Low Flash 5.56/223 Load?

PDA

MK11
December 18, 2008, 10:07 AM
I'm in CT, where AR-15s are kosher as long as they don't have a flash hider. What low-flash loads would you recommend? Do premium loads line DPX and TAP really cut down on the flash?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Low Flash 5.56/223 Load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gvnwst
December 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
Hornady TAP FPD does indeed cut down on flash. Where are you wanting to shoot them? What lighting conditions?

MK11
December 18, 2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm just considering something as a possible all-around defense load. I've pretty much standardized on 55 grain since it's easier to get decent bulk 55 grain than the heavier stuff and I'd rather practice with the same weight that I keep loaded.

I've taken some carbine courses during the day and the flash is obviously no problem for the shooter but you can really notice it if you're standing off to the side. I imagine in darker conditions it would become a problem for the shooter.

gvnwst
December 18, 2008, 10:43 AM
It does, i shot my AR once in (almost) pitch black, and my eyes hurt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Low Flash 5.56/223 Load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!