Gun laws in Germany??

PDA

LIQUID SNAKE
December 15, 2008, 08:50 AM
I have asked about the gun laws in Germany about a dozen times on other sites and am always completely ignored. I have been researching Germany as a retirement country for several years now and am no closer now than when I started. Can anyone here help me with some detailed and preferably serious and official information about the gun laws of Germany???? I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun laws in Germany??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
December 15, 2008, 08:58 AM
I think I'd go down to
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5155862#post5155862
and send an email or pm to the O.P. in that thread. He lives in Hamburg.

Where are you now and why do you want to pick a different country to retire to?

LIQUID SNAKE
December 15, 2008, 09:37 AM
I'm in Nevada and I want move to Germany for the woman. Also it is a fall back point in case Gun ownership in this country is totally outlawed.

Pulse
December 15, 2008, 09:40 AM
since i only live about 1 hours drive away from the German Border and will try to give you a answare.

basicly, most things are restricted to licence holders and get a licence you have to join a sportclub.
once you have the licence and can request to buy a firearm and the "Amt" (municipal office?) can either agree or disagree with it.
however, if the Amt allows you to buy it, you can have preaty mutch anything you want.
naturaly it will be very hard to get clearance for F/A weapons or a submachinegun, but they are not outlawed by definition IIRC.

this also includes reloading, powders are also licence only.

also, you might want to consider that firearms in General are extreamly expensiv in most parts of europe, a Saber Defense AR15 goes for 2500USD and more, Glocks are ~800USD and a factory new SIG product for less then ~1000 is a outright steal.

hope i could help.

am i allowed to post a link to a german site? there is a guy that could answare you better then i could?

(might want to consider switzerland, we are nice too. :P)

SRT1
December 15, 2008, 09:44 AM
Maybe Pulse can clarify this, but I lived in Germany for 3 years ('91 -'94), and while I was there, the people who owned pistols had to store the weapons at the sporting club they were a member of and sign them out for use then return them. I can't remember if that applied to rifles or not. Of course, that was 14 years ago, so I would defer to any updated infor that Pulse had since he's so close.
Good luck!
Sarge

LIQUID SNAKE
December 15, 2008, 09:53 AM
I've though about moving to Switzerland as well. As it stands now I like your country the most on this subject. What are the gun laws and woman like out their??

mbt2001
December 15, 2008, 10:29 AM
:scrutiny:

woman plural is women... Thanks for making us all look like cave men.

Pulse
December 15, 2008, 10:37 AM
Maybe Pulse can clarify this, but I lived in Germany for 3 years ('91 -'94), and while I was there, the people who owned pistols had to store the weapons at the sporting club they were a member of and sign them out for use then return them. I can't remember if that applied to rifles or not.

i am not sure about that.
i know for a fact that Hunters can store all there firearms at home and that long guns, i.e. Rifles and shotguns can also be stored at home by some people. maybe a special licence? the germans love there licences.

I've though about moving to Switzerland as well. As it stands now I like your country the most on this subject. What are the gun laws and woman like out their??

wikipedia has a good article on gun laws of switzerland:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland#Conditions_for_getting_a_Carrying_Permit

since a bit more then two weeks we have new gun laws because of the Schengen treaty, still need time to work my self in to them and we have to see how they work out.
if we dont like it, we will change it, after all we are a direct democracy.

we do however still not have funy laws like "no Short barrel Rifles" or "no machine guns"
women are nice here, not all but many.
we are close to both Italy and France .. ;)

LIQUID SNAKE
December 15, 2008, 10:41 AM
Perhaps I meant to spell it that way:evil:......

legaleagle_45
December 15, 2008, 11:39 AM
Can anyone here help me with some detailed and preferably serious and official information about the gun laws of Germany????

One of the amicus briefs in Heller did a survey of gun laws in foreign countries, including Germany.

http://supreme.lp.findlaw.com/supreme_court/briefs/07-290/07-290.mer.ami.resp.intlschols.pdf

The German law section begins on pg 20 of the pdf document.

Art Eatman
December 15, 2008, 12:06 PM
Pulse, always feel free to post helpful URLs.

My son lives in Bavaria, and he can't even take back a German-made schutzen .22 rifle because of their laws regarding imports. (Not without extreme hassle and red tape, anyway.)

Prince Yamato
December 15, 2008, 12:28 PM
So what I can infer from the Heller Brief is that European countries are actually more in line with us as far as self-defense goes and that the anti's argument that Europe is "gun-free" is actually a load of bull. Italy actually seems to be following our lead and though not listed, I recall that Romania was as well. So aside from CCW, Europe isn't all that bad. Hell, even Germany allows a 10 year grace period after having been released from prison... So D.C. wasn't just backward in terms of US standards, it was backward in terms of world standards. Now, back on topic... I think Austria and France are your best bets. I was looking at a potential move to Europe a month or two ago.

george29
December 15, 2008, 12:31 PM
Where do you get your information that Germany or anywhere in Europe is more gun friendly than Nevada? As for women, I would think plenty of European women descend upon Las Vegas like locusts on a corn patch. If the US outlaws the 2A, do you really think Europe will be opening their arms to accept gun owners?

Pulse
December 15, 2008, 12:31 PM
here is the link:
http://www.lima-wiederladetechnik.de/Englisch/English_Rifle_Articles.htm

if am sure if you send Lutz, the owner of the page, a mail he can help you.
or you can try reading the Articles he allready has, might be something there that can help you.

If the US outlaws the 2A, do you really think Europe will be opening their arms to accept gun owners?

i know that Switzerland allready did that with the Brits, after Guns where preaty mutch gone in the UK, they founded the "Brtish Alpine Rifles" club and moved most of there equipment here and now regulary host matches with other swiss clubs.

legaleagle_45
December 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
So what I can infer from the Heller Brief is that European countries are actually more in line with us as far as self-defense goes and that the anti's argument that Europe is "gun-free" is actually a load of bull.

With respect to gun laws, Europe is indeed more restrictive than most areas of the US. The purpose of that brief was to destroy the attempt by DC and those amicus briefs filed in support of DC to paint the DC ban as being the international norm. That assertion was a lie, but international norms are probably more in line with California law... certainly not a poster boy for the rkba...

HoosierQ
December 15, 2008, 12:53 PM
So now not only are people stocking up on everything...they're fixing to move out of the country? Get a grip people. Sorry to be such a wet blanket about this (and Zombies) but wow!

Move to Europe because the gun laws are going to be better than here? I don't think so. Somalia or Pakistan's tribal area maybe...no ban on full auto there you know...but Europe? Don't think so.

berrieberrie
December 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
To the OP, may I suggest you consider the Czech Republic as a retirement place ? One of the few (if only - not entirely sure) European countries where possession and use of full-auto is still allowed, and where your gun permit (for which you don't even need to be rich/famous/well-connected) doubles as a CCW-license... Oh, and the beer ain't bad, either.

Dodgeit
December 15, 2008, 02:13 PM
To answer the original posters ? regarding Germany. You must be a member in good standing for X (don't remember) amount of years in a shooting club, then you may be allowed to purchase a .22 handgun that must be stored on site. After another term of years as a member in good standing you may be allowed to purchase a large caliber handgun ( anything bigger than a .22) to be stored on site unless you can prove an extreme need to have one at home. I.E. Jewelry store onwer.

Hunting is only allowed by the hunter, that was given the right to care for that particular piece of land or a person that he/she invited. There are no places designated as public hunting areas in Germany. k
Keeping of long guns is as controled as handguns with the acception of the designated Hunter of a given area.

Things may have changed since my stay in Germany (6 years) but I don't
think it likely.

It takes allot of money to play this game in Europe.

Gunnerpalace
December 15, 2008, 02:41 PM
I see no one read the link legaleagle provided.

GRIZ22
December 16, 2008, 01:24 AM
The current "Handguns" magazine has an article relating German and austrian gun laws. IIRC Austria's gun laws seemed better than Germany. They related some fact that Austria has several more times carry permits than California in spite of having a much smaller population.

withdrawn34
December 16, 2008, 02:12 AM
Also, you should ask yourself as to your primary reasons for owning a firearm. It is exclusively for sport? If not (for example, self-defense at least in the home), you MUST find out what self-defense laws are where you are staying. If Germany is anything like the UK in that regard, then you should be aware of what you can and cannot do.

Frank Ettin
December 16, 2008, 02:29 AM
It would also be a good idea to check whether the same laws apply to resident aliens. I suspect that most European countries are less shyabout disparate treatment of resident aliens then we are. I must admit that I have no idea, but it could be an issue.

Orange_Magnum
December 16, 2008, 07:35 PM
Finland and Switzerland are probably the two most gun-friendly countries in Europe. Even there I don't think you may carry your gun on you while out in public though. Europeans are super-soft on criminals. If you pinch a criminal YOU will go to jail.

Why can't the woman move to Nevada? Moving to Europe will be a step to the left beyond the leftwing madness going on in Chicago and Washington DC. You will quickly become frustrated. Politicians are the elite in Europe whereas the businessmen (still) hold that position in the US. Think twice.

razorback2003
December 16, 2008, 09:41 PM
Taxes are pretty steep all across Europe compared to the USA and it is expensive to own land like many Americans do as in acres.

Audrey
December 16, 2008, 10:48 PM
Asking about moving to Europe on THR is not one of the wisest queries I have seen here. Check the expats forums for answers from people who have actually done it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun laws in Germany??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!