heading home with my shotgun

PDA

TigerXJ
December 16, 2008, 03:26 PM
First, I live in Chapel Hill, NC, and will be traveling to Asheville, NC.

I don't yet own a handgun (I'll wait till I've got the money and my CCW), but I do regularly shoot skeet with my 20ga remington model 48. I understand that if I were transporting a handgun, it would have to transported open, as in, not closed up in a case or anything. Also, I believe it must be out of arm's reach.

However, when diving home with my shotgun, what must I do to be compliant. Generally, I like to keep it in the padded case in the back seat to protect it during travel. However, I believe that technically, this is considered a concealed weapon, even though it is a long gun. From what I understand, to be legal in the back seat, it must be exposed - that is not stored in the case. Otherwise, I could put it in the case, and throw it in the trunk. However, I drive a Jeep Cherokee, so the trunk is technically open to the passenger cabin.

Also, assuming I'm not "concealing" a weapon, do I have a responsibility to inform an officer that I have an unloaded, breach open, shotgun in the back?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Kenny

If you enjoyed reading about "heading home with my shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "heading home with my shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!