Lady w/ shotgun vs. home invasion rapist gets positive coverage

PDA

Hanafuda
December 19, 2008, 09:29 AM
The story itself is enough to bring a tear to the eye. God bless this lady, for she has not only protected herself but prevented who knows how many more women from falling victim in the future. But the really astounding part is how positively this is covered by the local news, and how appropriately handled by the local prosecutor. Makes me wanna move there so I could vote for the guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NJQK2BscIg

p.s. we need a youtube tag

If you enjoyed reading about "Lady w/ shotgun vs. home invasion rapist gets positive coverage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
greenr18
December 19, 2008, 09:38 AM
Someone got what he deserved.

John828
December 19, 2008, 09:42 AM
Got to love it when they racked the slide. Ooooh, scary scary.

Seriously though, much more positive attitude towards self-defense than say..I don't know...Washington, D.C. Otherwise, she would have had to unlock her shells, assemble her weapon, load her weapon, and then defend herself. I've read similar positive reports in local coverage where the same day as the shooting, the PA or the police declare it justified at the shooting. It really doesn't get much simpler than that. BG in house, homeowner shoots, homeowner justified. Pretty simple.

Kudos to Cape Girardeau -- home of the throwed rolls.

heron
December 19, 2008, 11:02 AM
Taking out the garbage.
The police are probably quite grateful.

jorb
December 19, 2008, 01:00 PM
Good for her!

Grassman
December 19, 2008, 01:18 PM
If this were California, SHE would be in jail.

SHOTGUNJOE
December 19, 2008, 01:22 PM
A good ending to a tragic situation. Tax-payers $$$ saved from having to warehouse this thug.

R00KIE
December 19, 2008, 01:27 PM
California needs to be in jail!

Good for this old lady, she rocks!

John Wayne
December 19, 2008, 01:36 PM
This is an outrage!

I think Mr. Preyer's estate ought to reimburse this woman for her broken window, kitchen door, and one shotgun shell.

fireflyfather
December 19, 2008, 05:51 PM
Actually, here in the People's Republic of **********, we do NOT have to retreat, particularly in our own homes. We have a LOT of legal problems with gun ownership and carry, but that isn't one of them.

Kind of Blued
December 19, 2008, 06:26 PM
This is an outrage!

I think Mr. Preyer's estate ought to reimburse this woman for her broken window, kitchen door, and one shotgun shell.

I'd also take a few grand to help with the emotional torment of having to shoot someone.

Too bad most felons are broke.

MTMilitiaman
December 19, 2008, 06:28 PM
I think Mr. Preyer's estate ought to reimburse this woman for her broken window (x2), kitchen door, and one shotgun shell.

Fixed it for you. Otherwise, I agree.

Good to know there won't be a 12th felony arrest in this dirtbag's future.

jeff-10
December 19, 2008, 06:29 PM

Doubetful. That would have been a good shoot in any State in the Union.

makarovnik
December 19, 2008, 10:42 PM
If this would have happened in Washington State and the intruder was unarmed, the shooter would probably be charged with manslaughter.

She would have won in court but only after spending tens of thousands of dollars defending herself.

Don't bother quoting Washington state laws to me because it doesn't matter. Prosecutors in this state are corrupt and out of control.

wrs840
December 19, 2008, 10:53 PM
Whoo hooo!

+ 1 for the (usually disparaged) good guys.

Dead enhances that cat nicely.

Les

PT92
December 19, 2008, 11:02 PM
Amen and Happy Holidays!

Zoogster
December 20, 2008, 12:24 AM
Actualy California has long had better self defense laws while in a residence or place of business than many other states.
Long before various states started to adopt "castle doctrine" there was no duty to retreat in the home in CA.
While most of the East Coast and Midwest required a person flee thier home if possible (or the attacker in general if possible), they had no such requirement in CA.
You never had to run from someone breaking into your home in CA.
In fact while over half of the states in the US had a "duty to retreat" from an attacker it was perfectly legal for a victim in CA to fire on said attacker without retreating.
A home intruder that breaks in has also long been assumed in CA to be an immediate deadly threat.

So CA has some very stupid gun laws (and other weapon laws), but don't assume other things. It has had better self defense laws on the books for generations than most of the nation (over half of the states had a 'duty to retreat' until recently.)
So while "castle doctrine" is a term thrown around in states today as radical and new, the practice has existed in CA law for decades.
Arguably most states are just catching up to what CA always had.

Further carrying a loaded firearm at one's residence, or one's business, etc concealed or openly has long been legal requiring no license or permit. Most of the Midewest and East Coast have long required a special permit to carry at one's business.
In fact in many you still cannot carry a concealed firearm without a license at your place of business.
Always could and still can in CA.

As for the case itself, I hardly think it qualifies as really pro gun. The woman after all had been previously raped by this convicted sex offender.
Hardly controversal. Still, glad she was able to protect herself.

Vinny
December 20, 2008, 05:44 AM
One thing everyone needs to consider from this episode is the extra police patrol did not deter nor prevent the predator from attempting to repeat the crime.

We are our own homeland security.

ZO6Vettever
December 20, 2008, 01:52 PM
Absolutly fantastic. The scum is gone, she is safe and no charges, perfect!

GaryL
December 20, 2008, 02:14 PM
One thing everyone needs to consider from this episode is the extra police patrol did not deter nor prevent the predator from attempting to repeat the crime.

We are our own homeland security.
It's also sad that the perp succeeded in raping her once before, and had a prior history.

michiganfan
December 20, 2008, 03:36 PM
Like reading my NRA magazine.

alsaqr
December 20, 2008, 03:49 PM
Good on the lady. The gene pool is cleaner.

orionengnr
December 20, 2008, 07:28 PM
Good on the Cape Girardeau DA, and the TV station that aired that report.

I'm a sucker for a happy ending (sniff).

px4storm
December 20, 2008, 07:37 PM
Justice served!

HeavenlySword
December 20, 2008, 07:40 PM
Actually, in DC, until recently (thank you, Heller, and SCOUTUS), it would be illegal to have a functional firearm in your home AT ANY TIME.

She would have been breaking the law once she assembled her weapon.

tim71
December 20, 2008, 10:10 PM
I live near Cape Girardeau Missouri and that was great for that woman to not be a victim a second time. Brave criminal. In Missouri now, you sign your life away entering someone's house, armed or not.

BTW, Sikeston is about 30 minutes south and it's the home of the throwed rolls. Lamberts is the place to go for those and great pass-a-rounds.

The TV station did a good job on that story. The DA followed the law and did a great job.

If only we had the concealed carry situation of Alaska or NH, then Missouri would really be THE place for Gun owners. Pretty sweet now.

Later,

Tim

stevemis
December 20, 2008, 11:25 PM
Summary --

According to the video, this guy raped her a couple of months ago and while charges were being filed, he decided to come back for some more.

The victim borrowed a shotgun after the first rape. When the guy came for a second "visit", he cut power and entered the house the same way he did before. She fired the shotgun as he broke into her home. Police arrived very quickly and found the perp wandering around her backyard.

The perp was a RSO, having completed a 10 year sentence for rape previously. He had 11 felony arrests and 5 convictions.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lady w/ shotgun vs. home invasion rapist gets positive coverage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!