is this a legal gun sale?

PDA

Hans1944
December 12, 2008, 10:38 PM
i live in michigan and i have a friend who wants to buy my old cetme rifle can i just sell it to him. or do i have to go through a lengthy process like when purchasing a pistol through a private sale?

Hans

If you enjoyed reading about "is this a legal gun sale?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mio
December 12, 2008, 10:43 PM
you can just sell it to him as long as he doesnt have any felonies and you dont suspect he will use it for a crime

he needs no permit to buy a rifle

kingpin008
December 13, 2008, 01:19 AM
Uh, let's not forget that the friend also needs to be a resident of Michigan - if he's not, then the sale is illegal no matter what his criminal status is.

ants
December 13, 2008, 02:15 AM
Better look up the Michigan state laws, too.
The ATF info offered by Johnny Dollar and Kingpin are federal laws.
State laws may also apply.

Frog48
December 13, 2008, 02:38 PM
or do i have to go through a lengthy process like when purchasing a pistol through a private sale?

What lengthy process? Does Michigan require paperwork and/or transfer through an FFL? In most states, private intrastate sales of handguns are no different than long guns.

Mongoose
December 13, 2008, 03:12 PM
Unfortunately yes. Unlike long guns, handguns require a permit to purchase every time they change hands.

mio
December 13, 2008, 03:32 PM
and unfortunatly grant48 they make it more of a pain in the butt as they go at least where i live

it used to be i could walk into the sheriff dept at any hour of the day/night that they werent busy take the 5 min gun safty quiz while they ran a quick background check and walk out with a handgun purchase permit. course then id have to take anything i bought back in for a "safty inspection" thinly disguised registration law

i hadnt bought a handgun in 10yrs before last spring when i traded my pool cue for one. i stopped in after work adn they told me i could only get a purchase permit from 8-4 mon-fri so i waited the weekend changed my hours at work to get out 2hrs early and they didnt get the background check done in that time!!! then told me that since the sherriff went home already they couldnt give me the permit.

i left my work number for him and he called right at the end of the next day to tell me i could pick up my permit and also said he didnt know why they wouldnt give me one because it stated right on there that there were no disqualifications.

month later i was going to go to a gun show stop in during the week and get the whole line about 8-4 again and of course we were too busy for me to be able to switch hours at work so i wasnt able to get a permit.

do they only want proffessional criminals, the unemployed, and retirees to own guns or what? its been months and im still mad over it.

and to make things worse some depts actually charge you for it now. my dad has to pay $5 every time he gets a permit!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "is this a legal gun sale?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!