XD vs Para

PDA

1911vm
December 20, 2008, 07:28 PM
I want a Hi-cap .45 and I pretty much narrowed down to a Para or 5in XD. I would be doing custom work to either one. Please I would like some opinions with explanations. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "XD vs Para" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ants
December 20, 2008, 07:29 PM
Well, do you want a doublestack version of a classic 1911 design or a contemporary polymer design?
The two pistols are quite different. Plenty of custom gunsmithing can be done on either.

1911vm
December 20, 2008, 07:56 PM
I am mostly a 1911 guy but I also like XDs, they are very similar to a 1911 for me. Most of mods can be done with no problem. I have never owned or used a Para just handled one. May be the question should have been spastically to any one that has both and can describe the difference in shooting, handling and ergonomic characteristics.

stevemis
December 20, 2008, 08:07 PM
I got a Para for you. Barely used, been back to their "repair center" twice and still isn't worth a ****.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=362606

1911vm
December 20, 2008, 09:18 PM
This I already know. 1st solution do not purchase a new PARA, two get one modified and all the work done by a gunsmith that way it runs.
The last para I saw at the range was in 3 parts frame front of the slide back of the side .:what:
They are having big problems with the quality of the steel.

stevemis
December 20, 2008, 10:35 PM
Well, after almost 8 months of being ignored by George Wedge, it looks like Para is going to try to make things right.

Your post convinced me to head over to a 1911 web forum, where I posted an open letter to George about my problems. He replied within a few minutes and said he's going to arrange for a replacement pistol next week.

George also mentioned that the Toronto facility (which includes manufacturing) is moving to a new facility here in North Carolina. I'm hopeful the new facility might have better QC and manufacturing proceses.

I'll update my other thread and will hopefully post a range report shortly.

Steve

1911vm
December 21, 2008, 10:19 AM
I am happy I could help. Now can some one help me. Thanks:banghead:

Bo
December 21, 2008, 10:46 AM
Go with the XD, one of the most reliable pistols I own. It has ate everything I have fed it. Not one hiccup. Put a Laser-Max in it, XS Big Dots on it and a mounted light. Its my go to HD pistol.

Shadan7
December 21, 2008, 11:35 AM
Well, the Paras that I and my friends have owned have never had a problem - sorry to hear of your nightmare there, stevemis, and I hope they make it good by you soon.

I really like the LDA (Light Double Action) on the Para - it is one of the sweetest shooting pistols I have owned in 40 years.

If you enjoyed reading about "XD vs Para" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!