Is This Possible?

PDA

Jayhawker
December 9, 2008, 03:47 PM
I've seen it mentioned on one forum or the other the poster's idea that very slow loads should be inaccurate because the bullet will still be in the barrel in the midst of recoil. Whereas, the faster the load, the bullet will be able to "beat" the recoil effect on aiming. On the other hand, this doesn't seem right because bullseye shooters use minimal loads for accuracy. Any part or full-time physicists out have accurate information on this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is This Possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrBorland
December 9, 2008, 03:59 PM
The gun will always move under recoil a wee bit while the bullet's still in the barrel, no matter the speed of the bullet. Physics says so.

When you solve the conservation of momentum equation (M xV), and let V = distance/time, you'll see that the time the gun's being pushed by the bullet (i.e. recoil) is the same amount of time the bullet's traveling down the barrel, so time cancels out of both sides of the equation. The distance the gun moves while the bullet's still in the barrel is therefore proportional to the length of the barrel and the relative masses of the bullet and gun. It's independent of muzzle velocity.

Jim Watson
December 9, 2008, 07:10 PM
Which is why target shooters work on follow-through. And air gun shooters work really hard on follow-through. The pellet is light but it is in the barrel a long time, relatively speaking.

Jayhawker
December 9, 2008, 07:53 PM
I flunked math in high school and managed to get through college without any physics so thank you both for your replies.

Drail
December 9, 2008, 08:33 PM
Follow through is very very important. The sights can be adjusted to compensate for dwell time in the bore, but if you move the gun any at all it's not going to be on target. Dry fire helps immensely.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is This Possible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!