Should I keep my 1911?

PDA

atrain08
December 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
I'm having to decide whether I want to keep my springfield 1911 mil-spec and upgrade it or trade it in on something else. I like the gun but there is a few things I dislike about it. One is the tiny mil-spec sights, they are so small I can't shoot this thing accurately for very long. My first 10 shots or so is fairly tight but then my eyes get tired. Another thing is the cost of 45 ammo, the cost really hurts. The thing I'm battling with is that I can't find a gun out there that I like the feel of as much as the 1911's. I have $550.00 in this gun as it is. What would you all do, keep it? Trade it in on what? The 1911 is my only full size pistol and it is my range/night stand gun, I have a Taurus Millennium pro 9mm which is my at work/traveling gun. I would most likely trade the 1911 in on a 9mm. I like the CZ75B SA and sp-01, I also like the Sig p226 or p220. Maybe I should start a new thread debating which new handgun I should get and list exactly what I'm looking for? Thanks guys

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff177/mx400/My%20guns/1911.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I keep my 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zx12rider
December 12, 2008, 05:32 PM
Keep it and install novaks or another good quality site. In addition I would get a .22 plinker or quality 9mm shooter to save on ammo. Maybe a Buckmark and Smith M&P 9 with thumb safety to keep with the 1911 design. Funny how I can constitute owning multiple guns........ :) when you are finished buying these two, let me know I can suggest 70-80 other must haves.....

Macmac
December 12, 2008, 05:33 PM
What job was this bought for?

What other gun would you buy if you sold this one?

Is this the only 1911 1A you have now?

Boba Fett
December 12, 2008, 05:41 PM
I think I would probably keep it, but I haven't voted yet because there are some options you may want to consider.

First, if you don't like things about it (trigger, sights, grips, etc.) these can often be changed fairly easily and without too much added cost. I don't know how the mil-spec sights are setup, but do some research or take it to a gun smith or ask Springfield if you can change the sights.

As far as guns with good feel, I personally love the feel of the full size Baby Desert Eagle from IMI/Magnum Research (in any caliber).

An extremely close second in terms of feel is the SIG line of pistols. And of course the quality of Sig is just superb. Check out the P220 and P250. Especially the P250 (http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=54&productid=183). With the P250, if you don't like the cost of shooting 45 all day, then you can swap out the barrel. In fact, you can shoot 9mm, 357Sig, 40S&W, and 45 ACP all from the same gun. MSRP is $700 which means you should be able to find it $100-150 cheaper at shows or online.

atrain08
December 12, 2008, 05:43 PM
The 1911 is my only full size pistol and it is my range/night stand gun, I have a Taurus Millennium pro 9mm which is my at work/traveling gun. I would most likely trade the 1911 in on a 9mm. I like the CZ75B SA and sp-01, I also like the Sig p226. Maybe I should start a new thread debating which new handgun I should get and list exactly what I'm looking for?

f4t9r
December 12, 2008, 05:48 PM
Sig and CZ are very nice, I would keep the 1911 and save up to get one or both of the others

trbon8r
December 12, 2008, 05:54 PM
If you like the SA I would keep it, and install some sights of your liking. Then invest in some reloading gear. All will be well then. I can reload .45 ACP all day long using cast 200 gr. semi-wadcutter bullets for around 5 to 6 bucks for a box of 50.

For me reloading used to only be a cost saving measure, but with ammo prices being what they are today, reloading is mandatory.

I've owned Glocks, and shot my share of Sigs. While Glock and Sig make a good gun, I wouldn't trade a 1911 for a truck load of Sigs or Glocks.

atrain08
December 12, 2008, 06:04 PM
Wow, $5-6 per box! Could you give me some info about your reloading equipment?

schmeky
December 12, 2008, 06:05 PM
What trbon8r said;

Keep it, buy a Dillon Square Deal, or some other good progressive reloader, you can load a .45 down to where it's milder than a 9mm, much milder. You can load .45's for less than .10 cents a round, which means you can shoot lots more and get proficient with that 1911.

A .22 conversion kit is around $200.00, suddenly you now have 2 guns.

Your 1911 is a base for anything from mild to wild. You have more choices for sights for a 1911 than all other guns combined.

Trust me, if you like the feel of the 1911, you'll be back, kicking yourself for letting this one go. Sigs are great, Glocks are great, CZ's are great, but 1911's are awesome.

indoorsoccerfrea
December 12, 2008, 06:08 PM
there isn't an option "sell it to me"...

in the absence of that option, I say keep it.

david_the_greek
December 12, 2008, 06:37 PM
well, one thing to consider is the addition of a .22 adapter kit. This will allow for much cheaper plinking. I wouldn't sell it simply due to the fact that I know I would miss it in the future. The 1911 is something everyone should have. Its such a nice shooting gun that I would hate to not have it in the rotation. An adapter and a sight job should solve you problem, which would be much less painful than selling a well loved firearm

Frog48
December 12, 2008, 07:23 PM
Keep it. If sights are a problem, mail the slide to Novak and let them cut dovetails and install some of their sights.

atrain08
December 12, 2008, 07:25 PM
Ok guys you all talked me into it, I will keep it. Should I start another thread getting some info about setting up my 1911 to my liking or using this one? I'm new to this forum and I don't want to tick off any moderators with multiple many threads.

ConstantineJ9
December 12, 2008, 07:28 PM
You'll regret getting rid of it later on, I know I regret getting rid of my Kimber and Llama.

CoRoMo
December 12, 2008, 07:36 PM
I'll trade you for my C9!:evil:

Keep that jewel forever, or regret selling it forever.

Eightball
December 12, 2008, 08:39 PM
My advice? Get the parts you don't like customized, you'll like it better and have a "customized" 1911 that you'll cherish.

Or, alternatively, SIG's are awesome.

JHansenAK47
December 12, 2008, 08:41 PM
The goal is to have more guns not less.

atrain08
December 12, 2008, 09:29 PM
What would you all think of trading it in on a higher quality 1911 that comes with novak sights? I was checking the cost of sights and it looks like I will be spending $180 on just sights. Considering I already have $550 in the gun, that means I would have $730 in it. After looking at the cost I really want to trade it in on a sig p220 and then buy a 1911 that already has the sights I want, probably a kimber.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
December 12, 2008, 09:50 PM
Sold my last 1911 (Gold Cup series 80) last February. Am itching for another one:(

If that were my Springfield, I'd keep it and correct whatever deficiencies it may have. You'll be ahead in the long run, and never have to regret selling a good gun.

Kryzen
December 12, 2008, 09:52 PM
Keep The 1911,Change The Sights For Some Better.Sell It or Trade In If You Have Other 1911,At Least Keep One.

steveracer
December 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
Not having a 1911 is like not having shoes. You can still get around, but it sucks.
Steve

ConstantineJ9
December 12, 2008, 10:27 PM
exactly steveracer

robctwo
December 12, 2008, 10:40 PM
I bought the Hornady LnL a few years ago. I shoot 155 gr SWC for about $10 per 100. 200 gr SWC for under $12 per 100.

I bought a Ciener Platinum .22 conversion for my SA Black Sainless. I have some other .45s so don't use the SA in .45 much any more.

I recently bought a 9mm 1911 and love it. Mine is a Baer, and a bit spendy, but there are 9mm 1911 out there for around $1,000.

I also have a CZ75BD in 9mm with the .22 Kadet Kit. Very nice combo.

If you plan on really shooting much over the next 10-20 years you need to get into reloading. I save so much on ammo that all my guns are free.

schmeky
December 12, 2008, 11:23 PM
I save so much on ammo that all my guns are free.

Dang, I shoulda' come with that line. I totally agree.

dogngun
December 13, 2008, 09:25 AM
The only large caliber autos I have any more are 2 1911's. Botu have Novaks.
I'm 61 and my eyes are not what they once were. I have had and liked a whold bunch of 9mm DA autos, but when I go older I went back to the 1911 and sold everything else except for a couple of small caliber autos.

I'd save up a few bucks and see what you like when you have the money.

mark

76shuvlinoff
December 13, 2008, 09:32 AM
I take in strays all the time.....

JImbothefiveth
December 13, 2008, 09:36 AM
I don't know if you want to get a new gun or just a conversion kit for your 1911, but .22 is the best plinker round.

If you get a kit, get one with a last shot hold-open, so you don't break the firing pin.

Wow, $5-6 per box!
.22 is $3 a box, $15 a brick for the cheap stuff.

You can load .45's for less than .10 cents a round,
You can get good quality .22s for less than that price.

Deanimator
December 13, 2008, 09:55 AM
You're not going to be able to afford ANY centerfire for long if you don't reload.

I started reloading in college in the '70s. I buy lots of powder, primers, bullets, and when I need them, cases, which I reuse. I simply couldn't afford to shoot centerfire handguns regularly if I didn't reload. And that was before prices went insane.

monkyboy1975
December 13, 2008, 10:05 AM
You can always change the sights and take up reloading. that little press from Lee cost about 25.00 plus dies are not that bad. I've been thinking about getting back into reloading myself due to the cost of ammo. (.40 isnt very cheap either)

Oro
December 13, 2008, 10:31 AM
If you really like target shooting your 1911, consider trading it towards one that has Bo-Mar style sights. They are really the benchmark for 1911 accuracy use, and make it much more fun at the range. They are also low-mount and don't inhibit self-defense or carry use.

The Novacks and others, while giving a nice sharp picture, are not adjustable like a Bo-Mar style sight so will print differently with various loads and ranges. Consider selling your gun via Gun Broker, THR or locally, then finding the right bo-mar equipped gun when it comes along. Or, if your gun suits you otherwise, and it is capable of acceptable accuracy when benchmarked, consider having the sight cut done and sights installed by a good local gunsmith.

As to ammo costs, like has been said, reload. It's fun, too.

You always need a 1911. Preferrably at least four!

westpoint64
December 13, 2008, 10:32 AM
I think you've made a wise decision to keep the Springfield 1911. Try to find night sights for the gun if it's ever going to be a protection piece. Criminals more likely than not are going to attack at darker times of the day/night.
Boba Fett: I just found out yesterday that yes, the barrel on the Sig P250 will interchange on 9mm, .40, and .357 Sig. However, the Sig P250 in .45 is going to require a wider platform and will not interchange with the other 3 calibers. Still, that's a lot of versatility- 3 guns in one, pretty much.

skoro
December 13, 2008, 11:47 AM
That's a really nice looking 1911, and you say you're pretty happy with it except for the sights. You'd be way ahead just getting some decent sights installed by a gunsmith, moneywise. As for ammo, .45 is pricey, but it's also about the best handgun caliber there is. Even then, it's less expensive than some others. Get a bunch of WWB harball at WalMart and you're good to go.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 13, 2008, 11:52 AM
Keep it and install novaks or another good quality site. In addition I would get a .22 plinker or quality 9mm shooter to save on ammo.

Bingo!

The man was actually asking if he should part with a 1911 that works; tsk, tsk. :) :p

I sold 2 Kimbers and a Wilson in various money crunches in the past, and regretted all 3, particularly the Wilson.

Macmac
December 13, 2008, 08:02 PM
I was poster # 3...

I have a real Remington Rand which is a Colt clone of your colt clone, only mine is a lot older. WW-2 Vintage.

I also have a Kimber CDP Pro II probably with the very same Novak night sites you are looking at since that is a good part of the much more money a Kimber costs.

Well the Kimber is a tad fussy about what it eats, which is pretty much either ball (copper clad round nose slugs, or flyin ashtrays, which are reloads really with that style of hollow point)

Now that old battle vetran gun will shoot anything, and I mean anything. It will feed flat nose full blown wad cutters, semi wad cutters too which are tapered at least..

The gun you have is one you will regret selling as it is a high quailty base that works as is, and is the platform all the so called custom guns, which one were real custom guns have become as Les Baer, Wilson, and Kimber which isn't really custom at all. Kimber is a sort of low end custom more factory regular than a real custom, and as such tends to have issues.. Mine did.

Now because it had issue there is always that thinking in the back if my mind..

Since the Rand never did, it is the first one I will pick up on a bad day...

These guys are telling it straight.. Send the slide to Novak, and get the sites... The when you have more if you want get a better trigger for targets, then maybe tighten the rails and get a new barrel. It is still possible to build a gun and better than what Kimber pumps out the door all screwed up.

Wilson makes great parts and will sell them to anyone. You can add improvement after improvement to about 4 grand and still not be out...

If you did that very thing you would end up with a gun that does one job well and not many other jobs well at all. As it is now it will do any job you ask it to, just not as well in a special job..

Good target guns make for lousey self defence guns.

RSY
December 13, 2008, 08:53 PM
Like others have said, get new sights and a .22 conversion kit (I'd get the Kimber kit). Finally, some Crimson Trace grips, and I'd be done (except for a tactical ambi safety, since I'm a lefty).

Scott

hank327
December 13, 2008, 09:09 PM
Keep it and send the slide to Novak's for the sights. It sounds like you like the pistol as is except for the sights and the price of ammunition so I'm assuming it functions reliably. If you sell it, you will regret it. I sold a Colt Government Model Series 70 over twenty years ago in a moment of temporary insanity. I regret that action to this very day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I keep my 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!