My all blue Vaquero!

PDA

Prepster
December 11, 2008, 10:47 PM
I love my New Vaquero to death, but unfortunately, the fake color case hardening started wearing off. I called Ruger, and they agreed to blue the frame to match the rest of the revolver! They provided this service free of charge, and rather rapidly. They received the gun on November 20th, and it was back in my hands today. I don't believe my revolver is one of a kind as I know they've done all blue runs for distributors and also done this for others with a similar complaint, but it sure isn't common. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out, and now my favorite carry gun is even better :D.

Oh, and the small smudge on the frame is just a light coat of oil having a weird interaction with my crappy light set-up. I'd like to go outside and take a nicer photograph, but it's presently nighttime, and it's going to be horribly cold out for quite a while.

If you enjoyed reading about "My all blue Vaquero!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
December 11, 2008, 10:50 PM
Very nice. Looks great.

Yeah, some distributors specify blue because nickel finish automatically adds around $200 to the cost. I got a great deal from Davidson on my Mark III 22/45. Ruger only offered the Mark III Hunter in nickel plating. I did not want nickel because of the price and because the reflection is distracting. I did, however, want all the other features of the Hunter, including the fluted bull barrel and HiViz sights. Davidson had a version of the Mark III Hunter with a 4 1/2" fluted bull barrel and HiViz sights, blued. It saved me around $200, but gave me exactly the gun I wanted.

MikePGS
December 12, 2008, 12:21 AM
Very nice :D

Daizee
December 12, 2008, 01:12 AM
That looks real nice.

btw, Ruger made nickel-plated Mark-III's?? Arent' they just stainless?

-Daizee

ArchAngelCD
December 12, 2008, 01:31 AM
I like it, it's looks great.

This is why we should all buy from Ruger and S&W, because they stand behind their products 100%. (including shipping lol)

timothy75
December 14, 2008, 01:21 AM
Very nice, you probably already know but you cant fire all buffalo bore 45colt ammo in that gun.

WardenWolf
December 14, 2008, 01:31 AM
btw, Ruger made nickel-plated Mark-III's?? Arent' they just stainless?

Might have been. Was still $200 more. The two finishes looks similar, and frost stainless and nickel tend to reflect sunlight and produce this obnoxious dazzle effect that makes it hard to sight with a pistol.

BlkHawk73
December 14, 2008, 08:22 AM
First the "nickle" ones mentioned here were NOT nickle. They were stainless. Second if these stainless ones were indeed $200 more than the blued equivilant, you seriously need to find a different shop. Understand that distributors don't really specify these features on regualry cataloged model when ordering. They order what they have requests for and what they believe will move quickly. Many times the distributors will contract with Ruger (or other manufacturers) for variations that are not cataloged. Often it's a change of finish (blued v stainless) or a differnt grip/stock material.
Regardless, Going by Davidson's prices is not an accuarte picture of what these should cost. They are more than other distributors. Havingplayed this Ruger game for a long time, I've yet to see actual shelf prices have such a vast different simply becasue of the blued v stainless finish. Did a quicky search around the net and finding the comparable MKIII HUnters in both finsihes being about $25-$40 different in prices. $200 difference? Yeah, a new dealer is in order.

Ok, to the OP...very ncie! I know Ruger has done this n the past and yes, Davidson's had a few varaints done for them in the blued finish minus the CCH finish. I like 'em. They give a nice clean sleek look to the gun. Want to really make that revolver shine, get a nice set of grips on it.

SouthpawShootr
December 14, 2008, 09:02 AM
I had my Vaquero blued when the same thing happened. If that fake finish isn't durable, they need to dispense with it. Oh, BTW, my polished stainless was $10 more than my carbon steel Vaquero. From the same dealer.

If you enjoyed reading about "My all blue Vaquero!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!