Found another Use for a AK 47

PDA

MT GUNNY
December 8, 2008, 03:47 PM
http://mobile.newsday.com/news.jsp?key=204042&rc=ts

BY JOSEPH MALLIA
joseph.mallia@newsday.com
December 07, 2008 04:01 PM

Two burglars chose the wrong house to invade when they broke into an Inwood home early Sunday morning. They were greeted by the resident who opened fire on them with his AK-47-style assault rifle, Nassau police said.

It was 5:32 a.m. Sunday when the male resident, 36, "heard suspicious noises coming from the front door of his home, and armed himself with a Romanian SAR-1 rifle," a variant of the Soviet AK-47 assault weapon, a police report said.

The two men "broke through the front door and were confronted by the victim, who shot four times toward the subjects," the police report said.

The burglars ran off, apparently uninjured, and four rifle shell casings were later found at the house, police said.

One of the men appeared to have been carrying a knife, the resident reported.

Fourth Squad detectives are investigating.

If you enjoyed reading about "Found another Use for a AK 47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SsevenN
December 8, 2008, 03:51 PM
I've never been a big fan of rifles for HD. I'm curious where those 4 rounds landed.:uhoh: That being said I'm glad no innocents were hurt.:)

Deer Hunter
December 8, 2008, 03:52 PM
Other than calling it an "assault rifle", it's rather good.

CYANIDEGENOCIDE
December 8, 2008, 03:54 PM
ok, so what is the "other use"? seems like defending one's life and property is pretty much in the scope of intended uses for an ak-47 as far as i know

MT GUNNY
December 8, 2008, 03:58 PM
Hunting Coyote's and other such animals
Sport shooting
Target Praticing
SD in the Home
Terrorist Attack

Kind of Blued
December 8, 2008, 04:22 PM
I've got:

1) Shooting things that need to be shot
2) Shooting things that are made to be shot
3) :confused:

possom813
December 8, 2008, 04:24 PM
You forgot about 'hammer for tent stakes' or is that the K31???

Also, 'Bat'

blkbrd666
December 8, 2008, 04:32 PM
Two burglars chose the wrong house to invade when they broke into an Inwood home early Sunday morning.

Sounds to me like they picked the RIGHT house...they were able to run. Is it television???...it has to be. They always miss on TV and I guess people think that's the norm. HOW can you fire four shots inside a home and miss four times???...unless it's one of Saddam's palaces and the front door is 100yds away.

TimRB
December 8, 2008, 04:41 PM
"HOW can you fire four shots inside a home and miss four times???"

The article says he shot "toward" the intruders. Maybe he intentionally missed, for whatever reason.

Tim

30 cal slob
December 8, 2008, 04:51 PM
3) Fondling

There. Fixed it for ya. ;)

David904
December 8, 2008, 05:32 PM
TimRB,

It is surprisingly easy to miss. CQB takes lots of practice and discipline. The bad guys may have already cleared the fatal funnel and were engaged by the homeowner in an open room.

As it was 0532, I suspect it was dark and the lights were out. After that first flash from the first round being fired, his night vision was kaput (effectively temporarily blinded). Adrenaline was flooding the defender's system, and he was alone. I'd say he did alright for himself. Glad there was no collateral damage from stray rounds. If there was, it would be entirely the fault of the invaders as the defender would have otherwise had no reason to discharge his weapon (of any make / configuration / caliber) in his home.

ETA
IANAL. The last line may or may not hold true in a court of law.

XTerminator
December 8, 2008, 06:03 PM
You forgot about 'hammer for tent stakes' or is that the K31???

No, thats the Mosin-Nagant 91/30. And it comes with it's own tent stake! :neener:

Steve

RockyMtnTactical
December 8, 2008, 06:05 PM
That's new?

Shooting BG's would be it's primary purpose IMO...

mljdeckard
December 8, 2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I don't like 'fired four shots at nothing'.

I'm not as big of a fan of rifles for HD either. I very much prefer shotguns.

CoRoMo
December 8, 2008, 06:30 PM
I thought this thread was going to reveal an uncommon use for an AK47. Something like changing a tire or trimming horse hooves.

bearmgc
December 8, 2008, 06:44 PM
HD seems pretty much within the scope of a rifle. I thought someone was gonna say, it makes a great bottle opener...

guntotinguy
December 8, 2008, 06:50 PM
That's new?

Shooting BG's would be it's primary purpose IMO...

Yep,thats my take on it too,just a matter of symantics is all.

kingpin008
December 8, 2008, 06:54 PM
HOW can you fire four shots inside a home and miss four times???

Ok, I'll tell ya what - I'll give you a paintball gun, and wait until you're asleep, then break into your house at five in the morning. Then, when you're trying to clear the sleep out of your eyes and stumbling around trying to find a light switch while getting your gun ready to possibly defend yourself, I'll move around and make noises like I'm trying to steal your stuff (or possibly come after you). Then, you can tell me how easy it is to get off shots and hit your target. :rolleyes:

damien
December 8, 2008, 07:50 PM
This guy needs to practice more.

kingpin008
December 8, 2008, 08:05 PM
This guy needs to practice more.

Or, people who've never been in a home-invasion shooting and thus know basically jack about the mechanics of making good hits under stress need to cut him a break.

Matrix187
December 8, 2008, 08:08 PM
He probably wouldn't have missed if he had an AA-12 shotgun loaded with 00 buck :evil:

wyocarp
December 8, 2008, 08:14 PM
Ok, I'll tell ya what - I'll give you a paintball gun, and wait until you're asleep, then break into your house at five in the morning. Then, when you're trying to clear the sleep out of your eyes and stumbling around trying to find a light switch while getting your gun ready to possibly defend yourself, I'll move around and make noises like I'm trying to steal your stuff (or possibly come after you). Then, you can tell me how easy it is to get off shots and hit your target.

kingpin008, I'm willing to try that. I won't stop at four and I'd be willing to put some money on the fact that you won't leave my house without screaming.

I have an AK beside my bed and I think it makes a great HD gun. Mine has a light and a laser.

RP88
December 8, 2008, 08:28 PM
things you can use an AK for:

-shooting targets
-shooting invaders
-shooting zombies
-keeping kids off the lawn
-bullet hosing
-hunting
-fishing for shallow-spawning fish
-cinderblock breaking
-firewood splitting
-makeshift chainsaw with enough ammo
-sledgehammer
-dirt plow
-shovel
-camp tent pole
-tearing up walls for home renovation
-paddling a boat or canoe
-playing field hockey
-playing baseball
-playing fetch with a large dog (empty mags for medium dogs)
-clubbing someone in the face
-Red Dawn impressions
-a makeshift object for hammer throw events
-firewood and/or scrap metal (chew toys for dogs if polymer furniture)
-showing off to your stupid friends
-lock-picking
-jimmying your car door with the cleaning rod
-using the cleaning kit pod pieces for assembling stripped AR lowers (it's what made up most of my tool kit for my first AR build)
-drifting M19/30 sights
-aerating your lawn
-fireworks on July 4th and New Years
-keeping Berliners on their respective sides of the wall
-profitable surplus/yard sale items
-gives poor 3rd-world kids work on the assembly line
-bayonet makes a good field and/or steak knife

I'm sure some others can think of other uses...

JImbothefiveth
December 8, 2008, 08:39 PM
bayonet makes a good field and/or steak knife
Do they sell it on the shopping channel?

sturmgewehr667
December 8, 2008, 08:41 PM
they really make it clear that it is an "assault weapon"

Geneseo1911
December 8, 2008, 08:48 PM
It's obvious that the shooter in question didn't have enough high speed lo drag tactical picatinny ninja goodies. the correct foregrip/flashlight/laser/bipod/reddot/chainsaw attachment would have killed all 4 BGs and the rest of their buddies back at the crackhouse without getting out of bed.

Gunnerpalace
December 8, 2008, 09:09 PM
Not so much the tool as the skill of the operator,

But at least they gave the correct name (SAR-1), and it looks like we have a legitimate defense with a AK-style rifle or MSSAR (Military Style Semi Automatic Rifle)

.38 Special
December 8, 2008, 09:21 PM
Missing stuff isn't exactly another use for the AK. It's the same use as I've seen from pretty much everyone who fires one.

And thanks for asking!

mljdeckard
December 8, 2008, 09:46 PM
It's not a sin to miss. But to shoot four times and miss tells me he was shooting to SCARE.

Macmac
December 8, 2008, 09:50 PM
deafening dirt bags..???

JoeSlomo
December 8, 2008, 10:21 PM
Found another Use for a AK 47

To justify the purchase of an M4....

:evil:

skeet king
December 9, 2008, 11:31 PM
This just gave me a great idea... A saiga 12 gauge for home defence what is better than a ak throwing 00 buck!

Auburn1992
December 10, 2008, 12:07 AM
ETA: Nevermind... found my mistake

MD_Willington
December 10, 2008, 12:55 AM
Should've used a Saiga12 with OO-Buck... :evil:

MachIVshooter
December 10, 2008, 01:03 AM
I've got:

3) :confused:

3) Trading fodder.

My old Romak got me this:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/Aspenfront.jpg

Of course, it took about another $5,000 and many, many hours for it to be the smooth-driving, 440-powered 160 MPH car it is today.

shiftyer1
December 10, 2008, 01:24 AM
It said they broke thru the door, probably as he was walking in, boom, (rush-fear- ****) bang bang bang.I would bet he had zero training. I fear i'd be in the same boat with a rifle. Which is why I keep a shotgun for hd. I feel I have a little breathing room.

mstirton
December 10, 2008, 04:14 AM
Hopefully he doesn't have any close neighbors. I have a decent distance between my house and others, but I still wouldn't keep my AK (or other rifle) for hd. I have loaded mags for other types of emergency however. USP45f is what I keep for that and I should bring the Mossberg500 out of the safe and keep it in the closet.

woodybrighton
December 10, 2008, 05:13 AM
theres 21 ways to open a bottle of beer with an SLR fal so an ak should give you more options.

weekend halt in forest in Germany and chronic underestimation of the cost of German beer:D

CQB is harder than it looks not sure you'd hit much with a shotgun without practice they don't cover the entire hallway with lead.
but the pellets won't go a mile after you missed.
I think the bunglers maybe trying to shoplift fresh underwear and or visting a church to repent there sins:evil:

Mp7
December 10, 2008, 05:24 AM
..thise BG can be considered lucky, that the Homeowner just chose
to deafen them and make them wet their pants......

Firing a rifle in an (urban) environment, that has lotsa neighbours
should get your RKBA removed IMHO.

Foolishness is no excuse for nuthin.

@MachIV .... you suck and we hate you :)

Lewis130
December 10, 2008, 07:18 AM
He might well live in a fairly rural area, where wall-penetration is an advantage.

And an AK makes a good crowbar and scares the Brady Bunch.

Mp7
December 10, 2008, 07:34 AM
"He might well live in a fairly rural area, where wall-penetration is an advantage."

You mean, u can kill ya neighbours without having
to drive all the way over there? :evil:

Bad Hammer
December 10, 2008, 08:02 AM
Missing stuff isn't exactly another use for the AK. It's the same use as I've seen from pretty much everyone who fires one.
I own two and shoot them fairly regularly.
Although they aren't match grade by any means, at 150 to 200 yards they are quite capable of achieving the results they were designed for.
A 9" paper plate doesn't stand a chance.:D

Marcus5aurelius
December 10, 2008, 09:59 AM
Yea an AK is not such a good idea for self defence. If 7.62 can punch through concrete then imagine how many houses it tore through after he shot it. Plus if he couldnt hit either with 4 rounds then god knows where they went. Mossberg all the way, limited punch through, except for the target : P

HardKnox
December 10, 2008, 10:15 AM
wow inwood is about 15 minutes from me in the same county, its pretty densely populated i wonder where those rounds went and how the hell can you not hit a target in your home with a rifle?? ***

unless i wonder if he was scared to actually shoot them (i dont blame him living in the peoples republic of NY he would have been prosecuted) and shot the floor or something instead hmm

Shear_stress
December 10, 2008, 10:20 AM
theres 21 ways to open a bottle of beer with an SLR fal so an ak should give you more options.

Damn, I can't believe someone beat me to it on the whole "beer bottle opening" angle.

jackstinson
December 10, 2008, 10:39 AM
Owning an AK is better than going to the gym!
Apparently no one has watched the History Channel's show on the Soviet Spetsnaz? Where a former member demonstrated doing push-ups on top of his AK. Placing his hands on hand guard and stock with the 30-round magazine being the only point touching the floor.
BTW- I keep my AK loaded also. Remember all those predictions about rioting in the streets after 11/4? :rolleyes:

mbt2001
December 10, 2008, 10:47 AM
Awsome...

Great going dude...

Prolly missed because after the first round he was flash blinded. None of the SAR-1's that I have seen came with the flash hider.

ozwyn
December 10, 2008, 10:55 AM
Well, as much as I'd like to disparage the shooter's skills... he did come out of the incident alive and drove away the bad guys.

He won the fight, which is all anyone can ask of a weapon....

chuckusaret
December 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
I'm a pretty good shooter, but not with a SAR-1. Biggest piece of garbage that I have ever fired.

.38 Special
December 10, 2008, 08:31 PM
Although they aren't match grade by any means, at 150 to 200 yards they are quite capable of achieving the results they were designed for.

Killing American soldiers?

MachIVshooter
December 10, 2008, 09:50 PM
Killing American soldiers?

The weapon was designed as a result of one Soviet's experience fighting German soldiers, actually.

RP88
December 11, 2008, 02:42 AM
well, if we're going to throw bigoted remarks like that about the AK-47...

But seriously, it really is quite a degree of cost-effectiveness and ingenuity when you can give a two-bit person a 300-dollar gun and 200-dollar training and then watch him take down a 100,000-dollar marine with all his gear and specialized training.

Golden Hound
December 11, 2008, 04:19 AM
Well, a lot of the militaries that used the AK-47 had the strategy of "throw as many bodies as you can" at the enemy, so with that kind of tactic, sure, a bunch of ill-trained fellows with cheap weapons can defeat a Marine. But for every Marine that they manage to take out, they probably lose 10 of their guys trying.

The jury's still out on which one of these approaches is actually better at winning a war.

RP88
December 11, 2008, 02:51 PM
doesn't matter, so long as you win...

but the whole 'weapon of the enemy' garbage is retarded. Many nations who we consider allies use AKs or variants of AKs, and alot of them are quite adequately trained, too.

KelVarnson
December 12, 2008, 12:45 AM
Glad there was no collateral damage from stray rounds. If there was, it would be entirely the fault of the invaders as the defender would have otherwise had no reason to discharge his weapon (of any make / configuration / caliber) in his home.

You don't really believe that, do you? You're ALWAYS responsible for your bullets, no matter what you're shooting at or why.

Fenris
December 12, 2008, 03:17 AM
Someone suggested a shotgun would have been easier to make a hit. Nonsense. Shotguns generally only expand 1 inch per yard. Not a big advantage at HD distances.

To get a really wide spread use a claymore. "Front toward enemy" And stand back. :neener:

shiftyer1
December 26, 2008, 01:51 AM
Someone suggested a shotgun would have been easier to make a hit. Nonsense. Shotguns generally only expand 1 inch per yard. Not a big advantage at HD distances.

I know it doesn't give a 2 foot wide pattern but I do feel more comfortable with it and it does have a certain margin of error. I have rifles and pistols also but for some reason a shotgun is what I think of first. Use whats fits ya and what u like. If a carbine size rifles feels good, then by all means use it. Hell if a 500 s&w feels good use it! But don't use something that just don't fit you because soneone said so.

QuietEarp
December 26, 2008, 02:59 PM
One good thing about him missing the invaders is that it sounds as if the home owner is living his life in a normal way right now instead of being examined in a fatal shooting incident. If someone wants to take my stuff I am not sure that I would use deadly force. If someone wants to harm me physically then it may come to that. Either way if I am holding a good firearm I can be in more control of the situation. Maybe the homeowner missed on purpose? It did say he fired "toward" the bad guys which seems a little less aimed than "at" the bad guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Found another Use for a AK 47" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!