Sig Mosquito

PDA

cbrgator
December 11, 2008, 02:35 AM
Yay? Nay? Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Mosquito" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
capnswole
December 11, 2008, 02:42 AM
I have put about 900 rounds through mine with no problems. Shot it three times with 300 rounds each session and it worked great. I was using CCI mini mag ammo, which it says in the manual that it is a good ammo to use. The downside it is a little more expensive, but you can still get it pretty cheap from wal mart - waaaay cheaper than any of the other traditional handgun calibers. I have heard of people having reliability problems with 22 auto loaders. I could imagine it could be from running a lower pressure round that could have trouble cycling the action.

cbrgator
December 11, 2008, 01:04 PM
Would it work with Federal Bulk?

nofishbob
December 11, 2008, 09:16 PM
Here's my experience with a Mosquito's ammo preferences:

CCI Mini Mags....no problem ever. Mag after mag without a failure to extract.

Bulk ammo lubed in a zip lock bag with Hornady Case lube (One Shot): 90% ok with a FTF every few mags, maybe one FTF out of five mags or less. This is what I usually end up shooting- a good compromise between economy and reliability.

Bulk ammo unlubed: expect an FTF in just about every mag. Almost un-shootable.

The little Sig got better after 500 rounds or so with the lubed bulk ammo. Still a battle with the unlubed bulk after about 1500 rounds.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Quoheleth
December 11, 2008, 09:27 PM
I have heard of people having reliability problems with 22 auto loaders.

FWIW, my Browning Buckmark does not have feeding problems. When it does, that tells me it's time for a bath (the gun, not me).

Big B
December 11, 2008, 09:30 PM
I got to shoot a buddy's at the range. He said CCI Mini Mags always seem to work, and the bulk stuff is allright if the gun is clean. Only complaint I had was that the trigger was terrible. It felt like I was breaking a 1/4" glass rod just to fire it. Other than the trigger I thought it was fine.

WoofersInc
December 11, 2008, 09:31 PM
I have one. It has been shot exclusively with a suppressor on it. So far the only ammo I have run through it has been Remington bulk subsonics. It has run without any problems so far with a round count at about 1500 through it so far.

nwilliams
December 11, 2008, 10:10 PM
It's hit or miss the the Mosquito, some people love others hate them. I had one for a couple months if that tells you anything:rolleyes:

atblis
December 11, 2008, 10:21 PM
If your after a 22 auto loader pistol that resembles a center fire autoloader, the one to get is the CZ Kadet. It is available as an entire pistol. Well worth the extra money if that's what you want. No comparison between that and the Mosquito. The CZ is a quality piece.

doc2rn
December 11, 2008, 10:47 PM
Ruger Standard! enough said.

franconialocal
December 11, 2008, 11:19 PM
I just bought a Sig P220 in the new .22 LR conversion. I'll be posting photos and "test results" soon. I almost bought the Mosquito, but wanted to stay true to what I carry for duty (P220 .45 Auto). I've only put one box of ammo (Federal) down the pipe so far but the results have been good!!

OcelotZ3
December 12, 2008, 12:31 AM
I'm still in the break-in period with CCI mini-mags. No problems so far with ~250 rounds through it.

punkndisorderly
December 12, 2008, 10:09 AM
It depends on what you want it for. If you're looking for a fun plinker, the mosquito would probably be great for you (though I've heard that mini-mags are almost a requirement for most peoples mosquito's).

I'd check out the Ruger MkII's and MkIII's and browning buck marks. You'll likely get better accuracy and are they are less picky about ammo.

Currently I shoot a Ruger MkIII Competition Target. It jammed like crazy when I purchased it new. Sent it back to Ruger and it's functioned flawlessly since with everything from cheap bulk to expensive target ammo. Accuracy is much better than I'm capable of fully utilizing. The trigger is super sweet. I've probably got 6 or 7 thousand rounds through it now with zero problems.

The only complaiints I have are a) taking it apart and putting it back together can be a pain until you figure out the "tricks", and b) it can get heavy for long range sessions. I don't even want to think about how many have been brought back to the gun stores in pieces in a paper bag by people that couldn't get them back together. I know I did, and the store owner said I wasn't even close to the first. Once I had the store owner show me how to do it a couple of times, then did it a couple of times myself, I never had another problem.

Prior to that, I had a MkII target and was also very pleased with it. It also ran everything from cheap bulk to high dollar target loads without problems. I purchased it used, so no telling how many rounds went though it. I ran at least 5,000 rounds through it, an probably closer to 10,000 before I sold it (along with several other guns) to fincance going back to school. Everyone that shot either always remarked a) damn that's a sweet trigger, what did you do to it (nothing) and b) man that's accurate. Even my Ruger hating buddy admited he really liked it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig Mosquito" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!