Going to buy a P239 in .40 tonight... don't know much about this gun.

PDA

Macchina
December 12, 2008, 02:24 PM
I just got my bonus check, and I want to buy a gun! I can get a used (in great condition) Sig P239 in .40S&W for $500. I am looking for a new carry gun because my CZ 40B is a bit too big. I know people say the P239 in .40 wears out after 20,000 rounds, but I don't plan on putting more than a couple hundred through it each year. I can also get a used HK USP Compact for the same price. Is this a good price? Is the HK a better gun for carry? Recommendations and comments are welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Going to buy a P239 in .40 tonight... don't know much about this gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jason M
December 12, 2008, 02:37 PM
I own a SIG P226 in .40S&W and I love it. I have an extra barrel in .357SIG for it, too. SIG Sauer makes an excellent weapon and I don’t think you can go wrong with one.

I know people say the P239 in .40 wears out after 20,000 rounds, …

That statement is just ridiculous ignorance. 20,000 rounds will do a number on ANY semi-auto pistol. That is one round a second for 5.55 hours. There is no pistol on the planet that will go 20,000 rounds without a hiccup of some kind (at least it is unlikely).

Buy it, shoot it and enjoy it. Never compromise shooting practice to “preserve the looks of the gun.” That is just BS. It is made to be used and used hard. If kept clean and in proper working order it will shoot beyond 20,000 rounds with only minimal maintenance and parts replacement (extractor, recoil spring—stuff like that).

Shoot often!

Agent-J
December 12, 2008, 02:50 PM
I'm thinking about a P239 in 9mm, but I want to see just how it compares size wise to the .40 P229 i'm picking up in a few weeks.

TheDriver
December 12, 2008, 02:55 PM
I carry the 239 in .40. It is very slim, if a bit on the heavy side. Very accurate. Dead reliable. I find the USP to be blockier, and IMO the Sig has a better trigger. My only complaint is capacity, but you have to trade off capacity for slimness.

MarcusWendt
December 12, 2008, 03:05 PM
I've owned a Sig Sauer P239 .40 S&W for years now. I don't know how many rounds it has down the pipe, but I would say 8K is no exaggeration.

It's one of the most accurate guns I own. Awhile back I was dating a girl who wanted to try out USPSA Production. She wanted to use my Sig P226ST and the only other gun I had enough equipment for at the time was my Sig P239 in .40. Even then, I was short a mag holder.

I shot a match with my little P239 and did pretty well for someone newer to the sport. As well or better than other times with my P226ST. I was reloading from my back pocket on the last mag, and a lot of mag changes I did.

When I allow others to shoot the P239, they want one.

You will be a happy camper.

HKIWB
December 12, 2008, 04:06 PM
$500 is a decent price for a USP .40 Compact. Mine's great, and they can be easily configured into many different trigger, safety and decocker variations. They are somewhat blocky with an average trigger, but the grip is pretty slim and concealable. They are extremely durable, and the only thing you might have to replace at 20K rounds is the recoil spring and buffer assembly. Mines running strong with no malfunctions after 7K rounds.

My HK P30 has 12,000 rounds through it with very little wear. The recoil buffer still looks new, the tolerances are tight, and it shoots as well as it did on day 1.

KBintheSLC
December 12, 2008, 04:29 PM
I think the P239 is an excellent choice. I have one in 9mm... as for the wearing out part, I can't attest to that, but I have had mine for 7-8 years through many thousands of rounds (don't know how many to be exact, but close to 10K), and the innards still look excellent. The finish on the barrel and frame rails show some minor wear, but nothing that even remotely affects operation.
Also, the gun is painfully accurate and reliable. After thousands of rounds through it, I have not yet had a failure of any kind from my 239 with many different kinds of ammo. It is a top notch CCW piece.

Supertac45
December 12, 2008, 05:56 PM
Buy the Sig and don't look back.

Macchina
December 12, 2008, 07:57 PM
Got the Sig! I got a cheap Don Hume holster for it for $20, and it carries like a dream (I've been carrying a somewhat fullsize CZ 40B IWB until now). The used one was sold, so I got a new one for $625 because it had a tiny chip in the finish. I am very glad I made this purchase. The gun looks very well made and I can't wait to break it in. Coming from a machinist, I am very picky about metalwork, and the Sig looks great IMO.

P.S. The 20,000 round comment was meant as a negative, it was meant to deter anyone from telling me that. That comment is like telling me that a Ford will only drive 500,000 miles without routine service before parts need to be replaced.

Agent-J
December 12, 2008, 08:41 PM
you didn't have to wait 6 weeks to pick it up? lucky you.

i ordered a 229R Elite on Monday and I should have it around January 20'ish. :( (cheers goes out to NYS and the Obamarama backing up the coupon system.)

Marcus L.
December 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
Get some 180gr practice ammo and defensive loads and it will serve you well for a long, long time. The 180gr JHPs are the best performing .40S&W load, the heavier bullet weights perform better in shorter barrels, it doesn't beat up on the pistol as much, and it handles better.

BTW, the 20k round count on non 9mm P239s was an average determined by the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Georgia. They would know, they process several hundred Sigs a year for maintenance and repair. So, some lasted 10k, some lasted 30-40k....it's an average. I can tell you that those agencies that like to use high recoiling 155gr loads like the ICE did not have as long of a service life on their Sigs as agencies like the DOI that use mostly 180gr. Shoot 180gr standard velocity loads and your looking at a high round count pistol and you'll likely never have to worry about you pistol dying on you.

However, you should always replace the recoil spring on your Sig every 5k rounds or every 6 years.....which ever comes first.

Macchina
December 12, 2008, 09:37 PM
In Michigan, with your CPL permit, it takes about 20 minutes of paper work, and you're out the door. I have to go to the Police department in the next couple of weeks to get it "safety checked", but that rule is going away soon.

Agent-J
December 12, 2008, 09:42 PM
In Michigan, with your CPL permit, it takes about 20 minutes of paper work, and you're out the door. I have to go to the Police department in the next couple of weeks to get it "safety checked", but that rule is going away soon.

well isn't that just F*%&ing ducky...

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Going to buy a P239 in .40 tonight... don't know much about this gun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!