What is the most unreliable semi auto you have shot ?

PDA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SJ78
December 16, 2008, 10:04 PM
For myself it was the AMT backup 22lr . The gun jammed about every other shot . Even with stingers it would still jam .

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the most unreliable semi auto you have shot ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tbraddy
December 16, 2008, 10:15 PM
A Para-Ordnance LDA single stack .45 ACP. I still have it. Its SD role- give it to the bad guy, while he's trying to figure out how to get it to shoot, crack him in the head with a stick.

KyJim
December 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
A Kimber Ultra Carry II. Traded it.

PRM
December 16, 2008, 10:37 PM
First Generation S&W Sigma - would have made a decent trot line sinker.

RickW
December 16, 2008, 10:56 PM
Llama .380.

zignal_zero
December 16, 2008, 11:09 PM
the two most unreliable autos i've ever had were the (1)cheapest and (2) the most expensive. ironic, eh? the cheapest was an FIE .22, chamber was oversized so brass would split and cause extraction woes. the most expensive was an original Pasadena model Automag, but hey you don't buy an Automag for reliablility :-)

bensdad
December 16, 2008, 11:14 PM
My Daewoo DP51 is getting really bad. I think it just needs springs though. I know it needs mag springs, but I don't know where to get them. As for the other springs? I don't know where to get those either. No worries. Other guns to shoot.

monkyboy1975
December 16, 2008, 11:16 PM
A cheap knock off of a 9mm glock, the thing jammed every shot.:banghead:

machinisttx
December 16, 2008, 11:20 PM
Davis .380

kashton
December 16, 2008, 11:25 PM
Kimber Tactical Ultra II. I now carry H&Ks

bluemalibu
December 16, 2008, 11:26 PM
The worst for feeding was the S&W Mod 39.

I gave the company the benefit of the doubt though, and tried the 645 when it came out... halfway through the second magazine, it was as if the gun exploded in my hands. A spent case went one direction, the front site went another, and the decocking lever went a third.

I've never bought another Smith autoloader.

bensdad
December 16, 2008, 11:28 PM
A cheap knock off of a 9mm glock,

What does this mean?

monkyboy1975
December 16, 2008, 11:36 PM
"What does this mean?"

It looked like a glock, but it definitely was not. It belonged to one of my brothers freinds, I think he said he payed 100.00 for it new. Can't remember who made it though.

Boba Fett
December 16, 2008, 11:37 PM
S&W P99 Compact. Way way too easy to "limp wrist" and cause a jam. Not the sort of thing I wanted for a CCW. Very dissapointed in S&W on that one. Sold it.

nd1979
December 16, 2008, 11:39 PM
AMT Backup 380!

wyocarp
December 16, 2008, 11:41 PM
My Colt AR and my Kimber.

Lone_Gunman
December 16, 2008, 11:42 PM
Kimber CDP, or whatever they call their 4" melted version... it was a true jam-o-matic, and Kimber could not fix it even with 2 trips back to them.

bensdad
December 16, 2008, 11:48 PM
Anybody else notice there are 4 Kimbers on the first page of this list?

glock_17_4U
December 17, 2008, 12:02 AM
was it a high point or some unheard of fly by night outfit
BTW:i consider xds,mnps, an all the polymer pistols that came out after glock knock offs, so be specific about the comany, if you know.

bhhacker
December 17, 2008, 12:04 AM
S&W sigma....darn thing would not strike the primer hard enough to fire. Also it had a tendency to shoot the burning hot shell RIGHT into your face.

chuckusaret
December 17, 2008, 12:06 AM
LCP .380 I learned all the terms FTF, FTE etc or the bad one FWD. "Fired when dropped" with this POS.

Treo
December 17, 2008, 12:08 AM
9mm Llama for jams

.45 ACP Llama for catastrophic melt downs (I.E. it fell apart when I was shooting it)

GJgo
December 17, 2008, 12:12 AM
The most unreliable pistols I have shot were the two baby eagles (9 and 40) that I owned and the desert eagle 44 that I shot. All 3 were amazing peices of you-know-what when it came time to pull the trigger. Darn shame, too, as I really liked how the BE looked & felt.

monkyboy1975
December 17, 2008, 12:18 AM
"was it a high point or some unheard of fly by night outfit"

It may have been an early Highpoint, this was back in the mid ninetys. My brother then handed me his High Power, (an older one) now that one was definitely fun to shoot, perfect fit accurate. I've wanted one ever since, just haven't gotten around to getting one yet.

Borch
December 17, 2008, 12:19 AM
Toss up between a Firestar 9mm and a Daewoo 9mm, both complete junk, but for different reasons. The Firestar sucked from the beginning but the Daewoo didn't suck until it broke and 3 gunsmiths searching for 3 months each could not find the right part to repair it. The Firestar got sold and the Daewoo is on my desk...it's my paperweight.

Geneseo1911
December 17, 2008, 12:22 AM
Chrome Llama pseudo-1911 (ghettofabulous)(not mine). It wasn't even that bad, though. I've had pretty darn good luck with autos. Maybe that's why I've never gotten into wheelguns.

Ohio Gun Guy
December 17, 2008, 12:27 AM
Hungarian FEG..... .32acp

Jambed every 2-3 rounds, Until I used Focci Ammo. Not One jamb with Focci. Go Figure?

Dienekes
December 17, 2008, 12:31 AM
A Ruger P97 from hell. From Day 1 it would "pop" rounds up and out of the magazine when the slide went back in recoil. Sometimes the round would just go flying by and the gun load the next round ok; other times it would jam the nose of the round into the rear of the barrel. Spent a year and some 1200 meticulously documented rounds (with charts and graphs, no less) fighting that thing. Sent it into Ruger twice not to mention swapping out parts, mags, you name it. Finally Ruger offered to take it back, destroy it, and send me a NIB one in exchange. I took them up on it, and sold the second one without even test firing it. I actually liked the gun when it worked, but after that experience I was all done with Ruger centerfire autos.

I have another that is probably even worse, but since I bought it as a curio and paperweight it is less aggravating. It's the reincarnated Whitney Wolverine .22 by Olympic Arms. Very cool looking retro 1950s autopistol updated in polymer. It is as unreliable as it is good looking. Ammo that my Ruger auto loves doesn't work at all well; nor does any other I've tried. The manual recommends Stingers which are pretty expensive for plinking--and the gun still doesn't work properly. Contacted the mfr. but they could care less. I think they still advertise the gun for sale.

For these and other reasons I am primarily a revolver man. the exceptions are 1911s and BHPs. No others need apply...

JohnnyOrygun
December 17, 2008, 12:35 AM
Tangfolio cz clone, my first semi auto... what a hunk of junk, ftf, fte, and just a total frustrating failure (TFF), I am not sure of the spelling of Tangfolio, but I do know it was an Italian. I ended up trading it straight across for a 10/22 that was just as bad, but I think the 10/22's problem was the after market 30 rnd magazine as all of my other 10/22's have been great.

ljnowell
December 17, 2008, 12:39 AM
It would have to be a tossup between a sigma my brother bought(even when it did shoot it was as inaccurate as could be) and a colt 1911. The 1911 would choke and fail to feed everything you could throw at it. LRN, FMJ, etc. We used to laugh and call it a single shot 1911. Tried dozens of mags. Had an uncle who was a 1911 guy he did everything he could think of short of a barrel replacement. It was a nearly new gun at that. Older model but had hardly any ran though it (you couldnt practically). Damn thing would jam loading the first round off the mag.

jpwilly
December 17, 2008, 12:41 AM
Llama MiniMax 45ACP but once I got the mags reworked and the feed ramp polished no more problems...still have it.

makarovnik
December 17, 2008, 01:56 AM
Thompson (Kahr Arms) 1911A1 GI. Piece of crap. My Hi-Point was way more accurate and reliable.

possum
December 17, 2008, 02:03 AM
funny that this is asked, the most unreliable semi auto that i have shot, which i happened to have owned was a ruger p345, the funny thing is that it was the cheapest handgun i have ever bought and the most accurate too. I normally don't like to sell guns, but there was a combat focus shooting class a a few weeks ago and i wanted to go so i let the ruger go.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
December 17, 2008, 02:10 AM
VEGA 1911 clone in stainless. It jammed more than it fired. My first 1911. Swapped my vintage Moto Guzzi V-7 for it, 22 yrs ago when I was young and stupid. Still miss that Guzzi.

Good thing I did not give up on the 1911 design.

After I gave that POS away, owned about a dozen various excellent Colts, Springfield Armories, Remington Rands (transformed into pinguns) that performed nearly flawlessly.

Dean Williams
December 17, 2008, 02:20 AM
I'm surprised Jennings hasn't shown up numerous times. Maybe it's just taken for granted as one of the worst.
Well, that's mine. I think I've had it for 25 years and it still hasn't made it through it's first 50 rounds. It's never even made it through two consecutive rounds.

The worst "real" semi auto I've had would be a Llama in 38 super. Jam, bang, jam, bang, jam, jam, bang, jam, reload. It looked nice, though.

VINTAGE-SLOTCARS
December 17, 2008, 02:26 AM
S & W 39, it was a pos. jammed all the time even with S & W ammo of the time

Treo
December 17, 2008, 02:44 AM
I'm surprised.
There are a couple of people that post here that get absolutely apoplectic when I mention that I've had less than completely satisfactory experiences W/ the Llamas I've owned.

I expect them to ride down out of the hills at any moment to let you all know that Llamas are wonderful firearms and I'm a liar

janobles14
December 17, 2008, 02:53 AM
para double stack 1911. i think it was anorexic. wouldnt eat a thing.

CPshooter
December 17, 2008, 03:06 AM
Kahr PM9. Total POS that didn't work after two trips to Kahr. It suffered mostly from FTF problems along with a trigger that failed to reset every other trigger pull. It was unreliable and dangerous.

I've owned or still own Glocks, an H&K, Walther P99, XDs, and even a Ruger LCP. None of those guns have ever given me a single problem. I just bought my first 1911 (new Colt Commander) and I hope it will be as reliable as the rest of my guns after I take it to the range sometime in the near future.

I think the reason you see so many Kimbers listed is simply because Kimber sells so many 1911s and 1911s aren't all EXACTLY the same like a Glock or XD is. They are more prone to inconsistencies in the manufacturing process, no matter who the manufacturer is. That's why one guy will swear his Kimber sucked, but loves his Springfield or Colt. Works the other way around too...some guys will say they have 4 Kimbers and they are all flawless, but won't touch another Springfield or Colt after one bad experience.

zignal_zero
December 17, 2008, 05:06 AM
GJgo -

that's wild that you had so much problems with the DE. i had a Baby Eagle in 9mm. it was the weapon i went through the academy with, i put THOUSANDS of rounds through it within weeks and cleaned it so rarely that i actually changed their policy on inspections. i NEVER had the slightest hiccup out of that piece. i wonder if yours were exceptions or if mine was.

grimjaw
December 17, 2008, 05:30 AM
CZ52, followed closely by the recent EAA M88 import. I did do some work to try to improve the CZ52's reliability (no success). I didn't bother with the M88.

jm

hinton03
December 17, 2008, 06:00 AM
Mauser HSC

czrami9
December 17, 2008, 08:20 AM
It's a tie between a Ruger SR9 and a PA-63.

The SR9 was beating itself to death and peening the top of the barrel lug(I am not technically saavy, so if that doesn't make sense let me know". The metal was literally smushing. The magazines were SO TIGHT that they would crack when trying to load more than a few rounds. The WORST problem, however, was that the trigger would break inconsistently with each pull. Sometimes, it would fire extremely early in the pull. The other time, it would be pulled all the way back and nothing....then...BOOM. :what:

The PA-63 was/is just a jam o matic, but still fun.

BucBrew
December 17, 2008, 08:22 AM
Keltec P3-AT, rubbish. FTF, stove pipes, the lot.

Robert
December 17, 2008, 09:39 AM
My friend's Colt 1991, though it was not the firearm but his lack of cleaning that made it jam every other shot. A quick field strip and clean had it running like a champ.

The Bushmaster
December 17, 2008, 10:07 AM
Glock Boom-a-matic...

I carry a Kimber UCC II. Over 2,000 rounds through it with no problems. Guess that's one for Kimber.

atblis
December 17, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hungarian Hipower. What a piece of crap.

The Lone Haranguer
December 17, 2008, 11:58 AM
Taurus PT945, Para-Ordnance P12-45, SIG Revolution Carry, Colt Combat Commander.

Macmac
December 17, 2008, 12:07 PM
Kimber DCP Pro II.. It worked ok, but flung hulls into my face..

I sent it back and they seemed to have fixed it by grinding the ejector face roughly..

Probably will get traded since i don't really trust it. A new gun out of the box should run right the first time.

I don't buy into the 500 rnds break in Kimber relies on to do the gunsmithing either.

I have a old worn Remingtom Rand that always works, always feeds, and is 100% trust worthy..

Boba Fett
December 17, 2008, 12:11 PM
the most unreliable pistols i have shot were the two baby eagles (9 and 40) that i owned and the desert eagle 44 that i shot. All 3 were amazing peices of you-know-what when it came time to pull the trigger. Darn shame, too, as i really liked how the be looked & felt.

Really?? :what:

I am totally surprised. My Full Size Steel Frame Baby Eagle 9mm has been like a dream. ONLY problem I ever had with it was due to a faulty magazine which I think got dropped. It would FTF on about the 4th round every time. But all my other magazines work fine with it. All were factory Baby Eagle or CZ mags that I used.

Were yours polymer frames? Were they full size or compact/sub-compact?

If you got a couple of bad Baby Eagles, I'd contact Magnum Research. Their customer service has been very good when I called to ask about possible modifications to mine.

Master Blaster
December 17, 2008, 12:13 PM
My SIG P220ST.

Unreliable, inaccurate, heavy, expensive, Jammomatic piece of crap.
I had to jump up and down and call the president of SIG ARMS to get them to fix it.

It still aint fixed.

bigmedicine
December 17, 2008, 12:29 PM
A Kimber TLE II and a CDP. Worthless as a weapon unless thrown. Never to be burned by Kimber again! Their factory service did not impress or fix either gun. Oh well, I am happy with my Dan Wesson Bobtail - it is 100%

MrIzhevsk
December 17, 2008, 12:43 PM
My dads old SA 1911. Although it only stove-pipes if you use anything other than Federal American Eagle. Anything else, fiocci, winchester, CCI, always stovepipes on the 3rd or 4th shot.

Matrix187
December 17, 2008, 12:55 PM
Old llama .380 pistol. Everything else I have is completely reliable even when dirty.

grizz5675
December 17, 2008, 01:07 PM
there's most likely kimbers mentioned here because you cant limp wrist a kimber and in most cases this is the problem and because of fairly tight tolerances the kimbers need a longer break in period about 4 to 500 rounds.

offthepaper
December 17, 2008, 01:11 PM
Can't beleive nobody else has mentioned a Raven 25. It should be against the law to sell these.....Oh wait, in my state (Md) it is. That's actually a good public safety policy. The thing literally fell apart after 150 rds. :cuss:

Deanimator
December 17, 2008, 01:27 PM
The Tanfoglio TZ40(s) that a friend bought when they first hit the market.

That's the only handgun I would feel completely comfortable with leaving loaded around unsupervised children. Even if they COULD pull the slide back against the force of the 25,000lb. recoil spring, they'd probably never get a round chambered, since they all seemed to hang up part way into the chamber. The surface of the chamber looked like the outside of the barrel of a Chinese SKS, covered in fine, annular rings. I suspect these were added to create friction between the case and the chamber to slow the premature opening which some magazine reviews noted.

I don't think he ever got more than two consecutive shots from the first one. He sent it back and PERHAPS got three consecutive rounds, a few times, from the replacement they sent him.

He eventually punted and got a Glock 22, which has served him well for nearly twenty years.

Ironballs
December 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
Tek-9

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
December 17, 2008, 02:40 PM
para double stack 1911. i think it was anorexic. wouldnt eat a thing.

Such eloquence!!! Ironic that an anorexic 1911 can be so fat:)

Claude Clay
December 17, 2008, 03:11 PM
70's PPK/S that i could count on the chambered round and was a accurate thrower.
colt pony pocketlite--[#17xx] 2 trips to factory & was replaced --it went back twice also and i requested and got a factory credit.
KT all very low #'s and all [p11,p3at, p32] have been back to the factory soo many times the only thing left original on them is their serial #. yet all gave early signs of impending failure.

cars, guns--even the 'best' brand names have some problems. thats what warranties are for. and unlike cars i have found that gun mfg'ers are the best and easiest to deal with.

CoRoMo
December 17, 2008, 03:19 PM
Dang! Kimber's taking a beating here. A couple Colts also?!?

I've been lucky with everything I've ever shot except for a Haskell 45 that must have weighed in close to twenty pounds.

sturmgewehr
December 17, 2008, 03:23 PM
Another vote for Kimber. I had two of them, and both were complete jam-o-matics. i sent the first one back to Kimber for repairs, and it came back in worse condition that it left in. I figured I would give them another try later and once again I got a lemon. Instead of dealing with their customer service (or lack thereof) I got rid of the gun and won't bother buying their products again until I'm confident they've rectified their quality control problems.

searcher451
December 17, 2008, 03:37 PM
Beretta Tomcat -- it's hands-down the worst of the name-manufacturer firearms I've had the displeasure to own. It was like a blind date with an ex-wife; no way could you win.

atblis
December 17, 2008, 03:53 PM
Easily the Walther P22. Multiple examples, all were remarkable in their suckiness.

rbernie
December 17, 2008, 03:57 PM
KelTec P32.

caleb
December 17, 2008, 04:01 PM
HK .45 C. The only gun I've traded or sold.

Geneseo1911
December 17, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'd like to know how many of the above Kimbers had external extractors. I've heard those were the root of many of their problems. Notice they no longer use them. Maybe JMB knew what he was doing.

ronto
December 17, 2008, 04:41 PM
Taurus PT-22...FTF,FTE with every ammo I could think of...A good paper weight however.

gun4funtime
December 17, 2008, 05:42 PM
kimber and colt have more than Taurus, Hmmmm.

hemiram
December 17, 2008, 05:43 PM
That I personally owned:

The most expensive gun I ever bought, until very recently, the Colt Combat Commander I bought in 1980 or 81. Horrible. Not one straight part in it. Jammed on the first shot most of the time. No, mags weren't the problem, it was the gun. Sent it back to Colt, who just scratched it up. Sold it to a local Colt fanboi for only a slight loss. If Colt "service" hadn't messed it up, I could have broken even.

That a friend owned:

Wilson Custom 1911, don't know, or care, what model it was, except it was full sized. Slightly better than my old Colt above, but rarely would it make it through an entire mag without a problem. It was well over $2000, and was very pretty. My friend was told it just needed to be "broken in", but 1000 rounds through it changed nothing. My $350 EAA Witness .45, and another friend's $550 CZ97B made it look very bad, sawing through mag after mag of the same ammo, without a single hitch. It got to the point I was purposely trying to "limp wrist" my Witness, and failed, it doesn't care how it's held. It impressed my friend greatly, who had a lot of custom/semi custom 1911's to come back down to earth and get some "cheap guns" that actually SHOOT. The Wilson went back, and came back and was a little better, but still hung up about once every other mag. Ridiculous.

mongo4567
December 17, 2008, 05:53 PM
Raven .25 is my winner! I think I made it to three consecutive rounds one time. Tried a different mag with no luck and gave up on it. Glad it was free.

Had a friend with a Keltec P3AT, giving him problems stovepiping. I shot it and it worked 100% for a few clips. Turns out he wasn't holding it tight enough.

I love my two Kimbers!

jcwit
December 17, 2008, 06:30 PM
Stoger .22 Luger lookalike

Runningman
December 17, 2008, 06:52 PM
For me its about a 3 way tie with a Colt Huntsman 22, Colt 1911 Delta Elite 10 mm, And a Colt 1911 Gold Cup. Needless to say I think very little of Colt pistols these days. Rare to make it thru a magazie with all three pistols.

I see Para-Ordnance P12 mentioned here. A coworker got one new years ago. It would not make it thru a magazine without choking.... ever. He sent it in to get fixed a couple times nothing changed.

punkndisorderly
December 17, 2008, 06:58 PM
I've had very good luck with autoloaders. The only one I've had an problems with was my Ruger MKIII which jammed like crazy straight out of the box. Ran 10 different .22 loadings from standard velocity to superhyperscreamer. Ran it with no lube, a little lube, and a lot of lube. Cleaned it several times. Tried 4 different factory magazines.

Sent it back to Ruger on my dime, waited 3 months, and now it runs like a champ. Has several thousand rounds through it now with no problems. Now I love it, but still ticked at Ruger for not even apologizing for my trouble, telling me what they fixed, or giving me a freebie.

oweno
December 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
AT-84 ... CZ knock-off, supposed to be Swiss made...yeah right...really made in Italy.
On its best day would actually fire 2 rounds in succession but then again, it would fail to extract round #2.
And thanks for the great review G&A and yes, that's why I no longer subscribe.

MIgunguy
December 17, 2008, 07:06 PM
Walther TPH, at least until I found the ammo it liked. :)

Ruger Mini 14, but I attributed that to cheap magazines and cheap ammo. Got rid of it anyway.

The jam-o-matic I could never resolve was an "old rollmark" parkarized Colt M1991 (I didn't know any better :fire:). Got rid of that thing and thankfully the stainless "new rollmark" M1991 has been problem free (which makes sense b/c I heard after the fact that they're much better, Colt got their act together after the original M1991).

After reading these posts I read that alot of people had problems with Kimber. My 1999-made Classic Custom has been flawless (I guess they're really hit or miss).

mpmarty
December 17, 2008, 07:16 PM
The only two pistols I've ever had problems with were a Walther P-38 WWII issue and a P-08 Luger made in 1942 They were both unreliable and would stovepipe empties in the breech or not have enough energy to fully go into battery on a fresh round.

Nimble1
December 17, 2008, 07:20 PM
Would go full auto at its own will..:what:
And I am going to get my Taurus PT 145 and kiss it..I can't believe only two Tauri in 4 pages...!:D

1time
December 17, 2008, 07:21 PM
Keltec P40, even Keltec decided it was a POS and deleted it from their line up.

76shuvlinoff
December 17, 2008, 07:37 PM
No real problems with any of my pistols except 1 Springfield Ultracompact V10 that only needed a new extractor. Worked fine after that but I couldn't stand the porting anymore so it's gone.

The keepers :
5" Kimber Raptor II, the .22 conversion works fine too.
SA XD40sc, the 9mm conversion works fine too.
P38 (Dad's bringback).. gotta admit this one doesn't see much action.
The wheelgun's ok too.. Blackhawk .357 convertible.

I guess I'm lucky but just to temp fate I'm actively hunting for a good deal on an LCP.
:D

Macmac
December 17, 2008, 07:45 PM
I have a EAA poly $350 Witness .45, that runs like a clock and always has. Great gun for low dough..

My Kimber has a external extractor. That part worked ok.. being an alloy gun the Kimber mags chewed into the feed ramp... Kimber should have never used that style follower.

I fixed that with mag made for alloy guns..

It fires every time, but flung cases in my face.. Getting hit by a hot case in the fore head with your own gun isn't any fun..

The grind they did when I sent it back sucks to put it mildly. The cut out a bunch of metal low on the ejector.. then didn't bother to clean up the heavy bubba grinding marks..

I thought I was supporting a gun maker in NY and that the dollar spent in NY might mean something.

I guess not. Kimber is good at making metal pretty, too bad they don't have the working parts right.

That plastic main spring housing isn't the best of ideas either.. It is fine today, but will it be in 20 years?

Average Joe
December 17, 2008, 07:45 PM
Sterling .22 jam-o-matic.

f4t9r
December 17, 2008, 08:45 PM
I am a little surprised with some of the ones listed.
I had one heck of a time with 2 SIG moquitos when they first came out.
Alot of the 22 autos I have shot or owned had problems until the right ammo was found

Molasses
December 17, 2008, 08:59 PM
I honestly haven't had all that much bad luck w. .22s. The worst two I've ever had in terms of FTF, FTE, stovepiping, etc were both .45s, one cheap, one not:

Llama Mini Max (don't know the exact model designation any more: "compact" 10 rd double stack .45 ACP. Simply horrific.

Second place goes to a Heckler & Koch USP Elite .45 ACP. Accurate as all get out. Only thing was, wouldn't run worth ____, even with the $$$$ pricetag.

RH822
December 17, 2008, 09:04 PM
Jennings J22, hands down the most unreliable POS I ever wasted my money on.

1SOW
December 17, 2008, 09:05 PM
My High Standard Sharpshooter .22simply wont fire ten consecutive rds of anything BUT CCI target ammo. It fires flawlessly with these.

ratcollector
December 17, 2008, 09:09 PM
amt 22 automag, looked cool would group under a nickle but couldn't make it through more than 4 rounds at a time with out major jam ups. didnt make any difference in ammo. traded it straight up for a M1 Garand, and it never jams.

gbran
December 17, 2008, 10:29 PM
Good thing there ain't a poll on this thread. Not many would buy Kimbers after seeing the results. Colts and Paras taking heat too.

XDShooter07
December 17, 2008, 10:49 PM
Believe it or not the only gun that has ever jammed on me is an M&P semi-auto in .40 cal. However, I was very new to shooting and probably sissy wristed it resulting in a stove pipe. Everything else I've shot has been 100%.

mljdeckard
December 17, 2008, 10:50 PM
I had an Auto-Ordnance 1911 that was junk. The worst was my 1st gen Sigma .40. That one left such a bad taste, I still won't touch any S&W autos.

okespe04
December 17, 2008, 11:27 PM
Ruger lcp which feeds fine for the first box of 50 then starts jamming after that. Ok for a pocket pistol I guess.Then of course I got the recall notice and did not want to go without an everyday carry so I bought a North American Arms Guardian 32cal. Lone and behold this nice little piece also starts jamming after I put a box of 50 through it. Again, ok for a pocket pistol I guess. At least it will not FWD.

I like revolvers. But those tiny little autos fit in the pocket so well.

My yugo SKS never jams.

FM12
December 18, 2008, 12:26 AM
Average Joe: I also had a Sterling .22 Jamomatic. Bought it in1973, if I remember correctly, when in the Navy in Charleston SC. A real piece of garbage. Period!

Revolver Ocelot
December 18, 2008, 12:37 AM
fn model 1922

2RCO
December 18, 2008, 12:39 AM
Tec 9-- 2 shots then jammed sometimes I might get off 4 shots. Not much need for a 20 rd mags.

Polish_Pounder
December 18, 2008, 12:55 AM
Most unreliable is a Springer Custom Shop V10 owned by a good friend of mine. He bought it brand new and took it down to the range. Racked slide, click, no boom. A round hadn't been picked up. Checked that the magazine was seated properly, rack, boom! Not even on the paper at 15 ft. Jam on 3rd shot. 1 or 2 jams every single mag through the first 500 rounds, but was written off as "breaking in". Over the last 3 years every single time we shoot it it jams at least once per mag, and every time he says, "weird, it doesn't usually do that". Right. I guess he didn't want to accept that it was his $1200 gun, must be something else. He still hasn't sent it in for service, and it is his daily carry piece:what:. And the icing on the cake is that it is hands-down the most in accurate firearms I have ever even seen fired!

-Polish

monadh
December 18, 2008, 02:10 AM
My most unreliable was a CZ P01. It could not be made to reliably feed/extract/fire more than 6 rounds in a row without coming to a screeching halt. I sent it back to CZ, and even they could not get it working as it should. I sold it to a friend who knew what he was getting, and even his gunsmith uncle has failed to fix it.

Having said all of that, one of the most reliable I ever owned was a CZ 85. Accurate, and reliable as every other CZ I have heard about. I loved that gun and traded it to a Dodge dealer to make up the difference we needed to buy a minivan. I never heard of another dealer who would work that way with you, but hey, it was in Georgia.

God bless Dixie.

nicholst55
December 18, 2008, 05:40 AM
Kimber Ultra Carry jam-o-matic. No, I don't limp wrist. Yes, I have owned and been shooting 1911s since the 70s.

I replaced the Kimber with an old Star PD that runs like a Swiss watch but has significantly more recoil than the Kimber.

nero45acp
December 18, 2008, 08:09 AM
S&W PPK .32acp

Never got a single round thru it. When I first got it and dry fired it a few times the hammer slipped forward off the hammer stut, thus pinning the hammer forward. So I took it to a local gunsmith who set the hammer back on the strut. A few more dry fires, and the hammer once again slips off the strut.

I then call S&W/Walther America customer service and explain the problem and ask them to send me a new hammer strut. Two weeks pass and no strut arrives, so I call again. The CS guy promises that they'll send one out. A week later one arrives, unfortunately it's for a PPK/S, which is too long. So I call back to make arrangements to just send the gun back for repair, which I did. Several weeks later the PPK comes back supposedly repaired. I dry fire it a few times, and yep the hammer slips off the strut again.

I gave the gun to a friend and told him that he was welcome to it. In 25 years of buying, selling, trading, and shooting firearms I've never seen a sorrier POS, or more incompetent customer service. I'll never do business with S&W again.

nero

burningsquirrels
December 18, 2008, 08:16 AM
i shoot pretty much just CZs, so i can't say i've shot something unreliable... unless you count the p22 i also have, but that's misfires from bad $12 bulk ammo. also have an XD-9sc, never had problems from that either. i also have a little bersa 380 - it rides on my hip, so i guess that speaks for its reliability. :shrug: i guess my guns are boring. :(

RippinSVT
December 18, 2008, 11:49 AM
Jennings J22

Went full-auto a few times, jammed when it wasn't going full-auto.

Marcus L.
December 18, 2008, 11:56 AM
Worst was a post war Walther PPK which had trouble feeding FMJ even with newer magazines, new factory spec springs and proper maintenance.

Second was probably a 80s series Colt Gold Cup which also had trouble feeding FMJ despite newer magazines, and new factory spec springs and proper maintenance.

Third would be a CZ 97b out of the box trying to shoot hollow points. The rounds would nose dive and the force of the closing slide on it would shove the magazine out of the grip and round off the magazine catch. It's amazing that a modern day pistol at this price could be so half-a$$ constructed.

Myles
December 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
Another vote for the Tangfolio CZ75.

FTF, FTE, stovepipes, you name it. Utter garbage; I still don't understand why some people love junk. Different strokes, I guess.

Racinbob
December 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
Kahr PM9. Sent it back after 386 rounds fired with failure after failure. Kahr refused to cover the shipping! The jams seemed to stop after getting it back but it would still fail to feed on a regular basis. Knowing I'd never trust it I got rid of it. Took a beating because I had to be upfront. Most everyone at the range I go to that had experience with Kahrs had issues with them as well. Sometimes Kahr got them fixed, sometimes not.

Bad Penny 03
December 18, 2008, 12:07 PM
Jennings 22
Would go full auto at its own will..

Jennings J22

Ditto.

Gawd, what a waste of metal.

atblis
December 18, 2008, 12:38 PM
AT-84 ... CZ knock-off, supposed to be Swiss made...yeah right...really made in Italy.
On its best day would actually fire 2 rounds in succession but then again, it would fail to extract round #2.
And thanks for the great review G&A and yes, that's why I no longer subscribe.
I had one of those too. It was also a pretty big piece of crap.

capttom
December 18, 2008, 12:46 PM
I've had three I didn't trust at all. A Llama .22 semi that would've been a neat little gun except the soft steel firing pin peened over and it went full auto on me, a .44 Automag that wouldn't work for more than one shot at a time, and a Mauser HSc .380. It should've been a champ, but wouldn't feed ball for beans. I had a couple other examples of the same gun and they ran fine.

Deanimator
December 18, 2008, 01:40 PM
My High Standard Sharpshooter .22simply wont fire ten consecutive rds of anything BUT CCI target ammo. It fires flawlessly with these.
1. Standard velocity ammo is really what it's meant for. High speed ammunition will eventually crack the frame.

2. High Standards are VERY magazine sensitive. Avoid Triple-K magazines (follower is a similar mint green color to the old Army female Class-A nurses(?) uniform) like the plague. Original or new High Standard magazines will work, but almost ALWAYS require tuning. The best way to tune them is to take a hex head bolt that had a head that will fit inside the magazine body with room to spare and saw a slot in the side of the head (parallel to the head) big enough so that the feed lip of the magazine will fit in it. The lips are in two parts, front and rear. The front portion determines how high or low the round feeds from the magazine. The rear controls the timing. Carefully slip the slot over the forward or rear lip on each side and bend in or out until properly adjusted. This is an extremely reliable way to fix feed problems in High Standard .22s. This will not work with crappy magazines because they won't retain the changes in geometry you make in the lips. Good High Standard magazines will. You can do this with small enough pliers, but you're far less likely to damage the lips with a properly modified bolt.

3. Make sure that your recoil spring is up to spec. Replace if in doubt.

chuckusaret
December 18, 2008, 04:46 PM
The LCP taught me what all the acronyms meant i.e. FTF, FTE, FWD but I still managed to offload it at a small $$ loss

richyoung
December 18, 2008, 05:52 PM
Jennings 22LR - only firearm I've ever had self-disassemble while firing. Firing pin would have speared my right eye like a martini olive had I not been wearing protection (which it took a huge divot out of). Might have been fatal - thank God for shooting glasses. Always wear protection!

Old Navy
December 18, 2008, 05:55 PM
A taurus millenium .40 that had trouble shooting even one mag without feed problems, multiple mags, a jammomatic.

boldkharma
December 18, 2008, 05:58 PM
Wyoming Arms 10mm. No wonder they went out of business.:barf:

Bill B.
December 18, 2008, 06:42 PM
Repo Stoger Luger ........jammed every shot and then came apart while shooting.

Mastiff
December 18, 2008, 07:48 PM
My vote is for the Grendel P-10. On a very good day I could shoot 3 rounds without a stoppage. I never got more than 3 rounds at a time.

outerlimit
December 18, 2008, 08:07 PM
Probably a Walther PPK in .32acp. It was a new gun though and hadn't been properly broken in.

Also Hi-Point 9mm. Same story there though, didn't look like the guy lubed it either.

bannockburn
December 18, 2008, 08:49 PM
Let's see:

1) Sterling .22-an exercise in futility trying to get that gun to work more than one shot at a time.
2) Kahr CW40-perfect size and ergonomics all for naught due to sub-standard polymer material.
3) Mauser HSc-my brother's gun, this well made German design had trouble feeding FMJ ammo.

Rancho Relaxo
December 18, 2008, 09:21 PM
I've had pretty good luck with handguns, but the majority that I've shot with problems were 1911s of some sort. Seems there are as many types of excuses as their are manufacturers of 1911 pistols.

KC0QGL
December 18, 2008, 09:32 PM
My RG 25 .25 auto FTFeed, FTFire, FTE and stovepipe. 100% fail 100% junk!!

dobrzemetal
December 18, 2008, 11:02 PM
I Had a surplus p6 (sig 255) that was a peice of crap, unfreakinbelieveable. The thing was so innaccurate and jamed all the time, i feel bad for the cop who had to carry it, He probably would of died.

Bad Penny 03
December 18, 2008, 11:17 PM
3) Mauser HSc-my brother's gun, this well made German design had trouble feeding FMJ ammo.

I've heard similar stories from other owners.

They traced it to the magazine spring.

It was replaced with a makarov mag spring and it fixed the problem.

Might be worth a shot to those who haven't tried it already.

heavyshooter
December 19, 2008, 12:05 AM
Beretta Tomcat 3032. At least 2 jams per mag (7rds). It was caused by a cracked frame which happened within the first 50 rounds. Beretta replaced it with an INOX which I dumped ASAP. It was a major league POS!!!

heavyshooter
December 19, 2008, 12:27 AM
Anybody else notice there are 4 Kimbers on the first page of this list?

Duly Noted - :rolleyes:

zignal_zero
December 19, 2008, 07:48 AM
wow, haven't heard the G word very much :D

chuckusaret
December 19, 2008, 10:25 AM
I haven't heard the G word or the XD word

meanmotorscooter
December 19, 2008, 10:50 AM
My first handgun was a stainless Springfield Armory 1911. That thing would jam about every fifth round. I was using name brand ball ammo too. I promptly sold it.

esq_stu
December 19, 2008, 11:05 AM
Colt Series '70 Gov't model. From the day I brought it home new. I have owned a few 1911s. None of them was as reliable as any Glock I have owned (19, 21, 26, 36), any Makarov, my Kahr PM9, or any other semi-auto I have owned. And my 1911s always needed to be tweaked after not a lot of shooting.

HexHead
December 19, 2008, 11:06 AM
I hate to say it, but a Springfield EMP. Dealer sod it to me used and I took it downstairs to their range. Slide wouldn't lock back and shells were hitting me in the head. Occasional FTF using TAP ammo. Dealer sent it back to S.A., and when it returned with a bunch of work done on it, I had multiple FTFs, still wouldn't lock back and shells still hitting me in head.

Since I never made it out of the store with it, they traded me for a new Para PDA. It had some teething pains, but after several hundred rounds has settled down and I'd feel comfortable carrying it. Actually it was for my wife.

benderx4
December 19, 2008, 11:24 AM
Awesome thread! Note to self: Avoid:
Jennings 22
Kimber 3" 1911s
Colt
Keltec PT32
Walther/S&W PPKs
Kahr PM-9s
AMT anything
Llama anything
Para anything
Ruger LCP

Anything I missed?

Mine, it was a Para Warthog. Cool gun, I wanted it to work so bad, but it just wouldn't cooperate.

HKIWB
December 19, 2008, 11:25 AM
A borrowed Sig P220 that had an FTE once out of every fifty rounds or so.

A Glock 17 rental that locked open in the middle of the first mag I'd ever shot through a Glock. The palm of my support hand (thumbs forward grip) was pushing up the slide release lever. That pistol had lots of wear, multiple other problems, and is no longer available for rent at my local range after a breakage of some sort.

Every rimfire I've shot with bulk ammo, but especially the Walther P22.

atblis
December 19, 2008, 11:38 AM
Daewoo anything
The Daewoo rifles are actually pretty darn goo....uhhh... well never mind. Yeah they're complete and utter junk. Don't ever buy one! In fact, there so crappy you better send them to me to dispose of. email me for my FFL's address. I'll even pay shipping.

K.L.O.sako
December 19, 2008, 12:19 PM
a raven .25 acp for me, it was a one at a time auto,on a good day three in a row.

Knives
December 19, 2008, 02:05 PM
Springfield 1911 Milspec. It broke three extractors (one while I had it and two for the guy I sold it to) and had less than 150 rounds through it.

muddywatters
December 19, 2008, 02:07 PM
Lorcin .380. Total POS. I did part with a H&K USP .40 that had ejection issues but in hind-sight I blame a 2nd party magazine.

Cowboybootnut
December 19, 2008, 02:21 PM
I bought a Jennings J-22 in 1980, that thing kept jamming on any type of ammo. I sent it back to the factory, they sent a new one. After I decided to try Remington Hi-Power ammo, it worked perfectly for years until I traded it.

hemiram
December 19, 2008, 03:35 PM
It kind of shocks/amazes me that so many guns, a pretty simple device, actually, can have so many problems! When I think back of all the many "turkey" guns I bought new, it's amazing to me that of the last 7 seven I've bought (6 used, 1 new) ALL have been flawless in function. The closest to a "Whoops" would have been my latest, an early Dan Wesson 44 mag. If I didn't have the habit of taking my guns apart before I shoot them, I never would have discovered the barrel nut was about 3 turns loose, and the only thing holding the barrel and shroud together, and keeping it from moving was the crud, er lube, that DW put on the threads when it was made, about 27 years ago. I wouldn't have put a 44 mag cart in it it start with anyway, so it probably wouldn't have hurt anything, but it would have given me a scare.

jocko
December 19, 2008, 04:40 PM
all 3 of mine, never worked....

cjw3cma
December 19, 2008, 04:44 PM
My friend's Ruger 9mm - because he hadn't clean the damn thing in like forever. FTF one after another. So I field stripped it / cleaned it up / and he was amazed at how it operated. So I asked him how often he cleaned his guns - ... like a deer in the headlights.
I shoot only my guns now.

Furncliff
December 19, 2008, 05:27 PM
Star model b. It's a shame because I really like the pistol. The heft, size, the fact that it's old (~1944). But it's been a headache and very unreliable from day one. I'm not done with it yet, but it doesn't go to the range much. I was given a RIA 1911 tactical by my wife. At first it was totally unreliable. But I seem to have worked out the kinks on that. Now it's my most reliable, and I'm the most accurate with it over all my handguns.

Deanimator
December 19, 2008, 06:21 PM
Daewoo anything
My best friend's wife has a .40 S&W Daewoo pistol. It's a nice gun, reliable and reasonably accurate. I like their version of the Browning "Fast Action" trigger.

brett30030
December 19, 2008, 06:36 PM
Wather p22 (the P stands for POS)

bluehandgun
December 20, 2008, 10:38 AM
bersa .380
it was a jamomatic. traded it in for glock reliability.

XD-40 Shooter
December 20, 2008, 11:26 AM
All steel S&W 4006 in 40 S&W, POS, jammed every third shot, every magazine. I got my money back on this one.

Bullnettles
December 20, 2008, 07:19 PM
Paraordance .45ACP Compact 1911. Shot hollow points real well, but hated FMJ's with a passion, which made no sense since I tried many different companies and the bullet was rounded. Gave up and sold it.

whatnickname
January 20, 2009, 09:19 PM
With the exception of the really cheap guns like the Jennings and Lorcin the rest of the list looks like a "who's who" in the world of firearms. Bottom line: I guess anyone can build a lemon.

S&Wfan
January 20, 2009, 10:08 PM
Everyone seems to be trying to find a reliable handgun. They make 'em too!

They are called revolvers! Six for sure. Truly, the wheel guns are best for civilian self defense.

Turn off the tv and face the facts . . . it's gonna be over before your six for sure shots are needed. You are NOT gonna need 33 rounds of 9mm as you swing from a rope on the side of a cliff shooting down helicopters like Rambo with a 9mm.

Umm . . . back to the original topic. Most unreliable semiauto I've ever owned? A new Browning BDM Practical that I properly broke in before having it choke in several matches. I really wanted to like that pistol. In the end, it was traded off.

The more I shoot, the more I love revolvers.

T.

MICHAEL T
January 21, 2009, 12:48 AM
Para Ord was a single shot I would have been better off with a cap and ball revolver

Gungnir
January 21, 2009, 01:19 AM
Worst I've seen was a Kel-Tec P11 rental, my wife tried shooting Failed to feed every other round. Should have been renamed a Kel-Tec POS11. Mechanically things looked ok, ramp didn't look rough, but not too polished either, but didn't have any serious powder buildup either on the ramp, in the chamber or in the bore, using 9mm FMJ target rounds so feeding shouldn't have been a problem.

Best defensive use I could imagine for it would be to throw it at the bad guy, but it weighed like 1lb fully loaded, so you'd be better off with a brick.

geronimo509
January 21, 2009, 08:17 AM
Its funny that guns that are popular and have a lot of sales are the ones being brought up here.

Anyway, my Kimber UC II has been flawless after the first hundred rounds and the removal of the factory mag. With Wilson mags mine has been great!

Colt series 80 Officers model= Awesome
Para P14 .45 Gun Rights model= My all time fav. carry gun

I guess I've been lucky, but all of mine have been almost flawless and after a few hundred rounds and maybe a mag change they all have been PERFECT

Thomas Garrett
January 21, 2009, 09:06 AM
A Ruger P-90, .45acp. Brand new, inaccurate as hell, kept jambing, stovepiping, traded it to a friend for a Ruger Security Six, Stainless steel .357, and a police pistol belt. Since then i also replaced the .45 with a Springfield, Mil-spec. Both shoot fine a 25 yards. Still got 'em.

woad_yurt
January 21, 2009, 09:28 AM
Two come to mind, both of them owned by friends. I've shot 2 P22s and they both were very cranky. I also shot a friend's Kimber .45, which had issues. It shot very well but didn't feed reliably.

Duke of Doubt
January 21, 2009, 10:06 AM
FEG PMK380.

Ironically, I carried it concealed for years, until I finally had enough and got out of .380ACP entirely.

It would not feed anything but ball, which it fed perfectly. Incredibly, not even ONE round of hollow point would load normally. I had to manually put the shell into the chamber with my fingers.

The mainspring was so strong that racking the slide was a difficult and taxing maneuver. The double action trigger pull was at least 15 pounds. I perfected a one-handed draw, safety disengagement and hammercock, but it was quite a trick.

Finally traded it and a little dough for a like-new Beretta 92FS, and have never looked back. No more little carry guns for me.

Storm
January 21, 2009, 10:12 AM
Quote:

Although mine runs just fine I have also heard that some smoothing where the ramp meets the chamber has fixed the problem. Maybe the Mak spring lifts the round above this problem area. I'd prefer the spring as the fix over monkeying around with the ramp.

My only jam-o-matic was my P22. I am a Walther shooter and collector and it's the only Walther that I have parted with, and without regret.

Mello
January 21, 2009, 10:22 AM
AMT Hardballer longslide stainless steel 45acp.

Billy Shears
January 21, 2009, 10:31 AM
Quote:

Too late. I had one with exactly this problem. It couldn't make it through an entire magazine of FMJ without at least one, but more likely two or three stoppages. And this was with two maazines. It also bit the web of my hand worse than any other gun I've ever owned, and the trigger had a sort of sharp rebound that slapped the trigger finger with every shot -- not painful in any way, but certainly irritating. Combined with the hammer bite, it made for a distinctly unpleasant gun to shoot, and not one I cared to spend any money on to fix the jamming problem. I put it up for sale after a single range session.

Claude Clay
January 21, 2009, 10:33 AM
a mid 70's walther ppk/s--the only thing it didn't fail to do was exist
a colt pony pocket lite--factory, factory, replaced, factory, refunded

Gtone
January 21, 2009, 10:38 AM
Walther PPK. even after break in, I never got through one magazine full of ammo without a FTF or FTE. traded it.

Boats
January 21, 2009, 11:51 AM
I once had a Tokarev that seemed to have been built by some comrades on a bender. That thing was dangerously unreliable, and then just when you were about to give up on getting two shots in a row out of it, the thing would double fire.

SuperNaut
January 21, 2009, 11:54 AM
Baby Browning.

It would constantly FTF, usually because it had a bloody patch of skin pinched between the slide and frame.

Steve_in_Marietta
January 21, 2009, 12:33 PM
Phoenix Arms HP-22A. Haven't gotten through 50 rounds in a session without a FTF, but compared to some of these stories that doesn't seem too bad. It's fun to shoot though, especially with the 5" barrel.

pith43
January 21, 2009, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Jennings 22
Would go full auto at its own will..

Quote:

Quote:
Jennings J22

Quote:

Ditto.

Gawd, what a waste of metal.

Pot Metal you mean. :barf: Biggest POS I've ever seen in my life. On the rare occasions when it would fire, it would take a big chunk of hide off the web of my hand.

My wife threw it in the trunk of her car, and this is what it looked like after only 6 months.
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr290/pith43/DSC_0109.jpg

gb6491
January 21, 2009, 01:14 PM
Beretta 21, actually two of them; surprisingly accurate, but rarely would feed and eject three in a row.:barf:

chriske
January 22, 2009, 09:31 AM
Strangely enough, of the ones I own, a .380 acp Walther PPK (bought new)
Of the ones I shot : various 1911-types : Colt, Springfield, Para Ordnance

Whitman31
January 22, 2009, 11:09 AM
My Dan Wesson CBOB 10MM. I think they just made the thing too damn tight. It's got around 600 rounds down it and is finally starting to act reliable...

Bill_G
January 22, 2009, 12:45 PM
a Browning High Power with ANY type of JHP. seems they only feed hard ball.

LeonCarr
January 22, 2009, 03:39 PM
Pre-Kahr Auto Ordnance 1911 .45. Trot Line Sinker, even after gunsmithing it still wouldn't finish a magazine with a malfunction (FTF, FTE, stovepipe, double feed, etc etc).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

jgooderh
January 22, 2009, 04:20 PM
Turkish PPK knock off called an MKE. 380 and jammed after two rounds.

aHFo3
January 22, 2009, 06:36 PM
Walther P22 - it only likes MiniMags

Mak92fs
January 22, 2009, 06:43 PM
accu tec .380....it was cool stainless and all....but it was about as good as a paperweight

saturno_v
January 22, 2009, 06:45 PM
Tanfoglio Witness 10 mm Auto

It was jamming so much that I would get embarassed at the range.

Good riddance.

walker944
January 22, 2009, 07:18 PM
Okay, so I realize my choice for unrealiable semi-auto is a rifle...

Ruger 10/22 with 30 round Ramline magazine. The Ruger shoots fine with the factory 10 round installed, but LORD those Ramline extended mags really are terrible....the shooting experience goes something like this:
1) Shoot two rounds
2) Pull magazine and clear jam
3) Adjust shells in magazine
4) Reinsert magazine
5) Repeat steps 1-4 through the end of the magazine

Oh, but it's really fun! :banghead:

kitsapcharly
January 22, 2009, 08:25 PM
Taurus 25 caliber. Bad beyond belief!! Oddly enough, I have the same gun in a 22 and it works fine despite the fact that 22 is usually much harder to feed accurately in most guns. Customer service takes months and is only partial. Avoid Taurus. :cuss:

Seven©
January 22, 2009, 08:48 PM
For me, it's a tie between a couple I've had. A Tec-22 and an Iver Johnson .380.

paradox998
January 22, 2009, 09:09 PM
Beretta Tomcat -- had two new ones suffer cracked frames in the first 60 rounds

tango2echo
January 22, 2009, 09:21 PM
Browning BDM 9mm. After 3 trips back to the factory it would still FTF/FTE about 35% of the time with ball ammo. Also had the worst trigger on any factory gun I've ever felt. The mags would also stick in the well and you would have to manually extract them. Needless to say, it belongs to someone else now.

T2E

blasternaz
January 23, 2009, 12:31 AM
New Witness Match "Elite" in .45. Haven't gotten around to looking at it since the first (and last) range session. Had high hopes for it, as I've had good experiences with other EAA products. Tears up the brass on insertion, sometimes to such an extant that it won't fully chamber. Factory mag gave nothing but nose down jams.

Gun ran well with hand cycling it at home with my usual SWC ammo, but really dissapointed me on the range. Sweated thru three mags, two new MecGars and the factory original, boxed it up and went back to my carry gun for the match.

Second is a Ruger Mark II with Gemtech Quantom integral. Finding ammo it likes, and keeping running is a real PITA. But a quiet one... :D

Blasternaz

model of 1905
January 23, 2009, 12:43 AM
Any Kimber.

mrt949
January 24, 2009, 07:49 PM
amt auto mag 22 .magnum

Shytheed Dumas
January 24, 2009, 09:27 PM
Kel Tec P3AT. After a couple of hundred rounds it developed light primer strikes. A new spring would've probably fixed it, but I moved to a Kahr and never looked back.

rockheadd
January 24, 2009, 11:20 PM
Stoeger "Luger" in .22lr. This was 25 years ago, but it jambed every third round. Took it back for another, this one made it 4 rounds. Bought a Ruger MK1 and it remains my absolute favorite handgun to this day.
Lately, the Lorcin .380 I purchased on a whim is the least reliable. Yes, I know, calling it a firearm is being generous, but the price was right (I guess you get what you pay for). When Obama recalls all handguns I'm gonna sell it to him for whatever he's willing to pay.

Texshooter
January 24, 2009, 11:32 PM
glock 33.

Would not feed melted butter.

HorseSoldier
January 24, 2009, 11:36 PM
Toss up between a High Standard target pistol (bad mags) and one of the Browning High Powers I've owned when it was loaded with Blazer aluminum cased ammo. Otherwise a great gun, but it hated that ammo and would stovepipe every 4-5 rounds.

laguna0seca
January 24, 2009, 11:55 PM
Tec 9, oh my sweet jesus that thing is garbage.

kashton
January 25, 2009, 12:11 AM
Kimber Tactical Ultra II. Sold it within a week. Now I own a Sig 239 and an Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911 45 ACP. Won't even buy a Kimber again even though it was a 3" model.

MadMercS55
January 25, 2009, 12:11 AM
Pretty much Kimber 1911's take the lead for me. Had several of them with no luck at all. Runner up is pretty much everything from Kel-Tec except my P32.

polekitty
January 25, 2009, 12:20 AM
I had a little Star .25 auto. Failed to feed almost every shot. But, it sure was a cute little thing!!

Airburst
January 25, 2009, 01:01 AM
My first Taurus PT 945.

wankerjake
January 25, 2009, 01:24 AM
llama .380...I noticed someone else thought so too

ThrottleJockey
January 26, 2009, 06:33 AM
I've had amazing luck with everything I've purchased, my father however, has a S&W escort? .22 that has never fired for squat. FTF, FTE.....I've fired a few Taurus lemons too, never had any luck with Taurus autos, they do make an ok revolver though.

I would also like to add that the bigger companies make an awful lot of guns. The more you make, the more likely to be a few bad ones. The odds of a gun being a lemon are going to increase with the number produced. Just like cars, no one liked the chevette, and a lot of people had problems with them, but both of the ones I owned worked fine.

Bad Penny 03
January 26, 2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah, Escorts were classic turkeys...all of em I think.

I've never heard of one working.

PhillyGlocker
January 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
Lots of pages here, and I've ready one post regarding Glock. Do we still need to question Glock's relability. I'm still second guessing the poster who actually put a Glock on here as unreliable. It's unheard of.

Claude Clay
January 26, 2009, 01:28 PM
i have always thought of the Nagant 1895 d/a trigger as being ok--
but i also had a COP 357 in the early 80's [it was a very accurate thrower]

tinygnat219
January 26, 2009, 01:31 PM
Anything with the Taurus Logo attached.

Wolfebyte
January 26, 2009, 01:35 PM
AMT .45 Hardballer. Stainless steel slide galled unless you kept it oiled more often than a Harley. Slide would lock half open. Sold it..

2nd would be a Lama .22 Had a couple of issues where it would slam fire stripping the next round from the clip. Returned it..

Ghost Tracker
January 26, 2009, 01:43 PM
Ditto on the Taurus PT945. Worst handgun buying mistake I've ever made (and I've been at it for over 35 years!).

socal44
January 26, 2009, 03:12 PM
Taurus PT145. Trouble from the get-go. Tried new magazines, all kinds of ammo. Made no difference.

huntershooter
January 26, 2009, 07:38 PM
SA "Loaded" 9mm.
POS

Texshooter
January 26, 2009, 08:36 PM
Well Philly, it is heard of.

My Glock 33 was the biggest pos I have ever had.

1.S.1.K
January 28, 2009, 08:41 AM
Beretta 950 Jetfire .25 :banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss:

Bulldog500
January 28, 2009, 08:52 AM
Kimber custom II 45 acp. Then I got some tripp research magazines and then never had a problem again.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
January 28, 2009, 09:19 AM
A pistol that *I* screwed with by adding aftermarket parts.

Done this to multiple Glocks, a 1911, and a CZ52 - I learned my lesson years back - leave them the heck alone!!!!! :)

Well ok, minor parts are ok, but changing barrels and/or recoil springs is problematic without tweaking / headaches, typically.

Nautilus
January 28, 2009, 09:22 AM
Tec-9, Bang, jam, bang, jam, bang, jam, bang, jam, bang... "f*ck this piece of sh*t!" Haven't shot it since.

I have two of them that were left to me by my grandfather, if they didn't have sentimental value, I would throw them in the trash.

usp9
January 28, 2009, 09:22 AM
A Taurus PT .22lr. I was able to get it to shoot once.

GrandmasterB
January 28, 2009, 10:44 AM
Since it has been mentioned by a couple of others on this thread, for me it was the S&W 39. I REALLY wanted to like that gun, but after 2 trips to the gunsmith, it still would jam.

That was my first centerfire handgun. Knowing what I know now, I could probably fix it myself and make it run. But back then I didn't know better, so I sold it and bought a Ruger P89, which ran and ran and ran and ran with anything and everything I fed it.

Gunfighter123
January 28, 2009, 12:32 PM
A AMT 7" Longslide would be near the top of the list for me.
Also had a 5" AMT Hardballerer and wished I never sold it to finance the Longslide ---- that was over 35 years ago and I learned a few things by now !!!!!

ParaElite
January 28, 2009, 01:29 PM
In other words everyone has had some pistol or another go bad on them.
It depends on a number of issues.
This is such an open ended question.
This is also a prime example of everyone has an opinion just like a nose (I could have picked more disgusting body parts!).
There is NO answer to this question!;)

A lot of failures are due to "operator error or malfunction":banghead:

doorman
January 28, 2009, 02:30 PM
Berretta 9000s in the .40 flavor. Nice looks terrible with double feeds.
Traded it in on a Glock 17 and never looked back.

Peakbagger46
January 29, 2009, 07:15 PM
Kimber Ultra Carry 2 with the short tube. What a beautiful $1000 paperweight though...

DannySeesUSMC
January 29, 2009, 07:27 PM
Beretta M9 that was all beat-up with crappy magazines. That was before the Marine Corps ordered the M9-A1's...

My last time at the pistol range for qualification I was gonna get my 3rd Pistol Expert but could not get past the last reps of malfunctions...the guys on the range were so tired of it they didn't want me and the other guys with horrible pistols going another round. So I missed my 3rd Expert by 2 points....and that was with 12 shots taken away because of failures.

Makes me not want to look at Beretta's again. They can be extremely accurate though. You just gotta keep them fresh...replace springs and the block every 10,000 rounds....which they didn't do.

motomamma
February 2, 2009, 03:17 PM
Colt New Agent. Sent it back twice. worse each time. Beating itself to death. Colt did refund my money so not a complete bust. Bought 3 new Keltecs with the refund. P32, P3AT, and P11. P32 and P3AT had to be sent back to keltec. P11 mag sounded like baby rattle and flung empty casings right into my face and head! Very bad quality control on all three.
Sold all of them at a loss.

JBinMontana
February 2, 2009, 05:46 PM
A CZ100 that would jam - traded that one away.

ColoradoSig
February 2, 2009, 05:54 PM
Walther P99C. FTF, FTE. Walther replaced the striker assembly and it had the same problem. Traded it.

Jason_G
February 2, 2009, 05:55 PM
Raven .25 ACP

Jason

Craig M. Arnold
February 2, 2009, 10:56 PM
Ruger LCP (little crappy pistol). After just a 100 rounds, it would not fire at all. It had to be replaced by Ruger because of frame failure. No more LCPs for me!

aliasneo07
February 3, 2009, 02:11 AM
I guess I would say a range-rented sig mosquito.

Lessons learned:
Don't buy a kimber.

Havent heard much about glocks, XDs, or berettas...interesting.

It saddens the hell out of me that Walther has gotten such reviews. I've always looked on them as one of the most reliable gun makers (other than glock, and excluding the Walther P22). Though, I've never owned one...when I turn 21 (couple months) my second gun was going to be a Walther PPS...but not if walther is getting such reviews. First gun will be a Glock 17 though hehe.

Thingster
February 3, 2009, 03:11 AM
Beretta Bobcat .22LR:

Never managed to feed a whole magazine through it without at least one jam of some sort.:banghead:

Glock 20 (10mm):

Brand new gun, about every 5 rounds the magazine would fall out.:eek:

brett30030
February 3, 2009, 08:21 PM
walther p22

groundhog34
February 4, 2009, 06:45 PM
For me a tie between an PPK's 380 and a colt mustang in 380 and an AMT back up in 380. I really hate 380 it is a useless cal these days

groundhog34
February 4, 2009, 06:57 PM
I forgot about Mauser HSC in 380 they looked and felt really good but never functioned well I had several. I am a slow learner

Doooom
February 4, 2009, 07:12 PM
My P22 was the most unreliable gun I've ever shot when I first got it, but after some trial and error with ammo and a hundred or so rounds run through it became one of my most reliable.

mcwjr13
February 4, 2009, 07:18 PM
Kimber BP Ten-II absolutely everything went wrong with it. I was really disappointed because I really liked the idea.

cbailey
February 4, 2009, 10:22 PM
Auto-Ordnance 1911 (pre-Kahr, early 90ís): My buddy and I bought identical pistols, save the finishes, at the same time (dealer claimed we were getting a special package deal). Neither would not get through a magazine without hanging up at least twice. Front sights fell off both to my recollection, but it didn't really matter as I would have had better luck hitting the target with a thrown rock. Local gunsmith said they were too crappy to work on.

Ended up selling mine to the same friend who owned the other problematic Auto-Ordance - so knew exactly what he was getting, an additional toy gun. He eventually (like 10 years later) sold them back to the same gun shop for about what we had paid for them, so I guess all was not lost. These two guns scared me off 1911ís for a decade, which is a shame.

CZ75B - (Aside: I like this gun). When I first bought it, premature slide lock every magazine our two. I had to re-shape the slidestop nub considerably with my dremel to get the problem to go away. Itís been fine several thousand rounds since.

Glock 20 (10mm):

Brand new gun, about every 5 rounds the magazine would fall out.

My buddies G20 was doing that a few months ago, so much that it was annoying me. I was accusing him of hitting the magazine release with the palm of his hand, and had him let me shoot it one-handed, with digits no where near mag release. Still dropped the magazine, ruining my know-it-all act. Both the magazine and the gun were low round-count, and the recess on the magazine for the catch also looked fine. But when he switched to a different magazine, for whatever reason, the problem went away.

UnTainted
February 5, 2009, 01:46 AM
high point, jam-o-matic, though it wasn't mine, friend still has it, to teach people about why to buy a quality pistol ;) He has a sig and some glocks now....

Clifford
February 6, 2009, 12:35 AM
1st high-point i owned had some ftf issues, polished the feed ramp and it was perfect for 1450 rounds. The firing pin (that doubles as the ejector) bent and had worn the track in the frame severly. Sent it back to high-point they replace the entire weapon and now it wont go thru a full mag without ftf problems. I polished the feedramp on this one with no better results. I ended up giving the gun to a friend who actually likes shooting it.

Rock
February 6, 2009, 07:00 AM
Colt Officers Model. Needed much work to become reliable.

babarracing
February 6, 2009, 11:23 AM
[B]TAURUS PT 745 Millennium Pro Jammed 12% of the time on WW 100ct. White box. Ammo shot well in other 45's. Also could not get 200 rounds thru it before the trigger broke. All standard pressure 230 GR loads. Taurus Sent it back with no explanation of what they fixed and missing a critical slide cap. Small birds could have flown into the striker assembly. They didn't have the part. Didn't tell me they would send me one when they had it. And told me to "shoot it like that. Finley on 4th phone call weeks later they told me they would send me 3 ea. of the part. I only needed one and them to get it right the first time. Also they make it difficult to communicate with them. No E-Mail address no 800 number. No one in my family will ever use a taurus for self defense. I love them too much. 3 are LEO"S .

wditto
February 6, 2009, 03:43 PM
.22 conversion kit on a 1911 frame......fun,, but finiky

gglass
February 6, 2009, 04:03 PM
The Kel-Tec P-3AT. The only use for this P.O.S. is to give to a BG to use against me in a firefight.

My experience with the P-3AT almost kept me from purchasing one of my now favorite handguns... My wonderful Ruger LCP. How in the world can a supposed Xerox copy gun be so much better than the original?

My constant companion:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8876/myredlcpel5.jpg

etex
February 6, 2009, 11:33 PM
Bryco-Jennings .22 lr. A fine paperweight! I am waitng on some idiot gun grabbers to give me
$200.00 at a gun buy back program or something.

PO2Hammer
February 7, 2009, 09:24 AM
S.A. 9mm 1911 (loaded, like the assemblers)

I never had one range session without problems.

2nd 41
February 7, 2009, 09:25 AM
Walthers PPK/S

B J Elliott
March 21, 2009, 09:51 PM
Keltec .380, worst handgun I ever shot, I call it a rattlesnake.:)

Revolver Ocelot
March 21, 2009, 10:36 PM
fn 1922

sinistr
March 21, 2009, 11:59 PM
2 paras,1 p12 and a p14.both had work done,no luck.ruger22/45..don't mind that so much though,not a betting my life on it.:evil:

gmh1013
March 22, 2009, 01:47 AM
1975 Chevy Vega and the
AMT Automag 22mag
traded for a Smith 686
If I could have traded the Vega for a Jennings 25....I would have got the better deal

ThrottleJockey
March 22, 2009, 02:18 AM
"If I could have traded the Vega for a Jennings 25....I would have got the better deal"

Not if it was a cosworth. That engine is primo, and goes for big bucks.

gmh1013
March 22, 2009, 02:21 AM
It was a 140 CI 85 H-P POS

RX-178
March 22, 2009, 02:28 AM
From my experiences?

Just about any modern polymer-frame hi-cap 9mm pistol... as long as it's loaded with FMJ/Ball ammo.

They tend to push the nose of the round up into the roof of the chamber instead of feeding it in.

It's happened several times in my Glock 17L.

A rented Springfield XD would not feed ball ammunition at ALL when I was using it at an indoor range.

TimboKhan
March 22, 2009, 02:37 AM
A Springfield compact 1911. Wasn't necessarily a bad gun, but it just would not function with the particular ammo that I wanted to use, and so I ditched it.

The worst gun I ever shot, period, was actually a Browning BP2000 shotgun but that is a story for a different thread, and a different sub-forum.

kashton
March 22, 2009, 04:30 AM
As KYJim stated, a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I will never own a Kimber again. My Ed Brown Kobra Carry takes it's place nicely

PakWaan
March 22, 2009, 08:49 AM
A Kel-tec P3AT pocket .380 - had to send it back to Kel-tec twice. Upgraded to a Rohrbaugh 9mm which is almost EXACTLY the same size.

RonnyBaby
March 22, 2009, 07:27 PM
For me, I rented a (very broken in) Kimber Ultra Carry II and it jammed almost every other round. So many people I know swear by Kimber... but I don't think I will be buying one after my experience with the Ultra carry.

My Ruger SR9 also was a Jam-aholic! I called Ruger several times about it and they said I could send it in, though it will be a bout a month or two before I could expect to get it returned.

Well, I traded in on the Glock 23 and not looking back! LOVE IT!!

metallic
March 22, 2009, 07:33 PM
My Kimber Pro TLE II. Thinking after I get the extractor tuned, I should be okay.

Duramaximum
March 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
40S&W Hi Point. My friend had bought one just to have something...apparently something to thrown at an intruder was his thought process.

Every round I fired the mag fell out and then when I held the mag in with my hand it stovepiped. Just save your pennies for something half way decent like Ruger P95 or something.

goose2
March 22, 2009, 11:42 PM
Kel-tek

Coal Dragger
March 22, 2009, 11:44 PM
Worst I have had was a Para P14 that couldn't make it through a full magazine without a jam. POS.

searcher451
March 23, 2009, 11:59 AM
What strikes me as simply amazing about this thread is that one man's misfortune is another man's best-gun-ever pride and joy. It just proves the old adage that not everything works all the time, regardless of the cost or the name that's stamped on its side.

Put another way, people reading this thread might never buy a Tomcat or Bobcat, a Kel-tec or a Ruger, a Glock or a Taurus. And for many others, that would be a sin and a mistake and a crime. All you really need to do is find a gun that works for you and use it.

That having been said, the Bobcat is every bit as bad as the Tomcat, IMO.

:cuss:

Funderb
March 23, 2009, 12:00 PM
kimbers.

stevereno1
March 23, 2009, 07:40 PM
Pheonix .22, What a load of cast pot metal, jamming pos that was!

CrankyOldGuy
March 23, 2009, 07:46 PM
Bersa .380 Thunder DLX.

New out of the box, it couldn't fire a complete mag without a 1,2,or 3 failures to fire (light strike), regardless of ammo. Came back from factory repair even more broken than when it left.

coosbaycreep
March 23, 2009, 08:59 PM
Feather AT-22 (rifle), but still the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned/seen/or shot.

Tec-9 is a close second though.

S&W .22lr (model 22?) I had was garbage too. It rarely ever made it through an entire mag without jamming, and when it did, the slide was hard to pull back to fix it if it was hot out and your hands were sweaty because it had no kind of checkering on it. It was lightweight and had good ergonomics though, just not reliable worth a crap.

Most of my other handguns have all provided an acceptable level of reliability.

AKElroy
March 23, 2009, 09:01 PM
2nd vote for the first gen Sigma---How that design ever left R&D is a black eye S&W will wear for awhile.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the most unreliable semi auto you have shot ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!