Ruger LCP +P

PDA

willmartin
December 15, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hey guys, do you think the LCP can handle the Cor-Bon 90 gr +P loads or should I stick with the Federal 90 gr Hydra-Shok?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCP +P" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dobrzemetal
December 15, 2008, 11:16 PM
not sure, you can always ask a rep from ruger. How do you like it though?

Blue Brick
December 15, 2008, 11:28 PM
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2

moooose102
December 16, 2008, 12:03 AM
ruger says no to +p ammo. i have shot a few through mine when i first got it, i had no problem. but i certainly would not make a habit out of it. the last thing you want is for the gun to break when you NEED it!

rcmodel
December 16, 2008, 02:12 PM
Corbon developed the load using Kel-Tec P3AT's as test beds.

Shirley, the LPC is a strong as a Kel-Tec!

Or is it?

On another note:
There is no SAAMI spec for +P .380 ACP ammo.

What you got there is .380 ACP loaded to it's full 21,500 PSI potential.
Not down-loaded like most other brands.

rcmodel

jpwilly
December 17, 2008, 02:27 AM
^^^ I'm with RC probably a full power load. How about we chronograph some of these loads.

CPshooter
December 17, 2008, 04:21 AM
I have an LCP and I wouldn't hesitate to run any factory .380 through it, even if it is "+P" rated. Anyone making a .380 defense load knows that it will more than likely be shooting from small plastic guns like the Kel-tec P3At or Ruger LCP. I wouldn't worry about it. Buy it, test it, and carry it.

ToadPS
December 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
Here is the E-mail I sent them on LCP +P and their reply.

Quote:
This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 08/05/2008
Request No: 7755

Comment / question:

Is it alright to use .380 +P ammo in the LCP for concealed carry use?

I would not make a practice of shooting +P all the time. I just want it in case I actually have to use the gun for personal defense.

I would imagine firing a box of 25 through it to ensure proper function but other than that I'd use regular ammo.

I am thinking particularly of the Buffalo Bore 380 ACP +P 95 Gr FMJ.

Response:

Ruger recommends firing only SAAMI specification ammunition in the LCP. No +P ammunition should be used.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

onebigelf
December 17, 2008, 11:15 AM
Stick to the Kel-tec.

John

Marcus L.
December 17, 2008, 11:23 AM
Just as rcmodel said, there is no SAMMI designation for .380acp+P. Therefore, there are NO .380acp pistols on the market designed to shoot it. Just because a KelTec was used to develop the Buffallo Bore load does not mean that it is safe to shoot +P out of a KelTec. KelTec, Ruger, Sig, Walther,.....all manufacturers will outright tell you that you should not shoot +P out of your .380acp pistol. Shoot at your own risk, but it is doubtful that either Buffallo Bore, or your pistol manufacturer will be legally responsible if you have a problem.

jon_in_wv
December 18, 2008, 07:19 PM
In a gun that small I think regular ammo and quick follow up shots are more important than the slight advantage a few more FPS might give you. I would stick with a good HP and spend less time worrying about ammo. If you practice more and are confident with your proficiency then the ammo is much less concern. I used to carry a P32 once in a while and I was very confident with that little sucker. I have a friend who carries a FN 1922 in 32acp. He is deadly with it and I pity the man that would go up against him with that weapon.

shooter429
December 18, 2008, 09:42 PM
The recoil and blast are intense and recovery is much slower than standard loads. Try the 102 Grain Rem GS that is what I switched to. They feed and function without as much fuss.

Shooter429

71Commander
December 19, 2008, 09:35 AM
Another GS user here. (I use them in my handloads though:o )

MICHAEL T
December 19, 2008, 08:43 PM
Corbon 380 isn't +P Corbon ammo in 380 falls within SAMMI spec. If you see ad saying 380 Corbon +P Contact Corbon they would like to know
SAMMI sets the standred for+P They have never set any.
I have fired several 100 rounds of Corbon 380 HP and DPX thru my Kel Tec and never a problem. I don't find recoil that Bad .
I carry Corbon in all 5 of my 380's

Newton
December 20, 2008, 03:50 AM
I shoot a lot of Santa Barbara 88gr through my LCP and that is even hotter than the Corbon +P.

It eats them up, I just keep a regular check on the recoil springs.

Lawyers would rather that gun manufacturers recommend that owners not use any live ammo in their guns, American .380 is a joke, I can throw the rounds faster.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger LCP +P" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!