1 reason NOT to buy taurus

PDA

stalkingbear
December 15, 2008, 09:25 AM
I recently bought a taurus PT1911 with the heinie straight 8 nite sites and love it in all ways EXCEPT the sites. No,nothing is wrong with the nite sites,they work fine. My gripe began when discovering the gun shoots about 2" low at 15 yards with most standard pressure 230 gr loads. Most people wouldn't even notice or care about this but being an excompetition shooter,I'm a "freak" about my guns shooting EXACTLY to point of aim. After an agonizing morning on the phone with repeated calls to taurus,heinie,and brownells,and finally digging out my dial calipers,I was able to determine taurus makes their own sites under licensing agreement with heinie,and the dovetail slot is oddball size,larger than any other gun or site manufacturer makes. This means that at the present time,you CANNOT buy an adjustable rear sight for the taurus of any kind,nor are you able to redily adapt any other site to fit the taurus dovetail. To top it all off,taurus customer service/tech support got smart with me on the phone!!!!!!! :fire:I'll NEVER even THINK of buying another taurus product or reccomending them to anyone else.:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "1 reason NOT to buy taurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
makarovnik
December 15, 2008, 10:13 AM
Taurus customer service sucks. I own one revolver and it shoots way low and to the left. Their turnaround time is also horrible (several months).

Out of all my pistols I like my makarovs and Hi-Points best. Nary a problem with either. I wish Hi-Point would make a higher end gun that can be carried safely with a round in the chamber. I also wish they would make their .380 a little smaller.

Pooh on Taurus!

HGUNHNTR
December 15, 2008, 10:20 AM
Consistently low and left is a tell tale sign of a right handed shooter pulling their shot.

Just saying:)

The Lone Haranguer
December 15, 2008, 10:26 AM
Can a lower front sight be put on it? Or, are you using a "six-o'clock" point of aim on the target? "Fighting" handgun sights are usually regulated to shoot to exact point of aim, which would cover up a bullseye.

doglb
No offense guys, but I get kind of tired about all the negative comments about Taurus.

I own the PT1911 and could not be happier with its performance.
I know it may not be the "ultimate" 1911, but it works great for me!
Never had an issue!
Yes, I do agree that their CS is not the best-
Yes, I do agree that its hit and miss with their products-

But doesnt it ever get old, all the bashing?
I know everyone needs to vent and I understand that when you spend your hard earned cash on something you want it to work.

In my opinion every manufacturer produces "lemons", I just think if you know that a certain manufacturer has a bad rep or a bad product than stay away from it and buy something better.

I am not trying to piss anyone off, but being an ex-competition shooter, wouldnt you have known better than to pick up the PT1911?

I know alot of happy Taurus owners, and they couldnt be happier :D

Oro
Consistently low and left is a tell tale sign of a right handed shooter pulling their shot.

Yes, I agree, except he says he's an ex competition shooter, and he has a set of calipers at hand. Sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

Which makes me wonder why he bought Taurus to begin with. They are built in latin America to random standards. We all have known this for a long time. Why buy them if you are "in the know?"

doglb: you may own a fully functioning Taurus. Good on you. But because you own one doesn't mean they on average produce good guns. It takes a large sample of testing to show that. And Taurus doesn't fare well in that test from a broad spectrum of owners.

mljdeckard
I'm with hgunhntr here. Let's get a ransom rest and settle it.

For a 'competition shooter' and someone with such meticulously high standards, you've put your faith in a gun at the high range of the cheapest market. (Did the Taurus rep say something like that?)

stalkingbear
December 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
OK kiddies,since yall are jumping to all kinds of conclusions,I decided to test 1 just so I would KNOW EXACTLY what I'm talking about 1 way or the other,unlike some people,and to determine if it would be a good canidate from which to build custom. Using dead on hold,it consistantly hits directly low. How many people buy different products in order to know wether to reccomend them or not? Pretty sure it's not my shooting as I found this out by shooting from rested position AFTER shooting it 2 handed. Since after scanning catalogs,I've determined I'll have to mill out a front sight,slightly lower in height,and drill/fit the trititium into it.

Old Navy
December 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
As a disappointed EX taurus owner, here is my logic. If manufacturer X has a 3-5 % lemon rate and maufacturer Y, has a 15-20% lemon rate why on earth would I buy the less reliable gun to PROTECT MY LIFE? Those percentages are probably realistic for most guns compared to taurus. Remember the YUGO? There were some people who liked them too and would get mad if somebody bad mouthed them.
As far as "South American" guns being inferior, I'd bet very few Bersa owners would agree with that. Bersa's are incredibly accurate out of the box, have one of the best stock triggers on earth, are very reasonably priced and come with a lifetime warranty that their customers like. I have two of them and they are as accurate as my CZ's and more accurate than my Glocks or the XD(M) I had with the "match" barrel. Check out Bersa talk.

mbt2001
December 15, 2008, 12:37 PM
Doesn't the Taurus 1911 come with adjustable sights??

Clint C
December 15, 2008, 12:44 PM
I love my Taurus Tracker 970 in .22lr. I get a head shot on squirrels everytime.

As far as semi-fixed sights go if it shoots low you are to file down the front sight, if it shoots left or right move the rear sight right or left. Your owner manual will tell you this. Or at least the owner manual for my Ruger MKI told me this.

ecbaatz
December 15, 2008, 12:56 PM
Can you just file a little off the front sight to get the poa to equal the poi? that is what I did on my Kimber Eclipse Pro II. Worked great.
Eric

Oro
December 15, 2008, 01:00 PM
I decided to test 1

Well, there's the problem. You can't test "1" and think it creates a valid sample. I wouldn't comment on a gun until I've owned/shot five of them, and that's still a pretty invalid number for statistical purposes.

That's why forums are great, you can go ask people who have lots of experience before shooting one sample or taking a salesman's advice and then buying one blindly.

As far as "South American" guns being inferior, I'd bet very few Bersa owners would agree with that.

You are correct. What I meant to say was "Built in Brazil" to random standards. I know darn well that Argentines have been building dang nice handguns since the '20s (looking for a Sistema right now to round out a subset of my collection). I should not have tarred all of the countries with that brush. Let's amend my statement to say "Brazil." Mea Culpa.

hankdatank1362
December 15, 2008, 01:51 PM
Paint the white dots black (both front and back) and file down the front sight. Just pretend they're regular silhouette sights.

ETA: But you're right, you shouldn't have to.

HexHead
December 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
"You are correct. What I meant to say was "Built in Brazil" to random standards. I know darn well that Argentines have been building dang nice handguns since the '20s (looking for a Sistema right now to round out a subset of my collection). I should not have tarred all of the countries with that brush. Let's amend my statement to say "Brazil." Mea Culpa."

For that matter, most Springfield Armory 1911s are made in Brazil and I don't hear anyone saying they are junk.

MMCSRET
December 15, 2008, 02:38 PM
I am convinced, after reading all the Taurus bashing that the bashers have never had anything mechanical fail ever, anywhere in their entire lifetime. Never had a pilot light go out, never had a battery go dead before the warranty was up, never ran out of gas because the gage was miscalibrated, never had the electricity go out, a tornado wouldn't have the courage to touch down on their property, creek banks are always high enough to hold spring runoff. And most of all; have never missed a bullseye because of their own inability; good to have something else to blame isn't it?

greyling22
December 15, 2008, 03:04 PM
I looked for adjustable sights too. I figure somebody someday will make a set.
I also considered trying to jb weld an adjustable sight into the taurus notch. or partially filling the notch and then filing it out to a standard dovetail dimension. in the meantime I just shoot at a bigger target.

greyling22
December 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
I looked for adjustable sights too. I figure somebody someday will make a set.
I also considered trying to jb weld an adjustable sight into the taurus notch. or partially filling the notch and then filing it out to a standard dovetail dimension. in the meantime I just shoot at a bigger target.

oops, repost.

tbtrout
December 15, 2008, 10:16 PM
My only experience with Taurus is I am now fixing a friends PT99. The pin that holds the rear adjustable sight broke for the second time. He had it repaired a few years ago. I called Taurus last week to get another pin and the resonse I recieved without any hesitation was:

" we do not have any parts in stock, we are closing for a few weeks at the end of December. Call back in January."

After that phone call I will never buy a Taurus, because just in case I get the odd lemon. I can not trust them to fix it. I understand things break, human error etc... But I am all about the customer service How the problem is rectified will keep me as a customer.

moooose102
December 15, 2008, 11:29 PM
while taurus seems to make a decent enough gun, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE S-U-C-K-S!

i was told a week and a half to exchange magazines and a main recoil spring (warranty). it has been over a month and a half, and still no parts.
so i have a useless pile of parts sitting in my safe. i have placed several phone calls (some of which were supposed to be for the customer service manager which i think is just an empty voice mail box) with not one single return call.

everytime i actually stay on hold (forget) long enough to actually talk to a person, all i get is the run around.

other than driving all the way to florida with a big can of whoop-ass, i dont know what else to do.

go and buy a hi-point, or kel-tec, or anything other than a taurus.

because like anything else mechanical, at some time, it will break, and then you are going to be up the creek without a paddle.

as for the gun shooting low, yep, even off a rest. i have just compensated by alining the bottom of the front sight dot to the top of the rear sight.

if you have either a machinist freind, or a little money, have a dovetail adapter made. then you could buy a different set of sights.

they will never get any of my parts again. i will buy replacements. then, if they want to warranty me new ones, they can either credit me, or send me new ones which i will set aside until i need them. but i will not be in this position again.

if i had the money, i would just go and buy a different gun. and sell this if and when i ever get the parts back. but buying this pistol was a one time deal.

so, now taurus will get bad word of mouth (and internet) advertising for the next ??? long every chance i get.

freaking jerks!

Ben86
December 16, 2008, 12:03 AM
That sucks. You might have talked me out of buying one. This is one of several posts I've read about them not shooting to point of aim.

Sell it and get a smithy or something.

Steve C
December 16, 2008, 01:33 AM
Fixed sights are generally regulated for 25 yds not 15, so run that target out to 25 and see where it hits. 15 yds is baby distance for speed shooting combat games where +/- 2" isn't important. I have a couple Walther P1's that shoot low with the top of the sight held at the top of the notch. I just bring the base of the sight to the bottom of the notch with these guns and they shoot to point of aim. The shooter adapting to the hardware is much less expensive than adapting the hardware to the shooter.

jlh26oo
December 16, 2008, 02:07 AM
I'm a "freak" about my guns shooting EXACTLY to point of aim

Just an F.Y.I. but since different loads will have different P.O.I. given identical P.O.A., that will be difficult to acheive across all ammo using any fixed sights. Too bad about the odd-ball sized D.T.'s, but considering how you describe your needs, I would probably just sell it now and invest in something higher quality with adjustables, vs. spending money to modify the P.T.

At least prospective T.H.R. buyers now know the P.T.'s D.T.'s are not a standard size, so thanks for sharing S.B. It looks like that detail already saved someone from the same headache.

GRIZ22
December 16, 2008, 02:24 AM
My PT1911 shoots to POA with hardball at 25 yds and has been trobule free for about 2 years and several thousand rounds. I had to make a slight windage adjustment when I got it A friend of mine was shooting low with his new 1911 with a flat mainspring housing. Swapped it out for an arched housing and it was dead on. IIRC some people shooting low was one of the reasons they amde the 1911A! with the arched housing. There has been more than one fixed sight gun (S&W, Colt, etc) I had to make some sight adjustments with a file.

DAVIDSDIVAD
December 16, 2008, 02:46 AM
How dare they give you a gun that works perfectly well!

jakk280rem
December 16, 2008, 03:40 AM
At least prospective T.H.R. buyers now know the P.T.'s D.T.'s are not a standard size

agree. this is a point i've never seen in print any where else. it's just one more reason to add to the "dont buy a taurus" list. for all you happy tarus owners out there, i wish you well. i've picked up and fondled many, and shot a few, tauri, including the 1911. there was just something about them that was odd.

for instance, i was shopping for a small pocketable revolver for ccw use. was looking at a s&w 642. guy behind the counter said it was good pistol, but if i were looking to save some money, taurus made a simular gun, but with a hammer. he reached under the counter and placed it next to the smith. i picked it up and liked the feel, and the way it pointed. then i noticed the hammer had a casting line running down the middle of it that had been hastily touched up to break the flash. also the back of the trigger was rough with flash left over from the casting process. these are minor gripes that would not have interfered with the function of the gun, just an indicator of overall quality and care of assembly. i went with the 642 and couldn't be happier. perhaps one day i will pick up a taurus that makes me smile, but not yet.

SniperStraz
December 16, 2008, 03:44 AM
I'm a "freak" about my guns shooting EXACTLY to point of aim.
So why'd you get a Taurus? They make great carry guns but I wouldn't say they shoot EXACTLY to point of aim. Sounds like you need to spend a little more money in order to be truly happy with your gun.

moooose102
December 16, 2008, 06:31 AM
So why'd you get a Taurus? They make great carry guns but I wouldn't say they shoot EXACTLY to point of aim. Sounds like you need to spend a little more money in order to be truly happy with your gun.

um, i believe that he thought like many other people would think, that most guns will shoot at least pretty close to poa. and if it does not, you could correct it by adjusting the sights. (which can be adjusted, just not up and down). i didnt think i would have a problem with the sights either. but i do. but i have seen that for my gun (24/7 pro) {on taurusarmed.net} williams does have "fire sights" that will fit mine. one of these days, i will have to drive over to davison, and have a set installed.

JaxNovice
December 16, 2008, 06:36 AM
The number one problem with Taurus is that when you buy one there is about a 50% chance you just bought a complete POS. If you are one of the lucky who now owns said POS you have to deal with Taurus CS.

JaxNovice
December 16, 2008, 06:38 AM
They make great carry guns....

I would have to agree. They would make great guns to carry around. Stick it your pocket and carry it.. However if confronted with a life and death situation I would reach into my other pocket and pull a gun that I was reasonable sure would fire and cycle.

railroader
December 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
I use to have a 24/7 pro that shot low at 15 yards. Not alot but I like my guns to shoot to point of aim and I hardly ever shoot targets at 25 yards. I contacted Taurus to get either a shorter front sight or a taller rear. They told me they only make the one size that is on the gun. Other manufacturers have different height sights for adjustment but not Taurus. The gun gun ran well but with the sight issue I sold it. Mark

Bill54
December 16, 2008, 10:36 AM
Sounds to me, that you folks not hitting your point of aim should not be blamming Taurus,but maybe going back to the range.My son and I 3 Taurus 24/7s,plus Smith-Wesson M&Ps, AMT 1911s,with a little ajustment and 10.000 plus rounds downrange I hit point of aim!By the way both of us carry the Taurus every day as consealed carry because of their reliablity!

stalkingbear
December 16, 2008, 11:20 AM
After shooting for 40 years,I should know wether I'm holding the firearm properly. The facts are ,and when you have experience with more examples, you'll learn that with ANY mass produced firearm made with fixed sites, may or may not shoot exactly to point of aim. You'll find this out when you shoot more/different guns. Due to factory tolerances, it's impossible for EVERY firearm to shoot exactly where aimed-even different guns of exact same make/model/brand/caliber. So go shoot more guns with fixed sites then come back and we'll happily watch you eat crow.

MMCSRET
December 16, 2008, 02:11 PM
Stalkingbear: Well said, I do most of my shooting with fixed sight hand guns and even my adjustable sighted ones are set for 100 yard and I hold accordingly, Shooting is fun and finding a reason to shoot a particular gun more is self rewarding. This is like buying a scope, mounting it and 300 rounds later complaining that it was mounted wrong. Scopes and sights are manufactured by humans that have adjustable eyes, even my old eyes, looking thru tri-focals.

PO2Hammer
December 16, 2008, 02:13 PM
I know it's not the solution you're looking for, but I file down every set of Heinie's I own. I'm able to shoot accuratly out to 50 yards, and I expect my rounds to land where I'm aiming.

On my Glock 17L I had to remove .022" from the rear sight to get POI to match POA.

I've tried adjustable sights, but I keep going back to Heinie fixed sights.

hankdatank1362
December 16, 2008, 02:15 PM
I have a Taurus 24/7 9mm that shoots more accurately than any SIG, 1911, or any other gun I own or have owned. Maybe it just fits my hands that much better. It even saw a little duty as a carry gun for a while.

Never had a hitch with it, or any other Taurus gun.

But, I still carry a SIG, just in case it hasn't happened yet.

JR47
December 16, 2008, 02:38 PM
I own a Ruger KP90. When I bought it, it would literally hit the ground in front of a target at 35 yards. I COULD have joined the usual "it's POS" group, but didn't. I took a few minutes with a friend who watched me from the side. The sights on the Ruger are low-profile compared to some, and I was "looking over" them. As I adjusted for this phenomena, the POA/POI rapidly came together with 230 grain loads.

I also own 13 Taurus handguns. Some for approaching 30 years, and have never had any trouble with them. My experience with Taurus CS came about when, after shooting an older Model 85CH loose with a steady diet of +P and +P+ ammo, I sent it in for work. It took six weeks, and I received a rebuilt, and re-blued, Model 85 CH back, for free. As these older guns weren't rated for +P, I felt that this was remarkable service.

In comparison, I've had a Sig P229 crack it's slide in less than 100 rounds. An HK USP that patterned instead of grouped, requiring a new barrel. A S&W Model 625-3 that failed on the first shot (hand broke in two). A Colt SS Government Model 80 Mk. IV that came from the factory with an over-sized rear sight dove-tail. Lastly, I had a new Model 669 S&W disassemble it's safety while shooting.

I check each gun for function, cosmetics, and missing parts and pieces before leaving the shop. Once home, they are all cleaned, inspected internally from a field-strip condition, lubed, and then fired.

For me, Taurus has performed at a rate far above that of much more expensive brands, for decades.

Before quoting statistics that don't exist reflecting failure rates, get some proof.

Other manufacturers have different height sights for adjustment but not Taurus.

Really? I know that Sig does, but I can't seem to find many other FACTORY sights offered. Name some? Then, are they Model specific. like with Ruger? Limited to only a couple of models, usually revolvers?

FYI, the AVERAGE turn-around for the repairs made was SIX weeks.

Really, Taurus is now offering Novak sights on it's PT1911, or are we all in an information vacuum? So many of us just KNOW what's "true" that we can't be bothered with facts.

One of the biggest complaints ALL manufacturers receive is that "the gun isn't accurate". Looking at this, all I can say is "how about that?"

sniper7369
December 16, 2008, 04:10 PM
Interesting. I have a PT1911 and a PT92 that are fine guns. I did have a 24/7 that just sucked. With all my other pistols I can shred the Bullseye out of a target at 25 yards, that 24/7 was like shooting a damn shotgun. Just to make sure it wasn't just me I had a few other people try it as well, they had the same issue.
At any rate I didn't want to mess with it so I just swapped it out for a TZ-75. :D
The only thing I really dislike about the pT1911 are those damn Heinie sights, for me they're just not as easy to aim with. I haven't looked into new sights for it yet, but I'm really not going to be thrilled if I'm stuck with those Heinie's that it came with. :fire:

tblt
December 16, 2008, 05:12 PM
I have one taurus mod. 85 but I won't buy another because the quality is just not there in a taurus

gym
December 16, 2008, 11:53 PM
I have had a hundred handguns in my 35+ years of carrying handguns. I never had two that fired the exact way. They all feel a little different, and maybe the problem is having a lot of guns tends to make the owner compare one to the other, kind of like cars. They all serve the same basic purpose, but each one is unique in the way it performs, feels, etc. Years ago, in NYC, we only were allowed 1 and then 2, so you made sure that you were darn sure what you liked the best, because you were going to be stuck with that sucker for years. Only main thing I was interested in, was that it went bang when I pulled the trigger. If I had two misfires, or jams, I sold that gun right away, it was much safer carrying a detective special or cheifs special, than my waltherppks, that shot nice groups but jammed twice in one year,for me thats the curse. I don't mind being an inch off one way or the other. as long as it fires most of the time gunfights are within 10 feet, and are over in 3-6 seconds, now for target shooting, that's when I would be more concerned with that pinpoint accuracy. So it kind of needs to be seperated into 2 groups, target and protection. I carry a titanium and scandium taurus 12 oz revolver, that fires plus p's, and is ported, I trust my life to that gun when I go to dress up affairs. You really carry for emergency as a defensive weapon, I would rather have a 1911 or a glock 30 on me, but 4 or 5 hours with a suit on in the heat will make you re think that.

ljnowell
December 17, 2008, 12:50 AM
go and buy a hi-point, or kel-tec, or anything other than a taurus.

that takes the cake for the dumbest thing I have seen posted today.

John Wayne
December 17, 2008, 01:01 AM
I own two Taurus handguns.

The first, a PT-140 Millenium Pro, has been 100% for 700 rounds. It's half the price of the competition, has better ergonomics (for me), better sights (metal Straight-8 vs. plastic "field goal" type), second-strike capability, mirror polished feed ramp, well-supported chamber, and a manual safety.

This pistol will put 5 shots touching at 15 yards (from a sub-compact auto with a 3.3" barrel). It shot dead-on right out of the box, with no adjustment needed.

My second, based on experience with the first, was a model 94 .22LR. It's a neat little 9-shot gun with 4" bbl. and good ergonomics. DA trigger is horrible. SA trigger is crisp, but the hammer is small and hard to cock. Out of the box, it would hang up on one chamber out of the cylinder every time (only with ammo present, I didn't buy it without checking for cylinder function in the store if that's what you're thinking).

Took it back to the store I bought it from and had them send it to Taurus. 29 days later, I got the gun back. It has a lot of play in the cylinder but functions normally. The best grouping I have attained with this group is about 3" at 15 yards. The gun shoots a little to the right but comes with adjustable target sights. It's a decent beginner gun but I probably won't be keeping it; it's kind of hard to hit a squirrel when your best group is twice the size of its head.

Overall, I would reccomend Taurus autos based on my experience, and that of others at the range. I think they offer a great value and have some great feature (I especially like the grips on the 24/7). There are better guns out there, but not in the same price range.

As for the OP, if you wanted match-grade results, why did you buy a "bargain" gun in the first place?

jpwilly
December 17, 2008, 01:26 AM
My PT1911 has been flawless and I like the sights...

skwab
December 17, 2008, 04:10 PM
I think it's funny those who get so defensive when someone has a problem with a particular manufacturer - mine is fine so it can't be your gun it has to be you!

I had a 24/7 compact that I absolutely loved - no failures, loved the grip and the trigger pull, the size was great - but darn think couldn't shoot straight. Even at seven yards - you take your time, set up your shot, aim dead center, pull the trigger and.....where did it go? nowhere near where I aimed it. It was my first compact so I thought it was me, so I put hundreds of rounds through it, got a little better but not much. Wife had the same experience so I got rid of it and got a M&PC - straight down the middle, Glock 26 - straight down the middle. So say what you want, and I know there are lots of happy taurus owners out there, but this one left a bad taste in my mouth so I won't buy another nor would I recommend one - there are just too many great choices out there to throw money at "hopefully I'll get a good one"

mpmarty
December 17, 2008, 04:48 PM
Well, if it aint broke don't talk about it, right? That seems to be the way of the internet.

I've had five Taurus handguns, four pistols and a model 85 circa 1984. The pistols were all later models, a 12/7 in 45acp, a PT145, a PT745 and now my PT145PRO. All were functionally perfect. All would place shots within 3" at 25yards which is all one can really expect from out of the box pistols. The 24/7 was probably the most accurate at less than 2" at 25 yards. My PT145Pro has the williams firesights and is my daily carry. I've got close to two thousand rounds through it. The gun has NEVER had a problem of any kind and shoots cast semi-wad cutters, ball and of course the 185gr Barnes solid copper flying ash trays I use as my CCW rounds.

gun4funtime
December 17, 2008, 05:33 PM
my pt1911 shot right on out of the box.

I know of three others at our range, no problems with them.

Sights need some adjusting, so you will never buy again, man how picky. sound like a lame reason to bad mouth Taurus.

What you want for that piece of crap with bad sights, I might help you out if the price is low, just so you don't get stressed out about it any more. you should sell the junker cheap and fast!!

.38 Special
December 17, 2008, 08:43 PM
I've never had a bad Taurus, and I have owned more than the five that is apparently the magic number. I have also had several dealings with their customer service -- I learned how to reload with one of their .357 revolvers, and abused it pretty badly -- which were also just fine. That does not mean that I don't believe anyone has had troubles with the product or the service. It simply means that I think the estimates of 20% lemons, 50% lemons, or whatever, are drifting pretty far into "nonsense" territory.

At this point I've had more troubles with both S&W products and S&W service -- and I've long been a fan of S&W.

helz_mcfugly
December 17, 2008, 09:24 PM
low and to the left, low and to the left, low and to the left. right handed people who "pull" the trigger and there danged oll low and to the left.

V2Rider
December 17, 2008, 10:22 PM
Wow. I'm new to the site, but not to guns. I have had 2 Taurus 24/7 pistols, a 9mm and a .40. I NEVER had a problem hitting my point of aim. You can't hold the sights on a taurus pistol like you do on an XD and expect to hit same. You have to cover the target with the taurus's front dot basically, instead of holding the dot under the target. Its a known fact with the semi autos. But I absolutley loved the 2 I had, and regret getting rid of the .40 as it was the most comfortable carry gun I had.

You wan't to crap on a gun, do it on a Hi Point. I even owned a .45 Hi Point that shot flawlessly, but the 9 and 380 were POS

bensdad
December 17, 2008, 10:49 PM
PT Millenium Pro 745
PT Millenium Pro 140

These are my carry guns. They work great. They feel great. They carry great.

Cover target with front site. Shred target. Rinse, lather and repeat.

If I ever see a good/great deal on another PT MilPro (140,145,745,138,111) 3rd gen, I'll inspect for abuse, then purchase.

Sorry. I only have two working Tauri to add to the evidence pile.

RippinSVT
December 18, 2008, 01:32 AM
I have never had an issue with any of my Taurii either. 617 .357 snubnose, PT92 9mm, Mod 85 .38.

That being said, I have shot box-stock Kimbers that don't shoot close to point of aim. As far as the PT1911 having odd-sized rear sight dovetails, I agree, that is moronic. A wise man once told me, "if you're buying a 1911, get a beavertail, get adjustable sights".

nwilliams
December 18, 2008, 01:56 AM
People are so quick to blame guns for inaccuracy:rolleyes:

It may be that the gun in question and you are just not meant to be. The problem is that when you walk into a store to buy a gun you don't often get to try out the gun first to see if it fits you. Unlike buying a new pair of shoes you can't try it out for size first and know that you walk out with a perfect fit. I've owned many guns that were inaccurate in my hands and perfectly accurate for someone else and vice versa.

Not saying that you are a bad shot mind you, I'm simply putting out the hypothesis that perhaps the gun and you are not a perfect match. Remember there are plenty of perfectly happy Taurus owners out there and that every company puts out a rotten egg once in a while.

Brian41
December 18, 2008, 02:55 PM
huh.....

that's odd, one of my favorite features of my Taurus, and the biggest reason i want more... is the straight 8 heine sights.

But, if you're really dis-satisfied with your PT 1911, i'll trade you some adjustable rear sights for the gun... That way whatever gun you have next you can put adjustable sights on, and i'll have a 1911!!

1814rob
December 18, 2008, 04:37 PM
I'm satisfied with both my Taurus PT145 and the 1911. Worked some on the 1911, cause I can, and it's my IDPA gun, over the pure Colt and the built by me Colt/Essex.

SwampWolf
December 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
that's odd, one of my favorite features of my Taurus, and the biggest reason i want more... is the straight 8 heine sights.

Not odd to me. Those "straight eight" sights would be one of the least liked feature on any pistol I might be considering to buy. I guess it comes down to what a person is used to.

stolivar
December 18, 2008, 07:49 PM
"as for the gun shooting low, yep, even off a rest. i have just compensated by aliening the bottom of the front sight dot to the top of the rear sight."

that is not compinsating that is the correct way to shoot a heinie sight. you put the front dot on top of the rear sight.

steve

firinginfenton
December 18, 2008, 08:28 PM
I've had my PT1911 and love it! BUT when asked by other shooters what I think of my PT1911 I tell them I'd probably buy an STI or something else.

Then I explain that their sight cuts are not standard and I had to have a smith machine the rear dove tail it fit an adjustable sight and XS sights "fitted" one of their Big Dots into my front dove tail. There are other issues I have had with the gun but I've worked them out as well. I carry it often and shoot IDPA and USPSA with it monthly.

buttrap
December 18, 2008, 10:20 PM
Non standard size dove tails is very common in non US made guns. what is standard for us may not be standard for the rest of the world. As for Brazil quality the swiss amry uses a made in brazil feild gun as their main big boomer. But thats Imbel and not Taurus though.

John Wayne
December 19, 2008, 02:29 AM
PT Millenium Pro 745
PT Millenium Pro 140

These are my carry guns. They work great. They feel great. They carry great.

bensdad, what kind of holster do you use? I've been having some trouble finding holsters, and would like to have a nice IWB rig.

BornAgainBullseye
December 19, 2008, 10:02 AM
Ok, Taurus wont cut it for you... Ill send you my address and you can ship me the pistol overnight... I will put in the cabnet next to my PT1911 that everybody hates because I shoot inside everybody elses spread.

benderx4
December 19, 2008, 10:42 AM
My first pistol ever was a Taurus PT92 I bought back in the early 80s. I probably have well over 15,000 rounds through that thing and it has run flawlessly. Perfect. Action feels like there are ball bearings in there.

Had a Taurus Model 85 snubbie that also shot without err. Personally, I couldn't shoot that particular gun well, so it got traded, but that was my fault, not the gun's.

As for their 1911, I've never had an occasion to shoot or even handle one, but it sure looks like you get a good value for your money.

My old Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded had all kinds of Brazilian made parts and that gun ran all day with no problems. Not everyone can afford Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc. For the ordinary Joe, I think the Taurus looks like a smart purchase, especially if it's your first.

The Annoyed Man
December 19, 2008, 05:04 PM
My son flat wears out bullseyes with his PT1911. I would get one myself, except that I just picked up a like new Springfield Armory Loaded this morning. Me like.

brett30030
December 19, 2008, 06:47 PM
I bought a hammer at K-mart and it is not as good as one i could have bought from craftsman. Who do i blame?

freonr22
December 19, 2008, 07:25 PM
Old December 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM #5
freonr22

i dont think they should even put sights on them. just be the bullet and hit what your pointing at

whatnickname
January 20, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hey folks, take a look at the following thread: What is the most unreliable semi auto you have shot ?

Sort through the posts on this thread and aside from the obvious junk like Jennings and Lorcin, the list of gripes reads like a "who's who" in the world of firearms manufacturing. The bottom line, for me anyway, is that almost anyone can build a lemon. It would seem to be a matter of percentages. If you've got a good responsible manufacturer that is willing to make things right we all come out on the winning side as far as I'm concerned.

I know what you mean about poor customer service. It makes me mad as hell. Probably the worst experience I've ever had was US Repeating Arms with a new in the box model 70 in .223. They apparently forgot to finish reaming the chamber. The throat was so short it literally crimped the brass into the bullet when I closed the bolt. I called Winchester...they promptly told me I was stupid. I took the rifle to a custom rifle smith whom proceeded to take another .130" off the front of the chamber! Good thing I didn't try to fire that rifle out of the box! The problem with USRA that that nobody gave a damn. Guess what? They went belly up! Our security regarding problems like this is on forums like this one. Collectively we can put enough pressure on the bad performers to be accountable. Absent this, we have the power to put them out of business!

V2Rider
January 20, 2009, 09:52 PM
:scrutiny:

RippinSVT
January 20, 2009, 11:56 PM
I don't recall anybody saying this yet, but maybe somebody did. Did the OP try it with different ammo? I know on many of my larger caliber guns, different ammo will shoot as much as 8" above/below POA depending on the bullet/load (the high end of that spectrum is mostly with big bore revolvers, but holds true to a lesser extent on 1911's). If they are zero'd with a hot +P 230gr, it's gonna shoot higher than say, a snail's pace 230gr. That's from a rest, BTW.

It seems like a no-brainer, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

IdahoLT1
January 21, 2009, 04:58 AM
So you are an ex comp. shooter and want a 1911 that has competition like accuracy and you buy a Taurus? Im not knocking the Taurus by any means, but i wouldnt go as far to say its on the same level as a competition pistol. Maybe a Wilson Combat would suite your needs better. The PT1911 is a good pistol. It was built so that people with limited budgets could afford to have a quality 1911. Doesnt mean that every shooter should automatically shoot 1" groups at 25yds with this pistol.

I own 5 pistols. 3 of which have fixed sights: My Kahr CW9, my Beretta 92F and Taurus 357. They all shoot differently and I adapt to the way i shoot them and the way the guns shoot. my 92F for example, i hold the dot on the front sight, center and on top of the 2 dots on the rear sight and it hits point of aim at 10 yds, off hand. If i want to go further down range, i raise the front site. Its as simple as that. My S&W 1006 and EAA Witness Elite have adjustable rear sights and guess what? I adjust those to the way i shoot them.

stalkingbear
January 21, 2009, 06:31 AM
Just to set some posters straight-Yes I've tried different loads/bullet weights/velocities. I FINALLY got it shooting where I wanted. The 2 main reasons I originally got it was: #1-as basis to build from (lots of part styles I like on a pistol that is as cheap as building from bare frame,#2-so that if customers happened to ask me about them, I would know what I was talking about-with at least 1 sample. It has been unfailingly reliable with 3K through it with all kinds of loads. For someone who wants a reliable 1911 "loaded" for that price to simply take out of box and shoot, it's an excellent pistol. For someone hoping to shortcut instead of building from bare frame-forget it.

Also having oddball size dovetail cut just don't hold water in an pistol designed expressly to be sold in the USA.

OleCodger
January 21, 2009, 06:46 AM
I visited my local General Motors dealership today........attempted to buy a brand new in the box Cadillac for the same price that I could buy a new Chevy. Chevy has some mighty high powered advertising so my reasoning?? Both cars have a front seat and steerig wheel, ac, power steering, electric windows, four wheels, very comfortable, lots of built in safety features, therefore the two should be about equal. Salesman just laughed at me. Made me very angry. :fire: I'm boycotting all Cadillac products for the rest of my life. That'll show them. :evil:

Love my PT1911SS. I'm just proud that everyone deosn't share the same feeling or there would be a severe shortage and they would no longer be a bargain priced gun (Law of supply and demand). Doesn't bother me at all if it shoots 2" low, high, right or left at 15 yards. Just wish that I was also an accurate competitive shooter but I'm not. If I have my math right, 15 yards equals 45 feet. If I'm that far away from the thug, I'll probably just see how fast I can run whether I'm toting a Taurus, Kimber or a Colt!!. :D Afterall, that super duper, shiny, double powdered lead pushing round of ammo in the chamber just might might be a dud...........:banghead:

DigMe
January 21, 2009, 07:40 AM
I FINALLY got it shooting where I wanted.

how did you fix the issue?

Mad Magyar
January 21, 2009, 08:39 AM
This is a thinly disguised "hate-thread". It reminds me of a thread I posted about Kahr that was removed with a censure because I made similar assertions that the OP made; but made the mistake of using the word "Hate" in the title. It shouldn't go any further, IMHO....

ZO6Vettever
January 21, 2009, 02:25 PM
Back in August I was in the market for my first new gun in 30 years and first semi auto. On the Taurus forum were horror stories about quality control and service and for that reason I got a S&W. The Taurus complaints have gotton noticeably less and service much quicker. They seem to make an exelent gun for a bargain price. I would some day consider buying one. The PT 145 is an attractive option.

hankdatank1362
January 21, 2009, 05:31 PM
Top dot over bottom dot, put the top dot where you want the bullet to go...

OleCodger
January 21, 2009, 05:48 PM
Now that's pretty durned complicated........... Put top dot over bottom dot......by jove, come to think of it, that's what I've been doing!!!! And it pretty well works for me............... You just got carried away in your study guide.......

V2Rider
January 21, 2009, 05:54 PM
:banghead::banghead:

Go back to page 2, second post from the bottom, I already told everyone how to hit with a taurus. But nobody wanted to listen:D

OleCodger
January 21, 2009, 06:05 PM
Sorry about that V2........I'm old and decrepid so have to budget my reading time each day......didn't take time to read the entire thread..........you did good though.......I've read it now and that's how you do it!!!

V2Rider
January 21, 2009, 06:12 PM
lol I love the taurus 24/7 guns. I however only have one now, and 2 XDMs and 1 XD45 and a Glock. I will probably buy another 24/7, just for the fact that it has been the MOST comfortable gun to carry and to hold.:)

godsdog
January 21, 2009, 06:17 PM
I carry a Taurus .357 five shot snubbie. One time at the range my buddies were bitchin' it shot all over the place, be-littling my carry gun. I stepped up and rattled off a quick 5 rounds and retrieved the target... "see" they said " your all over the place", laughing. I ripped down the target and held it up against his chest... there were five little red holes where his t shirt showed through... " Bingo", I said... end of conversation.

jocko
January 21, 2009, 06:41 PM
If you ask a question about a gun, car, tv. u are going to get both sides.

If your taurus works great for you, then defend it as those that don't work right will also hammer it.

I sold guns for aliving for 40 years and we never sold any bad taurus that I can remember of.. Alot, and I mean alot more pro's for taurus than cons that is for sure...

good gun,just shoot it like u stole it.

Revolver Ocelot
January 21, 2009, 08:20 PM
But doesnt it ever get old, all the bashing?

not necissarily, I mean when you pay good money on a gun you have a certain expectation of it (even if its not a high expectation) and if it doesn't meet that standard which varies from person to person you may get upset.

Just suppose if your pt1911 had been a miss you may not speak so well of taurus either. I can see why all the bashing, people have just been having worse luck with taurus then some of the other manufacturers lately.

JR47
January 22, 2009, 06:11 AM
Like Kimber, who evidently has decided to do Beta testing with the buyers?

Old Jimmy
January 22, 2009, 02:03 PM
Well I owned 2 Kimbers that jammed all the time new out of the box so I dont buy Kimber anymore.

Ruger is having a lot of recalls on their pistols right now so maybe we should not buy those either even though hundreds of thousands of other Rugers have been fine.

Colt made really crappy 1911's in the late 70's so we should not buy them either even though they have such a huge following.

My chamber seperated a tiny bit on my Springfield 1911 and even though it shoots great I should not get another one since it's made in Brazil too.

My brother bought a Hipoint and brought it out to show me how it would out shoot my Colt and Springfield for 1\3 the price, the slide fell off his Hipoint on the 3rd shot and I still wont let him live it down.

I hope you guys see where I am going with this, everyone may make a bad one and if we believed everyone who flamed over 1 gun we would be out of options so I buy whatI like and if it dont do what I need it to do I sell it and get something else....

OleCodger
January 22, 2009, 02:11 PM
Extremely well said.......as far as I'm concerned....Case Closed!

If you enjoyed reading about "1 reason NOT to buy taurus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!