CCW in Great Smokies

PDA

D Boone
December 20, 2008, 08:56 PM
Anyone else hear this story on the news? Said they would be accepting NC & TN Licenses. I'm having a hard time believing it, and what does this mean for other federal properties like the Blue Ridge Parkway?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW in Great Smokies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNC Seabee
December 20, 2008, 10:08 PM
Google "Concealed weapons National Park"

There was a recent regulation change by the Interior Dept. (National Parks, Wildlife Refuges, etc.) that essentially says that National Parks will now mirror the concealded carry laws of the host state. In other words, if you have license to carry on Main Street in NC or TN, then you can carry in GSMNP or any other National Park.

And before you ask....it makes no difference that NC says you can't carry in a STATE Park, the rule follows the "Main Street" test; if you can carry in public in the host state, then you can carry in the National Park.

owlhoot
December 20, 2008, 10:14 PM
I believe that Tennessee honors all CCW holders regardless of the state. Does that mean then that all CCW holders are good to go in the Smoky Mt. National Park?

hso
December 20, 2008, 11:48 PM
Just be careful about which side of the line you're on, the TN side or the NC side.

D Boone
December 22, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'm in NC, used to drive the BRPKWY to and from work, and left the CCW at home because it was illegal to carry on the Parkway. I have since moved, but try to vacation in the GSmokies every year. My only fear is that someone who has one will use it on wildlife that threatens/gets to close, and will be charged with poaching.

Last question, does anyone know if this pertains to the Appalachian Trail?

hso
December 22, 2008, 03:28 PM
Only in the sections through the referenced fed property and then if you're permit is good for the state the section lies in.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW in Great Smokies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!