Dead thread treatment suggestion

PDA

Oro
December 15, 2008, 06:28 AM
The recent increase in the number of long-dead threads popping up makes me suggest doing what some other forums do -

1) creating a pop-up to make a poster acknowledge they are opening a long-dead thread, or
2) just locking them after 3/6/9 months of inactivity.

Most responses aren't germane to the original discussion (the commenters are usually long gone and not looking), and could best be served by opening a new thread if the poster has something unanswered to ask.

I've seen this done on other forums and it works well. Simply locking them after a few months seems the most effective, can be easily automated via code and not require moderator time, and doesn't prejudice anyone from starting a new thread.

PS - I'm not a "new" member, I have been here since fall of '04. I've just changed my user ID to anonymize my comments - my prior one was to revealing with my name and location.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dead thread treatment suggestion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDoe
December 15, 2008, 11:11 AM
You have a reasonable suggestion and I'm not criticizing it but want to point out that when new or even old members start a new thread they are sometimes met with criticism for not using the search function.

It seems there is no way to satisfy everyone. Post to an old thread and some members will criticize. Start a new thread and some members will criticize.

In my opinion no changes are necessary and only increase workload for admin. Those that want to read and respond to either kind of post are free to do so and perhaps in the land of the free that should be encouraged. :)

Oro
January 12, 2009, 05:47 AM
It seems there is no way to satisfy everyone. Post to an old thread and some members will criticize. Start a new thread and some members will criticize.

Well, only if locked threads are banned from "search" - which is easy enough to control (don't block them!).

I was reminded of this today because a member started a thread on a six-month dead thread, with useful buying info. Unfortunately, no one read his post, just the first one, then proceeded to ignore his useful post.

I think killing posts after a few months (or even less) of inactivity would really help efficiency. New posts/information comes to the top, and for those who are bright enough to "search," nothing is lost.

JImbothefiveth
January 12, 2009, 05:05 PM
I don't think it's a good idea. I know I've been saved from starting a new thread before.

Art Eatman
January 13, 2009, 06:45 PM
To do that closing "by hand" would eat up time. Need a day-stretcher. And if it is do-able via software, that's outside my MOS. :)

Oro
January 14, 2009, 06:30 AM
To do that closing "by hand" would eat up time. Need a day-stretcher. And if it is do-able via software, that's outside my MOS.

I agree, "by hand" would be highly time consuming and not worth it. But if you would be interested in someone writing the software, we could do it (we have the technology in our house). If you are interested and would like some volunteer software engineering, we'd be able to help I believe.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dead thread treatment suggestion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!