Convert a 686 to 686+P?

PDA

Texasred
December 20, 2008, 05:20 PM
Hey I have a 686 2 1/2" bbl that is pretty cool just wondering if anyone ever converts them to carry an extra round? I would just go buy one, but mine is pre-lock and the +P weren't made in great numbers before the locks and it's a hassle to find one in good shape? Is it possible?

Note: Sorry but I mean 7 round capacity by +P.

If you enjoyed reading about "Convert a 686 to 686+P?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
revolverforums
December 20, 2008, 05:23 PM
I have a pre lock 2.5 and 4 inch 7 shot. They are also non MIM parts. All of the -4 are great guns, they went to MIM parts in -5 and locks with the -6. Converting would probably cost you as much as buying a new gun by the time you got all the pieces needed and had them fit properly.

http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=145

jaydubya
December 20, 2008, 05:41 PM
"just wondering if anyone ever converts them to carry an extra round"

I'm sure some smith out there would be happy to do it for, say, $3,000. Not a cost-effective way to get one more cartridge. I bought my 686+ (never fired by previous owner) for five hundred and change three years ago. I've put about 2,000 rounds downrange with it, and I just love its MIM parts and internal lock (the key is out in the garage somewhere).

Cordially, Jack

hoptob
December 21, 2008, 01:12 AM
I think S&W will do it much cheaper :)

Why? That's because I bought a 686+ and had them convert it to a 6-shot. The cost was $150. The only difference between 2 guns is the cylinder itself. You'd be paying for a new 7-shot cylinder and for fitting.

Mike

ugaarguy
December 21, 2008, 01:19 AM
The only difference between 2 guns is the cylinder itself. You'd be paying for a new 7-shot cylinder and for fitting.
The lock work is actually different - if you just threw a 7 shot cylinder into 6 shot lock work it would never time right. $150 is very reasonable for all of that.

hoptob
December 21, 2008, 01:29 AM
Well, ugaarguy, according to S&W cylinder is the only difference between 686 and 686+. I have both 6- and 7-shot cylinders for this gun and swap them from time to time. No adjustment is necessary.

Mike

ugaarguy
December 21, 2008, 01:37 AM
Okay, I'm seriously confused. If you swap the cylinders and they work and S&W says it's fine then obviously it is fine. Yet, I'm totally confused as to how it would work. I can't wrap my brain around how the thing still times correctly.

hoptob
December 21, 2008, 01:54 AM
Ugaarguy,

It wouldn't work on old Colt lockwork but it's fine with S&W design. On S&W (or Rugers for that matter) hand rotates ratchet, bolt locks the cylinder and hand slides back into it' slot. A hand that travels far enough to move 6-shot cylinder will also move 7-shot cylinder because it's a shorter stroke.

Mike

ugaarguy
December 21, 2008, 02:22 AM
Thank you. That makes sense now. The revolver is essentially short stroking the cylinder rotation on the 7 shot wheel, but it doesn't matter because of S&W's lock work.

madcratebuilder
December 21, 2008, 05:37 AM
Midway has the 7+ cylinders for 128 bucks. I'd rather buy ammo.

revolverforums
December 21, 2008, 11:19 AM
I have both 686 six shot and seven shots and just by eye the hand appears to be a different length in the two guns. Not really worth arguing IMHO.

If the cylinder sells from Midway for $128 you know from S&W you can almost double that price. To send the gun to them it must be shipped priority overnight either fedex or UPS. For my python just the other day to colt it was $60 including insurance and for a model 28 I sent S&W a couple of months ago that was $45. If memory serves me they charged $25 in shipping to return the 28. Even if the cylinder was say $128 and you pay for shipping and then figure labor time your already half the value of the gun and I'm betting it will be much higher then that from S&W. I stand by my original statement that to do it right would cost as much as a gun. To do it cheaply and you would ruin a nice gun.

zoom6zoom
December 21, 2008, 01:43 PM
Buy a few speedloaders, it makes more sense.

If you enjoyed reading about "Convert a 686 to 686+P?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!