quick Sig P229 question

PDA

MIgunguy
December 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm looking at buying a Sig, stainless steel for corrosion resistance, P299 for its size (CCW). Do ALL P229's by definition have a stainless steel slide? The black ones aren't carbon steel, they just have that Sig black finish (forget what it's called right now)? I had a P220 many moons ago and it rusted suprisingly easily. I read that the P299 always had a stainless slide to handle the heavier recoil of the .40 and .357Sig that the stamped (I think) slide of other Sigs of that compact size couldn't handle. True?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "quick Sig P229 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marcus L.
December 17, 2008, 07:29 PM
The P229 was released to the US market in 1992 and it came with a stainless machined slide. Sig originally tried to adapt the P228 to fire the .40S&W but it just wasn't going to happen. The .40S&W needed the strength of a machined slide, and the P228 conversions were breaking the carbon stamped slides. So, Sig designed the P229 from the ground up to handle the .40S&W which required a machined slide, a beefed up frame, a thicker slide, a solid guide rod, a stronger recoil spring, a more robust external extractor design, and of course beefier internals. So, the P229 has always had a stainless machined slide and the black ones simply have a nitron finish over the top of them.

Lonestar49
December 17, 2008, 08:12 PM

9mm a/o 40cal P229's

You'll have 4 choices, depending on caliber:

Non-railed (*used, or if you're lucky, find one still *NIB)

Railed version, *Aluminum frame ^

SS model (all stainless steel) heavier but, technically, it is a lifetime shooter.. but the *aluminum frames will go a loooooooooooong ways, if you take care of them and little use of any +P or +P+ ammo (JHP's) at a minimum, for HD/SD loads only, if desired.

Elite model (with beaver tail) SS model only IIRC..

Can't say enough good things about my P229's, both 9mm and 40cal

My favorite is my non-railed P229/40 with 2-dot combat sights, without doubt.

Ls

If you enjoyed reading about "quick Sig P229 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!