NJ license to VA license: Waiting period to buy guns

PDA

DontBurnMyFlag
December 20, 2008, 05:06 PM
Hey everyone,

I left the great state of NJ for Virginia. I recently switched my drivers license over and had some expendable cash. So a trip to the gun store was in order. I was informed that my license had to be at least 30 days old before I was able to make a purchase. Is this true for just Virginia? All states? Is it a law or a policy? Im just kind of confused.

Waiting 30 days is by far no problem, as it will give me time to think of what gun I want. Preferably something I couldnt own in NJ :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "NJ license to VA license: Waiting period to buy guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
subknave
December 20, 2008, 05:46 PM
All I can tell you is it is a Virginia law. I had the same problem when I retired from the Navy. I had lived in Virginia for 7 years but for various reasons I never changed my residency from Illinois while in the Navy. While in I just used my military ID and a copy of my orders or my C&R FFL to buy what I wanted. When I got out I finally got a Virginia drivers license and had to wait 30 days before I could use it as an ID to buy a gun. It has to due with residency I think. Even at the gunshop where I had purchased several firearms while in the Navy they said they couldn't sell me anything until my drivers license was 30 days old.

MAKster
December 20, 2008, 06:16 PM
This Virginia law was instituted because in the past it was so easy to obtain a Virginia drivers license that the state developed a reputation as the prefered place for illegal immigrants and terrorists to obtain a legitimate ID.

DontBurnMyFlag
December 20, 2008, 08:06 PM
well thanks guys.

im from a state where I had to wait 6 months for a card to let me buy rifles

and at least a month for an individual permit to buy a pistol.

waiting is second nature to me now. haha.

cassandrasdaddy
December 20, 2008, 08:16 PM
welcome to va

chris in va
December 20, 2008, 11:04 PM
VA has a "one gun a month" law, and I suspect you have to wait a month before buying your first one...instead of getting one and waiting another month.

But, get your CHP and buy all you want! No wait.

Titan6
December 21, 2008, 01:04 PM
This Virginia law was instituted because in the past it was so easy to obtain a Virginia drivers license that the state developed a reputation as the prefered place for illegal immigrants and terrorists to obtain a legitimate ID.

Yes, yes Virgina is crawling with terrorists and illegals. That might have been the stated reason but truth is always the same.

MP3Mogul
December 21, 2008, 01:15 PM
Titan6 Quote:

Yes, yes Virgina is crawling with terrorists and illegals. That might have been the stated reason but truth is always the same.

Virginia is not crawling with Terrorists any more than any other state... LOL..

svxapeal
December 21, 2008, 01:31 PM
We just moved to VA from NC and I had ordered my Taurus, after getting my drivers license switched to VA it took me 31 days to actually take possession of my new gun. I am not sure if this is just on handguns...or all guns. I went in to pick it up on the 30th day..and my FFL told me I would have to wait one more day since "law" states at least 30 days.
Welcome to VA!!

Caryn

MAKster
December 21, 2008, 01:33 PM
Infamous terrorists like Mir Aimal Kasi and the majority of the 9/11 highjackers used Virginia drivers licenses.

zoom6zoom
December 21, 2008, 04:56 PM
DBMF, welcome to one of the Free States!
Yes, you must have thirty days in residency prior to purchase a firearm in the state. It will take up to 45 days to get a CHP, but they are shall issue. You can open carry without a permit right now.

Some good resources:
www.vcdl.org
Also check the Virginia subforum at www.opencarry.org

chris in va
December 22, 2008, 12:31 AM
:D:D

I can just see a NJ person open carrying in VA. That would be priceless. Would be like watching a kid walk for the first time.

natecade1
December 22, 2008, 12:54 AM
wow, so I can open carry in VA as well?
good to know since I am there all the time, and my bro lives in VA

louie19
December 22, 2008, 02:40 AM
Welcome to Virginia! I think the store was just waiting for you to change your thehighroad.org location. ;)

Seriously, if you're in the Northern Virginia area, you owe it to yourself to visit the NRA Headquarters Range http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/
It is top notch. While you're there, you should check out the National Firearms Museum http://www.nationalfirearmsmuseum.org/default.asp

You might also want to pick up the Virginia Gun Owner's Guide - http://www.gunlaws.com/vgog.htm
It details a lot of this kind of stuff. One interesting tidbit that is different from NJ law is that hollowpoints aren't legal in NJ but they are in VA (and all the other 48 states as far as I know.)

JohnBT
December 22, 2008, 08:24 AM
"VA has a "one gun a month" law"

One handgun a month - really every 30 days - and there is a form available from the State Police if you need to buy more than one - like a collection or a really good deal or such. IOW, you can't buy one 6/30 and another 7/1.

State Police site:

"Is there a restriction on the number of firearms a person may purchase during any period of time?

The 1993 Virginia General Assembly amended and reenacted 18.2-308.2:2, Code of Virginia, making it unlawful for any person who is not a licensed firearms dealer to purchase more than 1 handgun within any 30-day period. The Virginia State Police is responsible for accepting and processing the Multiple Handgun Purchase Application and Multiple Handgun Purchase Certificate, when purchases in excess of one handgun within a 30-day period can be justified. Please refer to Multiple Handgun Purchase Applications in this web site. There is no restriction on the number of rifles and shotguns that may be purchased during any period of time."

John

subknave
December 22, 2008, 08:55 AM
Once you get your Concealed Carry Permit the 30 day rule dosn't apply and you can buy as many as you want. Just try not to go too crazy and get in credit card trouble.

zoom6zoom
December 22, 2008, 03:53 PM
wow, so I can open carry in VA as well?
Absofragginlutely!
I'll invite you to check out the VA subforum at opencarry.org - we meet up for lunches and such all the time, if you're an OC virgin and want to do it for the first time in the company of others, you're invited!

crebralfix
December 22, 2008, 06:43 PM
You can purchase from an individual. Show them your VA license and get a bill of sale. You just cannot buy from an FFL or gun store (same thing).

I meet people at the NRA Range all the time to test used guns before I buy them.

vaguntrader.com

elitedealseeker.com --> gun stuff

If you enjoyed reading about "NJ license to VA license: Waiting period to buy guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!