Ruger LCP VS Kel-Tec 380

PDA

CZ223
December 8, 2008, 04:13 PM
I know a lot of you have, and are very fond of, the Kel-Tec 380's. I also know that the Ruger LCP is pretty new and, have had some initial problems. I would be very interested in what those of you who have shot both think about how they compare. Interestingly, I bought the Ruger for $254 at KTP and the Kel-Tec was $229. At Cabelas the Kel-Tec was $269. Either way, price was not a huge factor. Honestly, I think that the Ruger looked a little nicer than the Kel-Tec. I also have to admit picking the Ruger just for the name. I suppose if the gun functions well, then I did the right thing. If not someone will surely say I told you so.:D So what do you guys think of the KT VS the LCP?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCP VS Kel-Tec 380" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jpwilly
December 8, 2008, 04:16 PM
I voted LCP a couple months ago at Cabelas. Nice little 380. Finish and style points but functionally they are almost identical. If Ruger hadn't come out with the LCP I would have had no problem getting the KT.

telomerase
December 8, 2008, 09:29 PM
So what do you guys think of the KT VS the LCP?

Did you get an LCP that was post-recall?

lsfagan
December 8, 2008, 09:55 PM
I currently have a LCP with the crimson trace laser on it I love my RUGER the fit and finish are hands down better than the Kel Tec I sold at the last gun show. As far as reliability I would say they are both about equal. The reason I bought the RUGER and sold my Kel Tec is I like the slide lock on the RUGER some ranges I shoot at want the gun left open and that is a nice feature in my opinion. I also like the feel of the trigger on my RUGER over the Kel Tec I don't know that there is weight difference but I like the feel a lot better.:scrutiny::scrutiny:

presspuller
December 9, 2008, 07:14 AM
I own a KT but if I were looking today for another I would probably go with the Ruger for the better finish and the slide lock.
I have never had any problems out of the KT either, it has been 100%

packgoat
December 9, 2008, 08:59 AM
I don't have a Ruger, but my Keltec P3at has been reliable and accurate out of the box. I think Keltec has a better warranty.

Graymutt
December 9, 2008, 09:39 AM
I have shot both and I purchased the LCP. I have a friend who did the opposite. it is all in the shooter

Craig M. Arnold
December 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
I've had both and liked the trigger on my two KelTecs better.

Best regards.

CZ223
December 9, 2008, 11:04 AM
I didn't expect that at all. I have tried the triggers on the the KT and the LCP that I bought has a much nicer trigger. I was actually surprised by just how smooth it was. My daughter agrees as well. Maybe you just have two really nice KTs, who knows. As far as the other poster who mentioned the recall, since this gun was 1 of 100 that were brought in for the sale last Saturday and Sunday I would have to say that it is post recall. I am glad to see that many of you favor the LCP. Keep it coming.

Craig M. Arnold
December 9, 2008, 11:32 AM
Yep, everyone has different experiences and therefore comes to different conclusions.

Enjoy you LCP.

Best regards.

AndrewGWU
December 9, 2008, 11:46 AM
I like my Keltec the best...

32 Magnum
December 9, 2008, 02:42 PM
Ruger LCPs subject to recall have serial number with prefix '370' - 2nd generation with redesigned hammer/sear engagement will have prefix '371'.
Refitted 1st Gen. LCPs will have an 'X' stamped into the recess in slide behind the hammer.
on both the Ruger and Kel-Tec, after the chamber has been charged with a round, the hammer remains at about 60% cocked - if it slips off the sear, there is a chance it will impart enough force to ignite the primer - especially if dropped on the rear of the slide - but incidents were also recorded where the piece was "set down forcefuly" on a hard surface resulting in discharge. There's not much else being released by Ruger, other than they are replacing the hammer and some other of the "fire control" parts.

Lone_Gunman
December 9, 2008, 07:16 PM
I have both and don't think there is any functional difference, but the Ruger is better looking.

sniper7369
December 9, 2008, 07:28 PM
I much prefer my Kel-Tecs. I looked at an LCP but I didn't like what Rugar did with the design. The trigger on my P-3AT is better than the one on the LCP I handled as well. KT customer service is also some of the absolute best I have ever experienced.

Geezer Glide
December 9, 2008, 07:33 PM
My Kel-Tec has never been recalled.

mgregg85
December 9, 2008, 07:37 PM
I've only held the ruger but I own the kel-tec, I prefer the heavier checkering on the kel-tec instead of the smoothness of the ruger. Other than that there really isn't much difference.

telomerase
December 9, 2008, 09:39 PM
on both the Ruger and Kel-Tec, after the chamber has been charged with a round, the hammer remains at about 60% cocked - if it slips off the sear, there is a chance it will impart enough force to ignite the primer -

Huh.

On a completely unrelated subject, when is someone going to make an updated lightweight I-frame in some modern (i.e. case not designed for blackpowder) :D

Lone_Gunman
December 9, 2008, 11:13 PM
My Kel-Tec has never been recalled.

Keltec could not afford to do a recall, but the Kel Tec has the same issue as the LCP.

ConstantineJ9
December 9, 2008, 11:14 PM
Ruger (if affordable)

Ruger=Reliability

Companion Cube
December 10, 2008, 12:25 AM
I probably will not buy a Ruger product again.

Firearms(and the times you need to use them) just are not mistake-friendly. Ruger has now released TWO semiauto handguns that required a recall in a very short period of time.

In addition to releasing the unsafe firearms, new updated LCPs are showing up on store shelves before Ruger fixes the unsafe ones they've already sold. I signed up online almost a month ago and have heard nothing(other than the confirmation email, of course). I also emailed them about 5 days ago.

They already have my money, so what do they care that I have an unsafe gun? They've got money to make by selling more LCPs! :fire:

My P3AT had a problem, too. One phone call to Kel Tec, though, and all was good within a week.

32 Magnum
December 10, 2008, 11:45 AM
Quote:
on both the Ruger and Kel-Tec, after the chamber has been charged with a round, the hammer remains at about 60% cocked - if it slips off the sear, there is a chance it will impart enough force to ignite the primer -

Huh.

Try this - unload your KelTec or LCP - after racking the slide take note of the hammer position - raised off the firing pin but still within the slide hood - pull the trigger and look at where the hammer is now located - full forward against the rear of the bolt/firing pin. That's what I meant about the hammer being at about 60% cocked when there is a round in the chamber.

Ala Dan
December 10, 2008, 12:32 PM
I own a Kel -Tec* P3AT .380 that has performed flawlessly, and see NO
need too buy the Ruger LCP~! :scrutiny:

The Kel - Tec factory in Cocoa, FL recommends not using Federal Hydra-
Shoks in their guns; due to the long nose bullet design.

Geezer Glide
December 10, 2008, 02:09 PM
Keltec could not afford to do a recall

You were joking, weren't you? A recall, if necessary, would have to be done whether Kel-Tec could afford it or not. The liability lawyers would see to that.

shooter429
December 10, 2008, 07:41 PM
KTs are second-rate copies :)

shooter429

sniper7369
December 10, 2008, 08:16 PM
LCPs are the best
KTs are second-rate copies

Are you trying to be funny? :scrutiny:

Lone_Gunman
December 10, 2008, 08:31 PM
You were joking, weren't you? A recall, if necessary, would have to be done whether Kel-Tec could afford it or not. The liability lawyers would see to that.

No, I am not joking. Kel-tec would go bankrupt if they tried to do the same recall Ruger is doing. I

shooter429
December 10, 2008, 10:07 PM
That depends...am I ?

Shooter429:)

Old Salty Dog
December 10, 2008, 10:12 PM
With only a slight sideways nudge to this thread :D
any opinions on the Walther PPK vs the LCP or Keltec?
Thanks!

marv
December 10, 2008, 11:58 PM
I have both. P3AT: A little cheaper, slightly more accurate, better trigger. LCP: Cleaner lines, better looks, recoil not as harsh due to slightly wider grip. I am currently carrying the P3ATdue to the LCP recall.

ConstantineJ9
December 11, 2008, 12:03 AM
ppk ruger or kel tek

Walther

out of Ruger vs Kel Tek

Ruger

cpirtle
December 11, 2008, 01:13 AM

No, I am not joking. Kel-tec would go bankrupt if they tried to do the same recall Ruger is doing.

Ruger is recalling the LCP voluntarily.

The point is, they are the same guns - Ruger saw a flaw and decided to remedy it, Keltec has let it go and the flaw remains AFAIK.

tinygnat219
December 11, 2008, 01:24 PM
Well,
Considering that the only Ruger LCP I have held was at SHOT Show and despite my best efforts cannot find another to save my life, I'd have to go with my trusty, non-rusty, needs re-finishing Kel-Tec P3AT.

CZ223
December 11, 2008, 11:31 PM
I was merely looking for opinions. Boy, do you guys have your opinions.:D Tiny, Kittery Trading post in Kittery Maine had 100 of them this past weekend. They sold 60 on Saturday and they were still selling like hotcakes on Sunday when I got mine but I believe they still have some left. They will ship to your dealer. You guys got me a little nervous about that recall thing but, as it turns out, mine has been retrofitted. I can't wait to get out and run 200-250 rounds through this thing but, I guess I will have to. We are in the middle of an ice storm right now and it doesn't look like it will be getting much better any time soon. I have four other guns that I also need to function fire right now. I will let you guys know what happens when I get the chance to torture test thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCP VS Kel-Tec 380" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!