightly smaller Chiefs Special that can be found for more money.

In the service/surplus category are SIG P-6s: good solid guns. They're getting hard to find at reasonable prices and mags are expensive. Walther P-1s might fill the bill, but they're awfully fat across the slide. It's a fun gun to shoot although some don't like the skinny barrel sticking out in the breeze. I love mine and magazines are plentiful. If you can find one, a Beretta 951 Brigadier is a sterling example of the breed. I like the crossbolt safety. The Helwan is a clone of the Beretta that has problems; they may shear locking lugs. I'd steer clear of the Egyptian copy unless the owner let me wring it out.

There are various discontinued models that may make good choices. Stars can be bargains. Don't let tales of older guns worry you. Modern Stars are well built and have plenty of life left in them. The BK, BKS, and BM are suitable for concealed carry. The BKS is very flat.
Another Spanish make is Astra. The A-75 looks like a small 1911, but comes in 9mm or .40 and is double action with cocked and locked option. These are all steel and shoot well. I've shot a loaner gun in electroless nickel that is handsome and it handles well. If I didn't have the 908 and if the Astra were a bit lighter, I'd own it. Right now, the stable is full of 9mms. Llamas can be soft and don't turn up often in my neck of the woods. Personally, I'd stay away from Llamas.

jocko
December 8, 2008, 04:41 PM
kahr K9 or kahr PM9

legion3
December 8, 2008, 04:45 PM
Walther P5 Compact. Great trigger pull, thin grip and stylish too.

CoRoMo
December 8, 2008, 04:50 PM
Another vote for the PF-9

jaydubya
December 8, 2008, 09:22 PM
I'm curious: why is your primary criteria that it have a single stack magazine? You made no mention of a reason for this.

Cordially, Jack

moph759fl
December 8, 2008, 09:38 PM
ASTRA A75L, single stack 8+1, SA/DA 9MM, Overall length 6.5", width 1.25" and height 4.75" all at 25oz.

Marcus L.
December 8, 2008, 09:41 PM
Sounds like the Sig P239 9mm fits your request:

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/sgalbra76/Guns001.jpg

It has the controls of a full sized pistol and handles like a full sized pistol. The Sig DA/SA trigger is probably the most refined on the market. It is fluid, consistant, and breaks clean. It uses single stacked 8rd magazines and will shoot any ammunition(standard, +P, or +P+) on the market with very good accuracy(1 in 10 twist rate). Like all Sigs though, it is a tad top heavy which some do not like.....but it really eats up recoil. I recommend you get the Hogue wrap around rubber grips for it like I have on mine. It really makes the pistol balance better and gives you much more secure handholds. I bought mine used for $450, but new they usually run between $700-$800. As far as the H&K P7 goes, they are not in production anymore and you will pay around $1500 for one. If you go that route, be sure you test one before you buy it. You have to squeeze the grip to cock it, and if you release your squeeze it decocks. Personally, I find it to be annoying and problematic when you take into account the stresses of a gun fight. Probably why the Germans don't use it anymore, or anything that resembles it.

If you want something even smaller, the Sig P232 .380acp makes a good alternative.

The Lone Haranguer
December 8, 2008, 10:42 PM
For "XL" hands, the S&W Model 39 (not the 3913) series or Kahr T/TP9 would give you a still longer grip, at the expense of some concealability, of course.

Borch
December 8, 2008, 11:59 PM
S&W 3913, my wife and I each have one and they are the best two 9mms we own.

PX15
December 9, 2008, 09:32 AM
FWIW:

I've found the 3rd gen Smiths to be excellent cc pistols. The HK P7 is excellent too.. My favorites (right now :)) are the CS9, 3913LS, and the HK P7.

I've never found a gun more accurate (for me) than the fine HK P7, but all of my pistols are more accurate than I am capable of taking advantage of. The HK P7 will make small groups in the X ring at self defense distance, while the 3gS's will make larger groups, still in the X ring at the same distance.

If I want to make small groups plinking at the range with my Buddy I prefer the HK P7.. But when I'm carrying a larger pistol in addition to my Seecamp it seems I always pick up the CS9..

The CS9 is a funny gun.. Either it fits you, or you hate it. It fits me.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_9996.jpg

zx12rider
December 9, 2008, 01:09 PM
Ok my currently owned Sig 225, S&W 3913LS and CS9 are great CC guns. I give the highest rating to the CS9. The sig 239, Walther PPS and HK P7 are on my list to buy soon. I've owned some Kahrs and am also thinking of adding it to the list of future purchases.

mr2guru
December 9, 2008, 02:39 PM
Walther PPS. Neat gun.

don95sml
December 9, 2008, 04:41 PM
+1 on the SIG P239. You might also consider the FNP9 if you don't object to a polymer frame.

Boba Fett
December 9, 2008, 05:31 PM
+1 for just about anything H&K or SIG.

-1 for any S&W carry
If you want S&W carry, get a revolver.

Agree with most of what everyone has already said. Best thing you can do is make a list of the ones that people have recommended, go to a good dealer or show, and hold them. If you can, go to a range and rent some after you narrow down your selection.

No one has mentioned it yet, which is a good thing, but avoid the SWP990L (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14736&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15713&isFirearm=Y):barf:. Absolutely terrible and annoying gun. It is very very easy to "limp wrist" it and cause a jam - speaking from personal experience before I sold it.

Just a question, would you consider something in 45? You can find some nice single stack 45. I know you said you want to go with 9mm for "ammo matching." If it is cost you are worried about, do some research on the pricing. It generally comes out to about 10-15 cents per round more expensive (for good, non-wolf type ammo). Part of the reason I said this is your XL hand requirement...lot of carry 45s out there that would probably fit you well.

Just FYI to everyone else: I'm not trying to turn this into a "such and such a caliber is better than another." So please respect the original poster's question.

trackaddict88
December 10, 2008, 01:31 AM
Sorry I've been away, family commitments. I want a single stack for carry only, and only when I can't carry the G17 or G26. I've got shooters, I just need something to make sure I follow the first rule of a gunfight-have a gun.:D

Lots of good ideas here. Don't know for sure about all of them yet. Would like pocket carry to be an option.

ZombiesAhead
December 10, 2008, 04:23 AM
I love single stack 9mm - they fit so much better than my clunky Glock 19 or CZ-75.

I REALLY WANT a Sig P6 (the german police surplus one) or at least a cheap-o Polish "Makarov" in 9x18.

Unfortunately, I don't see myself buying either soon because:

1. I seriously can't afford to stock another caliber ammunition (9x18) when my philosophy is to keep 1000-1500 rounds/firearm.

2. If "hi cap" - ahem - "standard cap" magazines are banned again I will have made a silly investment choice.

novaDAK
December 10, 2008, 04:32 AM
I really wat one of these now...:D

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/smith-wesson/semi-auto/p/smith-wesson-model-3904-9mm-4in-very-good-condition/cPath/16_211_430/products_id/2531

I already have a (double stack) 5904 and it's a great gun.

trackaddict88
December 10, 2008, 04:44 AM
I thought the P6's had run dry. I'll check around. Thanks, alex.

How heavy is that nova?

If you enjoyed reading about "Single Stack 9mm Carry Guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!