Hi-point C9?

PDA

zombienerd
December 10, 2008, 01:35 AM
Hello all,

Budget is super tight, and I was looking at a C9 for possible conceal carry.

1st, I know they're ugly.
2nd, I hear they're not exactly ergonomic.
3rd, I haven't heard anything bad about reliability..
4th, the price is right.

So, has anyone actually carried one of these? I can't get a good estimate on size, does anyone have a picture of one of them next to another gun, maybe an M9 or similar sized?

Has anyone had one fail? All I've heard is good things besides the look and feel....

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-point C9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ConstantineJ9
December 10, 2008, 01:38 AM
The C9 is a great gun, a little bulky but fits great in the hand and is fairly acurate and reliable for the price.

KC0QGL
December 10, 2008, 01:39 AM
So, has anyone actually carried one of these?

Yes and its too bulky for CC IMO.

ConstantineJ9
December 10, 2008, 01:39 AM
You should join here http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/

you'll get a lot of info there.

makarovnik
December 10, 2008, 11:19 AM
For less money you can get a PA-63 or for about the same price as the Hi-point you could get a P64.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hi-Points...Just not for C.C.

32 Magnum
December 10, 2008, 11:30 AM
I'm amazed - four responses in a row and not one "they're a total POS" tirade!!! This has to be a first for me. We've sold almost 60 HiPoint pistols in the past year, thru the shop where I work PT. Only had one come back for service and that one came back twice - must have been a Monday gun. About half of what we've sold have been the C9s. The price: $159. Some have been bought by "high end" customers who wanted a range gun to beat up - I've not heard any bad words (other than the guy who had to return his twice) about them, except maybe in the accuracy department - not being quite as accurate as their 2000 buck target tuned 1911. Good guns for the money - may have a limited life span of less than 10K rounds, by some accounts - but very few folks will ever approach that level with casual shooting practices. They are a bit bulky, but I know of two of our customers, who are thin, who carry HiPoints (one the .40 the other 9mm) concealed and don't seem to mind the bulk. If that is what you can afford, as I tell our customers - then buy it and prove it in, practice and use it in good health.

sogarimfire
December 10, 2008, 07:45 PM
I have a C9 now and used to own a JHP45.The C9 is a great hunting/truck/beat around gun.I carry it in a Fobus holster while hunting and if anyone has ever seen it they havent told me.I am also wearing heavy jackets.I dont use it for CC its to big and heavy.I have a Glock for that.The 45 is HUGE .Too big for me so I sold it.I did shoot flawless thru the 100 rounds I put thru it.

RacingJake
December 11, 2008, 04:16 PM
And you can paint them up anyway you like :what:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj208/Racingjake/005-2.jpg

ConstantineJ9
December 11, 2008, 04:37 PM
Nice Jake

Gord
December 11, 2008, 04:43 PM
For CC, your money would be better spent on the cheapest old S&W Model 10 or somesuch that you can find. There are options out there for ~$200-250 that I'd much sooner trust my life to than a Hi-Point; the track record just isn't there for scrutiny.

ConstantineJ9
December 11, 2008, 04:49 PM
My hi point has jammed less most $600 Beretta's and the US Army is using Beretta's!!! Quite bashing on good guns.

ConstantineJ9
December 11, 2008, 04:54 PM
And besides S&W has failed before in 1986 during the FBI murders.... scroll down to ''The Aftermath'' and read about Jerry Dove's S&W that failed to feed several times http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

Hawk
December 11, 2008, 05:29 PM
TANSTAAFL

The Hi-Point achieves its price point to some extent by being of straight blowback operation rather than locked breech. This saves some parts and labor.

The trade-off is that the slide must be massive enough and sprung enough to do the job ordinarily assigned to a breech lock.

Therefore, it's heavier and larger than its locked breech competition of similar capacity.

Once a handgun gets to a certain critical mass, as it were, which varies with each individual, it's left at home rather than carried. At that point all the academic comparisons with other products and / or chamberings become moot. It doesn't matter whose army carries what or what happened to some LEOs at some point in time - none of that matters if your firearm has been left at home.

Nobody can make that determination for you but if you haven't already tried carrying one I would suggest this be examined and given a higher priority than most anything else. And it should be attempted with one of the holsters referenced on Hi-Point's web site or something else that's known affordable. The magic convergence of a bulky Hi-Point and a marginal holster has left far too many of that combination in various coat closets where they don't do anybody much good.

Gord
December 11, 2008, 05:41 PM
Quite bashing on good guns.

Quit fanboying. :rolleyes:

I'm not "bashing" anything; simply pointing out that there are other cheap guns out there with "known good" track records in real-world use, whereas the Hi-Point, not generally being thought of as a carry gun, doesn't. Whether that's enough to justify saving up to cover the extra $100 on the price tag is up to the OP.

My hi point has jammed less most $600 Beretta's

Thanks for the rigorous scientific analysis, there.

CoRoMo
December 11, 2008, 05:43 PM
Yee Haw! Another Hi-Point Thread!

My C9 has never failed to date. Although I'd have to qualify that statement by saying that I don't shoot it as much anymore now that I have a lot more interesting toys. But I'm not selling it because it'll fire and reload every pull of the trigger.
I prefer my P11 for CC because of the capacity and size.
The C9 is rather bulky, but it is definitely small enough to CC because I know people who pack 1911s and it is slightly smaller than a full size 1911 IIRC.

ConstantineJ9
December 11, 2008, 05:43 PM
You are right on that, it may be too big for SOME for concealed carry but when I get my ccw im going to use a good old fasioned shoulder holster.

ConstantineJ9
December 11, 2008, 05:46 PM
Are you saying that the hi point doesn't have a good track record? I can think of two gun forums and severald thousan people it has worked flawlessly for!!! Your famous S&W has got one FBI agent killed and jammed for several people.

Gord
December 11, 2008, 05:54 PM
Ever heard the phrase "the plural of anecdote is not data"? That's what I've been getting at here.

By the way, the Model 10 is a .38 revolver. The fact that you don't know the difference says more than I ever could, and with that I take my leave from this thread... best of luck, OP, whatever you decide upon :)

ConstantineJ9
December 11, 2008, 05:55 PM
Sorry, I didn't see the model 10 posted just S&W and you doubting a good gun but my mistake.

AllAmerican
December 13, 2008, 06:54 PM
Have 2 Hi Points. Like em alot for shooting in the back yard. Never had a problem with either of mine after breaking em in and cleaning and lubing.

Would I carry one? Nope.

indyk
December 13, 2008, 07:07 PM
HiPoint Users Forum.... http://hipointforums.proboards.com//Forum/

Another Users Forum.... http://hipointtalk.com/

HiPoint Company Website.... http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

HiPoint Accessories website (FREE S&H).... http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/products.asp

HiPoint "Link Central" (Very Cool).... http://www.mouseguns.com/hipoint/hipoint.htm

shooting times.com
defense review.com
gunslot.com
gun review.com

Also recently started a new thread at

http://ingunowners.com
hipoint pistol owners and non owners "handgun section"

hope this helps in your quest

ConstantineJ9
December 13, 2008, 07:18 PM
Both of the Hi Point forums(im on both) are great for info and fellow Hi Point owners.

poilu
December 14, 2008, 07:25 PM
there's something to be said about pride of ownership when choosing a weapon.

XavierBreath
December 14, 2008, 07:44 PM
When you don't have much to spend, Hi Points have a reputation for delivering the goods. They aren't pretty. They are made cheaply. They are barely accurate enough.

They are designed to be inexpensive and still reliable. They are chambered in 9mm, a defensive caliber. I would recommend that you search out a used S&W Model 10, but if you must have a pistol, and you want a new one for around $150, the Hi Point is your best bet.

A buddy of mine who works out of a service truck carries one in each side of the truck, in the locked toolboxes. They bounce around with the chains all day. They look like a drunk Marine in a Pattaya Beach kick boxing ring, but they still shoot. (Note, I do not recommend this form of carry.........)

The Hi Point below failed to shoot, but we think it might have been the ammunition. YMMV.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa89/xavier-pics/RUSTYHiPOINT743.jpg

;)

crushbup
December 14, 2008, 09:02 PM
:what:
What happened there? Tragic fishing accident?

bensdad
December 14, 2008, 09:30 PM
Don't forget, you could send THAT Hi-Point back to them, and they would fix or replace it. The guarantee is forever... regardless of previous ownership.

XavierBreath
December 14, 2008, 10:16 PM
hurricane Katrina.

janobles14
December 14, 2008, 10:18 PM
i have a c9 and like it. i prefer to carry other things but i will say that i have put thousands of rounds through it and have not had ANY malfunctions. accuracy is decent at best. gold dots actually shoot well in mine.

Deltaboy
December 14, 2008, 10:19 PM
Well Xavier I watched a man shoot 248/250 in a CCL Qual with one.

my Hi point 45 shoots as good as any of my Ruger Autos or S&W ones I own.

XavierBreath
December 14, 2008, 10:55 PM
A 248/250 with a Hi Point is certainly possible. No argument there.

ConstantineJ9
December 14, 2008, 11:28 PM
Shot a box of 50 through my Hi Point today(Magtech 230 grain FMJ). It was acurate enough.

RacingJake
December 15, 2008, 11:36 PM
I just got done with a 100 round box in ten minutes and 25 of them were in the bulls-eye at 7 yards. They are just plain simple guns but they are fun to shoot at the range. Heck if I had 1000 rounds today I'd shoot them all up in an hour :neener:

zignal_zero
December 16, 2008, 02:03 AM
i've seen a HP (model unknown) with a cracked slide. i would either search for a decent used revolver or (honestly) spend the buck fifty on a good concealable knife..

ConstantineJ9
December 16, 2008, 03:56 AM
Funny I have never seen or heard of that being apart of two hi point forums, and thousands of rounds through almost everyone's guns. No cracks or serious sighns of wear at all. And you saw one with a crack in it, was it hit with a sledge hammer? Thats the only way I see it happening unless someone put about 10's of thousands of rounds through it.

zignal_zero
December 16, 2008, 02:05 PM
CJ9,

here's what happened - a pawn shop was going out of business, they had apx 20 pistols left over, they told a friend he could have them for $20 each if he took the whole pile, he did.

there was one decent spinner in the bunch, but the rest were Jennings, Lorcins, and High Points. some of which did not even work.

while i was going over the lot, he pointed out the cracked slide. I MIGHT BE MISTAKEN, it might've been one of the Lorcins. i'll call him and find out, for sure, today. if it was, i apologize for my incorrect statement.

hhersh
December 16, 2008, 03:00 PM
A total POS !....:cuss: Someone HAD to say it !!:neener::neener:

ConstantineJ9
December 16, 2008, 03:09 PM
hhersh, a total POS? Now your just tryin to be a horses ***

sniper7369
December 16, 2008, 03:55 PM
I don't own one myself, but by all accounts it's not a bad gun. They are just god awful butt ugly though. :barf:
I thought about picking one up just to throw in the console of the Bronco and forget about until I needed it, but nobody around here stocks them.
Honestly for a carry gun I would save another hundred bucks and pick up a P-11, they are a LOT more concealable and you will therefore be a LOT more likely to have it on you when you need it. :)

bluetopper
December 16, 2008, 10:32 PM
Hi Points are marvelous guns for what they are. I've owned a few of them. I was really taken with their 45 pistol. The thing ran like a sewing machine, ate every kind of ammo like candy, and was quite accurate.

And Oh BTW, I haven't owned a Hi Point in quite some time.:uhoh:

bensdad
December 16, 2008, 10:39 PM
I really like my C-9. If it were all I had (or could afford) I would not hesitate to carry it. Actually, I DO carry it when I'm roughing it (in or around water, mud filth, etc.).

The grip is too slick for me. I have hockey tape wrapped around the grip. The thing looks dumber than all-get-out, but she's dependable.

J.R.W.
December 16, 2008, 11:03 PM
I thought about buying one to keep in my kayak....for an anchor

zignal_zero
December 16, 2008, 11:05 PM
i was mistaken. it was NOT the HP that had the cracked slide.

my sincere apologies to all the proud owners of this fine piece of craftsmanship :neener:

J/K truth is - if it's reliable and combat accurate, it's a good weapon. those are the only 2 true qualifiers, when it comes down to it. HP isn't my thing, but if it works, you've got a gun

mr.trooper
December 16, 2008, 11:09 PM
I own a 2 C9s and a full sized 45.

Yes, they go bang when you pull the trigger, NO they are not carry pieces. they are far to lumpy and heavy.

If you can only spend $175, then spend it on a FEG PA-63. The ammo is cheaper, and it much more concealable.

ohioarmedneutrality
December 16, 2008, 11:48 PM
I put a Hogue Hand-all grip on my C9. It was a struggle to get it on, but it sure improved how it felt in my hand. Weather has been too crummy for me to try it out unfortunately.

ljnowell
December 17, 2008, 12:51 AM
I have shot a .40 cal hi point. It shot to POA well, and was reliable. Its just so top heavy its not funny.

mr.trooper
December 17, 2008, 11:26 AM
They go bang, but there is SO MUCH MORE to a pistol than that.

* They don't carry well because of their weight and bulk.

* Slide is massive, and heavy. Bad for small or light framed shooters

* night sights are not available from the factory, and nobody makes them aftermarket. combine this with no way to mount a light, and you have the makings of a TERRIBLE nightstand gun.

Thus, despite their rage reliability, they are poor choices for anything serious.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-point C9?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!