Review of Tech-Sights for Ruger 10/22

PDA

General Geoff
December 14, 2008, 11:50 PM
I ordered, received and installed a set of TSR200 Tech-Sights onto my recently acquired 10/22 carbine. I've finally taken the rifle to the range, and I must say the sights are superb. This was my setup at the range: 10/22, three Butler Creek "Steel Lips" 10 round magazines (don't want the 25 round banana mags because they get in the way during prone shooting), and an almost-full box of Remington .22lr that I had to get rid of (since I usually use federal; the Remington stuff came with the rifle when I bought it from a friend).

http://www.shadowflareindustries.com/images/12-14-08/DSCF5902.JPG

Yours truly, looking all matrix-y with my black leather trench coat (it was cold out, what can I say?).

http://www.shadowflareindustries.com/images/12-14-08/DSCF5917.JPG

Anyway, the tech-sights are a VAST improvement over stock. See the target results:

http://www.shadowflareindustries.com/images/12-14-08/DSCF5914.JPG

Distance was mostly ~30 yards, though I did back way up for the bottom middle plate (50 yards) to see what difference it might make. All left column plates were taken while standing, middle column was sitting position, and right column was prone. The left (standing) column was one 10 round group on each plate; the middle and right columns were 30 round groups with two magazine changes per plate (three mags emptied on each target). I could have done 5 rounds only on each plate and had probably 2-3" groups, but I think the high round count and reloading mid-group tend to make the results more real-life relevant. For what it's worth, each 30 round group was done in ~30 seconds or less, including magazine swaps. This is why I got the steel lips single stack mags instead of using a bunch of OEM Ruger magazines; because the flush Ruger mag takes forever to get out of the damn rifle. The steel lips magazines (on top of being transparent and allowing a quick count of remaining rounds) stick out the bottom of the rifle just a couple of inches, enough to grab onto with your hand and yank it out while you push in the magazine release button (but not long enough to impede prone shooting). This greatly enhances reloading speed.

The sights facilitated more precise and more consistent aiming; the rear aperture really helps with just letting the rear sight blur out while focusing on the front post. I found that the aperture was big enough to allow quick target acquisition, but small enough for precision aiming. For anyone who's ever used aperture sights vs open, you already know how much better they really are.

The verdict is, I recommend that anyone with a 10/22 who doesn't want a telescopic sight, get a set of Tech-Sights. You will not be disappointed. Anyone with questions, comments, please feel free to share.

If you enjoyed reading about "Review of Tech-Sights for Ruger 10/22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ramis
December 15, 2008, 01:31 AM
Nice shooting. I have tech-sights on my ruger 10/22 too. Way better then the stock sights.

An extended mag release makes mag changes even easier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=662086

Candiru
December 15, 2008, 11:07 AM
I also have a 10/22 equipeed with Tech Sights. They're a real boon for anyone who wants to practice marksmanship fundamentals that apply to rifles shooting larger, more expensive calibers (e.g. ARs, M1s, or M1As).

cbm1948
December 15, 2008, 11:38 AM
I have a set of Tech-Sights that I have installed on an SKS, I have not had the opportunity to get to the range with it. But with my 60 year old eyes it has to be and improvement over the open. I will post a report when available.

R.W.Dale
December 15, 2008, 02:35 PM
I so wish they made these for marlin leverguns

Limeyfellow
December 15, 2008, 05:15 PM
They do have them for the Marlin 60 and 795 which I may pick one up for my old Marlin 60. I just work much better with peep sights. Maybe if you ask them they get around to bringing them out for a lever action Marlin. I love the tech-sight ts200 on my SKS and I am glad to hear how well it does on the 10/22.

FMJMIKE
December 15, 2008, 09:48 PM
Nice report........Thanks.........:D

chris in va
December 16, 2008, 04:42 AM
I can't wait to see them on an AK platform.

CZguy
December 16, 2008, 05:50 AM
I like the look of these sights.

Can anyone provide a link?

C-grunt
December 16, 2008, 06:00 AM
How much do they cost and how is the install?

LKB3rd
December 16, 2008, 07:41 AM
http://www.tech-sights.com/
$55 bucks for a set with the simple rear sight with two elevation pre-sets. $69 for the model with fully adjustable elevation.

General Geoff
December 16, 2008, 01:30 PM
The install was easy for the rear portion, just affix to the receiver with the provided screws, into the scope mount holes that are pre-drilled into the receiver.

The front post was a bit of a bear, but I didn't have a proper vice for the job. Would have made it far easier. Otherwise, you just need a hammer and brass punch, and a little patience. Also, don't forget to apply loctite to the lockdown screw for the front post, and the mounting screws for the rear. It's cheap insurance for making sure your sights never rattle loose.

If you enjoyed reading about "Review of Tech-Sights for Ruger 10/22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!