Anyone have 642 with inaccurate sights?

PDA

yanici
December 19, 2008, 02:06 PM
I haven't been to the range with my new 642 revolver, but on another forum a couple of guys had to offset the POA of their laser sights from the fixed sights on the gun in order to hit center. I was curious if this is very commonly found to be the case on the S&W snubbie. I will send mine back if the sights are found to be out of wack. Gotta be able to shoot with and without the laser.

John

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have 642 with inaccurate sights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JFrame
December 19, 2008, 02:20 PM
I can't speak for the 642, but my S&W 317 kit gun came with the barrel over-torqued to the left. You have to set the rear sight literally almost off of the sight base in order to hit center.

I wonder if it's a similar situation with your piece? :confused:

FWIW -- all of my fixed-sight J-frames have been centered correctly...

rcmodel
December 19, 2008, 02:42 PM
had to offset the POA of their laser sights from the fixed sights on the gun in order to hit center.Sounds like the "couple of other guys" don't completely understand lasers and handgun recoil.

Crimson Trace grips are already off-set, just by the way they are made. The laser is hanging off the side by about 5/8".

Anyway, I have them on my 317.
It shoots exactly POA with the iron sights.
But the CT Laser dot doesn't match the sights at all.

Hard to explain why, but it is not a problem once you sight in the laser.

My guess is it has to do with the recoil difference when holding the gun out in front of you using the sights, or held in a different position using the laser.

It's a non-problem at SD ranges anyway if it is off slightly.

And you have to sight in the laser by shooting anyway if you want to get it perfect.

I'd suggest you not get concerned about it until you at least shoot the gun the first time.
And sight in the laser.

rcmodel

fourdollarbill
December 19, 2008, 03:18 PM
My 642 CT laser is set a little to the right because when I shoot without looking down the barrel I cannot help but to pull the gun. I'm trying to train out of it but it seems hopeless. If I aim looking down the barrel the POA is dead on. I think it is all a learning curve. My new 637 has no Crimson Trace on it. Same frame and the POA is dead on also.

Scott Free
December 19, 2008, 03:34 PM
The sights on my 642 are definitely off. Sometimes they shoot high. Sometimes low. Sometime left and sometimes right. Maybe those sights are made from rubber. It COULDN'T be me. :)

uh-oh
December 19, 2008, 04:09 PM
I don't have CTC grips on my guns, but having handled them at shops and a basic knowledge of geometry, I can tell you there will be only one distance where the sight POA will match the laser POA. The sights will be correct in windage at various distances, but POI will vary in elevation. The CTCs are mounted alongside the gun, so there will be variance regarding POA/ POI at any distance other than at the distance to which the laser is sighted. I have seen the 642s with CTCs come from the factory with the laser sighted to match the sights at about 15 yards.
Shoot it first, then mess around with it.

PcolaDawg
December 19, 2008, 04:34 PM
Mine has been great. Here's a picture of the very first time I did some target practice with it. I was very impressed with the gun's accuracy, especially when using the CT laser grip. This was from 7 yards out, using the laser sight exclusively. I even made some of the shots one-handed from my hip.

Very accurate little snub-nose, imo.

http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/10921/2078007270102497756S600x600Q85.jpg

XD9WBT
December 19, 2008, 05:17 PM
I think you need to spend 6 months mastering that beautyful little weapon you have before you before you make rash statements. In other words find out its purpose and it's limatations then come back with something concrete.
All I am seeing so far is a bunch of guys got a rain drop on their head and they are claiming the sky is falling.

Some people shoot some impressive groups on paper but it is not a target pistol, it is a last chance pistol.

The Lone Haranguer
December 19, 2008, 05:27 PM
Crimson Trace grips are already off-set, just by the way they are made. The laser is hanging off the side by about 5/8".

In addition, the bullet follows a parabolic arc path, unlike the straight laser beam. And the laser is not taking into account the fact that the muzzle begins to rise while the bullet is still in the barrel.

benderx4
December 20, 2008, 10:35 PM
I'll be the first to admit, I thought there was something wrong with my 642 as well. I truly couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.

But then my son grabbed it and shot an amazing 3" group at 15 yards. I was dumbfounded. Anyhow, I guess there is an "art" to shooting snubbies that I have yet to master.

P.S. I gladly gave the gun to my son.

Orange_Magnum
December 21, 2008, 09:55 PM
Accurate sights or not, your 642 is an abortion waiting to happen.

XD9WBT
December 22, 2008, 08:52 AM

I don't get the metaphorical meaning of that. Not arguing with you I just don't get it?:)

Baneblade
December 22, 2008, 12:57 PM
I am one of the firearms instructors for my agency and carry the 642 as a backup. I liked it so much I recommended it to another officer so he bought one as well.

He has had trouble qualifying with it so we took it out and "cited it in." At 15 yards it shoots very consistently 6 inches to the right and 2 inches low. Standing from the same spot we can fire my 642 and everything is center mass. We both put our groupings in the same spot with his gun. Far right and low.

He called S&W and explained the situation. They didn't hesitate to have him send it in. It should be back any day now as they usually provide a 10 day turn around on LE guns.

I am anxious to see what was fixed/replaced on the gun. However, I can say with 100% confidence it was the gun and not the shooters.

kmbrman
December 23, 2008, 04:09 PM
One thing you have to do with a fixed sighted gun is to try different loads to see where they hit in relation to the sights. My personal Taurus 605 357 snub. shoots right at the tip of the front sight with 125 JHP UMC 38+P. The same load in Win. 125JHP+P 38spec. shoots exact for windage but slightly low by about an inch. You would think they would both hit the same spot , but you have to experiment . Each gun is different.

goon
December 23, 2008, 07:43 PM
Sometimes you can fix problems with impact points with a different kind of ammo.
Some claim that you need a heavier bullet to raise the point of impact and a lighter one to lower it.
My experience is that you can't really figure a damn thing out by looking at bullet weights and velocities. You'll just have to buy and try.
FWIW, I've seem some fixed sight revolvers shoot a whole range of ammunition to the exact same point of impact. Go figure.

To adjust for elevation, you can raise your point of impact by carefully filing some steel off the front sight.
Hitting a few inches high isn't as big of a deal to me but I have trouble with a gun that I have to try to hold over the target with.
For windage, you'll likely have to send it back to the factory to get that fixed. I just had to do this with a GP-100.
It came back from Ruger just fine.

Phydeaux642
December 23, 2008, 09:17 PM

That may be the most bizarre thing that I have ever read on this sight.:confused:

My 642-2 shoots to POA at seven yards, but my 642-1 is about 3"-4" high at the same distance. That bummed me right out.

orchidhunter
December 23, 2008, 09:25 PM
If the barrel is off center, it's time to look for cracks in the frame. More than a few Airweights have left the S&W factory with a cracked frame. orchidhunter

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone have 642 with inaccurate sights?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!