First time out with new chrono

PDA

WheelMan
September 22, 2003, 02:28 AM
I received a shooting chrony "beta" model for my birthday and took it to the range today.

Firstly, what fun! It'll be nice to actually be able to tell what I'm doing with my reloads instead of the ole' "yep, that kicked pretty hard, must be fast" Anyway, here are todays results (all velocities are average of 10)

1. Slavia 620 --- 7.3 grain.177 caliber pellets --- 649fps
2. Rem. 550I 22" --- 40gr Rem. Golden Bullet .22lr -- 1152fps
3. Ruger SS 5.5" --- 40gr CCI MAXIMAG +V .22wmr --- 1546fps !!!!
4. Ruger Vaq. 5.5" --- 240gr Win. USA JSP .44 mag --- 1253fps
5. Ruger Vaq. 7.5" --- 240gr Win. USA JSP .44 mag --- 1366fps
6. Marlin 1894S 20" --- 240gr Win. USA JSP .44 mag --- 1696fps

The most surprising thing was the .22 mag, I wish I'd had some non +V to check it against, I'd always heard the .22 mag let you get .22lr-in-a-rifle performance out of a handgun, but this stuff blew the golden bullet away. Maybe a stinger or other superspeedy would narrow the gap. Or maybe I have a particularly slow Rem. 550.

I it was also neat to see the rule of thumb about 50fps per inch played out between the 5.5 and 7.5 vaquero ( A guy at the range saw my vaqueros and carbine and invited me to come to the cowboy shoot next Sunday)

The numbers for the Win USA are pretty close to factory specs so I think I'm getting good numbers. I think I'm going to get a couple level bubbles and glue them into the inside of the chrony case to make sure I get a good setup. Anyway, lots of fun, just thought I'd pass some of it along.

If you enjoyed reading about "First time out with new chrono" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pumpkinheaver
September 22, 2003, 04:46 PM
I have a friend that put a 147 fmj thru his chrono the first time he used it. I'm glad your first trip worked out better than his!

WheelMan
September 22, 2003, 06:59 PM
That concerned me a bit, so I was extra super careful, not a bad habit to be in anyway.

HankL
September 22, 2003, 10:05 PM
Wheelman, You will really enjoy your chrono when you shoot your reloads over it. Keep notes, the chrono will provide a wealth of information.

Northwest Cajun
September 22, 2003, 11:19 PM
Tip:
Get rid of the steel rods that support the sky screens. Use small dowels from a hardware store if you hit a steel rod it will break the chrono. If you shoot the wood, no loss.
And
on cloudy days you do not need the sky screens.
Cajun

SASS#23149
September 22, 2003, 11:30 PM
Fun little gadgets,eh????? :)
If you go cowboy shooting,leave the metal jacketed stuff home.....lead pills ONLY at cowboy shoots.And keep em dowloaded for quicker recovery times.;)

WheelMan
September 22, 2003, 11:52 PM
Heh, yeah the fellow looked at the chrony screen and said "You'll have to load them down a bit." I actually bought a book about cowboy shooting a couple weeks ago with the idea of getting into at somepoint. I use the vaquero and carbine for carry when I'm afield and I thought CAS would be a good way to build skills for real life sitautions using the same hardware (sort of like a pseudo-tacticle school for people with ancient weapons :) ).

If you enjoyed reading about "First time out with new chrono" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!