any fifty cal Glocks?

PDA

zignal_zero
December 15, 2008, 03:17 PM
i was wondering if any of you have any first hand experience with the .50 cal conversion for the G21. in the event i end up with some extra $, i would like to get one. i just need to know if it's a functional reliable weapon because although i would be buying it for the "look what i got" factor (when Caliber debates came up), i still plan on toting it.

anybody have one, held one, know a guy with one, etc?

If you enjoyed reading about "any fifty cal Glocks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
glock_17_4U
December 15, 2008, 03:28 PM
did you happen to see this in a gun rag

nalioth
December 15, 2008, 04:09 PM
did you happen to see this in a gun rag It's made the blogs and forums when news of it was released.

http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/

More info (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=guncrafter+industries+glock&btnG=Search)

trackaddict88
December 15, 2008, 04:36 PM
I looked at them online too. If a G20 can't handle full 10mm loads(Hot Double Taps-from what I have read)- well I wonder what kind of ME we are talking about here. I don't remember if they said.

General Geoff
December 15, 2008, 06:29 PM
.50GI has about the same muzzle energy as .45ACP. It slings a slightly larger, slightly heavier bullet, at slightly lower velocities. It even operates at the same pressure as .45ACP (~15,000psi).

.45ACP: 230gr @ 900fps
.50GI: 275gr @ 875fps

The cartridge really is just to say "I have a .50 cal," and nothing more. It's nowhere near the performance of "real" .50 caliber rounds, such as .50AE or .500 Magnum.

bja5006
December 15, 2008, 07:42 PM
eww.

i would totally shoot it though

possum
December 15, 2008, 08:01 PM
i don't like any glock in any caliber but 9mm, so i will have to pass on this.

Borch
December 15, 2008, 11:00 PM
Don't waste your money. The .50 GI is built on a rebated rim case. Historically speaking rebated rim cases are notoriously poor functioning and unreliable. Some dude thought this up simply so he could say he was carrying a .50 caliber in a "concealable" size.

Beagle-zebub
December 15, 2008, 11:14 PM
I looked at them online too. If a G20 can't handle full 10mm loads(Hot Double Taps-from what I have read)- well I wonder what kind of ME we are talking about here. I don't remember if they said.

This is the first I've heard of this, though such hot loads will bulge the case dude to the incomplete support provided by the stock chamber. (A problem solved by a replacement barrel.)

Ben86
December 16, 2008, 12:19 AM
I don't have or know anyone who owns one. But I've gotta say it looks really pointless. The .50 gi is a low velocity .50. And you think .45 ammo is expensive!

zignal_zero
December 16, 2008, 01:47 AM
yea, the desire to own one faded as quickly as it came on LOL. the more i looked into it, it seems like there really isn't a ballistical advantage that warrants the cost (gun/kit/ammo) plus the mag sticks out too far to be concealable.

whoever said rebated cartridges have reliability issues, thank you. i never knew that. i knew rimmed cases in an auto weren't a great idea (Coonan .357mag), but didin't know about the rebated cartridges.

thanks to all who offered input. i believe i'm also in the "i'll pass" crowd, now.

jakk280rem
December 16, 2008, 03:52 AM
the 50gi cartridge has the same head diameter as the 45acp so the stock slide can be used. at the low pressure the cartridge opperates at and the saami std. chamber dimensions i dont think case bulging would be an issue. its a novel idea best utilized by someone with alot of money and too much free time and an appetite for the unusual.

If you enjoyed reading about "any fifty cal Glocks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!