Connecticut CCL


December 11, 2008, 05:55 AM
I am moving to Connecticut fairly soon. What is getting a CCL like there?

If you enjoyed reading about "Connecticut CCL" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
December 11, 2008, 09:59 AM
It's easier to get if you apply as a non-resident before you come here. If yuo go that route, you will mail in your application and NRA pistol safety certificate to the State Police and get a permit in the mail in about 8 weeks. You must then change the address when you get here (within 48 hours of moving).

If you wait until you get here:
-take nra basic pistol safety class (you'll take it regardless)
-apply to your town pd for a temperary state permit (many towns require reference letters, contact neighbors; take well longer than 8 weeks to issue)
-Once you get the temp permit, go to DPS HQ (or one of the issuing state police barracks) and get your permenant (5 year) permit.

December 11, 2008, 10:38 AM
It's easier to get if you apply as a non-resident before you come here

I agree - it does simplify things (and might cost less in the long run) as long as you already have a CCL in your current state of residence. Here are some quick references for the process if you move here then apply: (taken from

Legislation enacted Oct. 1, 2001,changed the permit process from two permits, a local
and state permit, to a single state permit. However it is obtained in a two-step process. A
temporary state permit may be obtained from the town in which you reside or own a
business. Upon issuance of a temporary state permit, the local authority shall forward the
original application to the Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety. Not later
than sixty days after receiving a temporary state permit, an applicant may obtain a
permanent state permit at one of the locations designated by the commissioner to receive
the state permit.

Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police. Call 860-685-8494 to have an application mailed out.

This permit is exactly like the permanent state permit, so you don't have to go thru the temporary process, but you will have to flip it over to a resident permit when you move here.

December 11, 2008, 05:09 PM
Some tips. Do NOT provide letters of reference if your town "requires" them. According to the BFPE and SLFU, a town can ask, but not "require" anything more restrictive than what the state requires and they can NOT refuse or delay a permit application if they aren't provided. My town (Naugatuck) doesn't ask for letters. Besides, as a new CT resident, who the heck is going to put their word down on paper endorsing someone to carry firearms whom they barely know? Can't use relatives so that's out. The only people I knew (barely) were neighbors and co-workers. EXACTLY the people I don't want knowing that I own firearms. At least, not at that point.

They want you to put your boss's name and phone number on the application. Well, when I was a new resident, I sure as hell didn't want my boss getting a call from the state police about his new employee and firearms. I just put my direct number down because, even though it's right after the boss's name, it only says "office number". That way, if they called, I could tell them he was busy and to call back later. Then I could discreetly pull him aside and explain why the state police might be calling instead of him getting blindsided on the phone without a clue. They never called my number, nor did they leave a voice mail. Anyone else had their employer contacted for a pistol permit?

If you enjoyed reading about "Connecticut CCL" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!