9mm/380 ACP vs 7.62x25. How to compare the ammo and guns?

PDA

Ignition Override
December 16, 2008, 03:07 AM
Having no actual knowledge of handguns (limited time with carbines), the styles of some foreign 9mm handguns appeal to me. And have read a little about the eastern Euro types which use only 7x25.
Have no idea whether this ammo is only used by Makarovs.

Do most popular western Euro types such as Beretta, CZs, Belgians, Germans etc use the 9mm or 380 ACP? I've read that the original terms were Parabellum and Kurz (short).

Are handuns which use the 7x25 a good bit less-powerful than those which use 9mm or 380?
I suspect that spare parts for the x25 guns might be much harder to locate in the US.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm/380 ACP vs 7.62x25. How to compare the ammo and guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mr.trooper
December 16, 2008, 03:17 AM
7.62x25 is significantly more powerful than either the 9mm or 380. Its not used in civilian arms because it tends to -over-penetrate. This ammunition was never used by Makarovs. It was used in Russian Tokarev, and Czech CZ-52 pistols, as well as several different sub-machine guns during the WWII and Cold war era.

The Makarovs and similar Warsaw Pact handguns use chiefly 9x18 Makarov caliber. There are several different handguns that use this caliber. Be careful though, because some commercial (made for export, not the military) are chambered for 9x17 browning, which is also known as 380acp here in the states.

As for spare parts, since most of the 7.62x25 caliber guns are military surplus, there are lots of guns and parts floating around. They should be easy to find, and fairly inexpensive.

Ignition Override
December 16, 2008, 03:30 AM
Thanks.
I just looked at Wikipedia and realized that my confusion will take a while to clear up. Among mny other things, had the Tokarev/Makarov mixed up.
My only real interest for a while is with rifles (Minis, SKS, MN 44), but in a year or two might consider a handgun, after a good bit of reading.

As for 9mm, is the standard length (known in the past as Luger/Parabellum?)much more common in the western Euro types and CZs mentioned above? The CZ 75 and 82 or 83 seem to be attractive to many people.
And the regular 9mm ammo appears to be more economical than the 40 S&W and 357 etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm/380 ACP vs 7.62x25. How to compare the ammo and guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!