You make the call...

PDA

Rembrandt
December 20, 2008, 08:05 PM
Our tags are filled and headed home when my son and I found this button buck caught in a fence. Hadn't been there long, leg appeared to be broken or badly damaged....so how would you handle this? (I'll tell you later what we did).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/deerleg1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/deerleg2.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "You make the call..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
monkyboy1975
December 20, 2008, 08:16 PM
Put the thing out of it's misery, leave it as found, call game warden,and wait for him to show up.

bejay
December 20, 2008, 08:25 PM
would shoot it also and call game warden or if its along a roadway im sure any local law enforcement could of handled it.

caribou
December 20, 2008, 09:04 PM
Let it go.

I dont shoot "Miserable" animals,(Just how does Death seem like its "Better"??!!) and have seen a fair share of wounded but healing as well as animals (Caribou in peticular) that have lost a leg, or had mended bones from a previous break, when I butcher'd them.

I know people who are miserable..... Its remarkable how well things heal, and , unlike man, they dont pitchabich about the pain, either.

There is no such thing as "Sympathy" in Nature.
Nature is indifferent.

offroaddiver
December 20, 2008, 09:48 PM
If I'm seeing things correctly looks llike the rear leg is just entangled in the fence. I would call game warden or local LEO and ask them for help.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 20, 2008, 11:41 PM
Extra backstrap. Find a friend and get him a tag.

JWF III
December 21, 2008, 12:12 AM
If it was my land (or my lease), I'd cut the second from the top strand of wire to free it. I'm not getting too close, I don't want a bloody lip or nose. Heck I might even cut it loose if it wasn't my land. But in that case, I'd do everything in my power to find the owner (and contact DNR or SD), explain the situation. And promise, and follow up on that promise, to fix it myself, either that day or first thing the next mourning; all this depending on remaining daylight.

Killing a deer like that, is no different than killing one in a half acre (or smaller) pen. The (possible) injuries it (might) have, are not life threatening.

Now hit by a car, with a broken back; I'd call DNR or SD ,explain the situation and get the O.K. to go ahead and kill it, then just wait around for them to pick it up.

Wyman

MikePGS
December 21, 2008, 12:31 AM
Are either you or your son proficient in any form of martial arts?

In all seriousness I'd probably call the DNR or police if they weren't available. Maybe even animal control.

Claude Clay
December 21, 2008, 12:54 AM
from other side of fence spread the wires to free it. if it could walk well--let it go. if broke or crippled--put it down & phone it in.

3pairs12
December 21, 2008, 04:37 PM
Well if you freed it I bet in a couple of years he will be nontypical on the right side. As long as he stays out of fences and scopes until then.

MP3Mogul
December 21, 2008, 04:56 PM
I would have freed him up as well... The leg doesn't look broken at least in the picture anyway.

TAB
December 21, 2008, 05:05 PM
I would free it.

moooose102
December 21, 2008, 05:18 PM
thats easy, cut the fence wire.

H&Hhunter
December 21, 2008, 05:50 PM
That leg looks twisted over and busted at the hock to me. Call the DNR and let them shoot it or do whatever they deem appropriate. that is the most legal way to deal with it.

Rembrandt
December 21, 2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all your answers, I think all responses could be justified.

While this scenario has legal and ethical components, it's unfortunate most state game agency's place the burden of innocence on the hunter....in other words, you're guilty till proven otherwise. To have an untagged animal in your possession would be a crap shoot, some officers might let it go, others may not....loosing hunting privileges for a couple of years for illegally taken game charge is not worth that risk. (CYA, "cover your arse"...that's why I snapped a photo before taking action)

I left a call into the game warden over a week ago regarding a different incident, still hasn't returned my call. Waiting for the proper authorities to respond could take hours if not days. I didn't consider that a viable option. We had other time commitments and hanging around wouldn't work. The location was over a mile from any roads and not easily accessible for LEO's and authorities.

Didn't want to cut the fence, (it is on my property) no tools on hand to make the repairs. Injuries were not life threatening, no major blood loss and the deer appeared healthy. We spread the wire strands apart with a stick and released the buck. He quickly sprinted off and jumped two more fences. Doubt his leg will heal to full recovery, but he should survive. Missing a front leg would be far more difficult than the use of a hind leg.....I think he'll be fine.

paintballdude902
December 21, 2008, 06:30 PM
hell probably be fine

if it makes it thru winter then it will be fine

monkyboy1975
December 21, 2008, 07:56 PM
Looks like I was bit hasty with my decision:o, the thought of getting on the other side of the fence and spreading the wires apart (while out of hoof reach) didn't occur to me. I can honestly say i have never run across a deer stuck in a fence like that, but the closest thing to that was a small doe that was ran down by some dogs; it was laying on the ground still alive, but missing a large pieces of both hindquarters. We had empty tags so we finished it and took it home. Well better to learn from a situation BEFORE you encounter it, Thanks for making me smarter.:)

moosehunt
December 21, 2008, 10:02 PM
I would have done pretty much what you did, but probably just cut the wire. I doubt that I'd be prepared to fix the fence, but if I had materials in the pickup, I reckon I would likely fix the fence. I damn sure wouldn't kill it if I didn't have a tag--lest the game warden was standing right there and said to.

Art Eatman
December 22, 2008, 12:14 AM
Good odds that the deer has a bunch of pulled muscles from having fought the fence. Coyote bait, is about all it is.

caribou
December 22, 2008, 12:56 AM
Its amazing how many animals I have caught show signs of trama, sometime in life.
Sinned out bears show some serious scarring under the skin, Ive seen a few broken ribs on animals that were healed ,limp legged Caribou doing OK, nice and fat..., an Ox with quills in its pussed out eye, and crusted up face, an saw him again a year later, healed but blind in one eye.
A Few Fox with three legs,.... a lynx once with a healed up gash on its butt, Salmon with Seal bites healed, ect. ect...

Heres a pict of my favorite "Rehabbeled'

A 9 foot long Oogruk with PolarBear Bitemarks and Clawmarks...Musta been a close one!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/IMAG0045-1.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/edwardhailstone/IMAG0049.jpg

Lonestar.45
December 22, 2008, 08:39 AM
You did what I'd have done, or tried to do.

The way I see it you could've shot it (which would be a big no no in Texas, shooting from the road at game = felony, game warden may or may not use his discretion to let you go), you could have kept on driving and called the game warden, or you could have tried to free it. I'd have tried to free it. Even if it was messed up beyond healing, the coyotes and buzzards have to eat to. This little guy sounds like he will make it. I would not be trying to tag it, take it with me, shoot it w/out a game warden present, or anything else that could end badly for me.

groundhog34
December 23, 2008, 08:13 PM
Move to Alabama you can shoot 2 a day

jeepmor
December 24, 2008, 03:26 PM
thats easy, cut the fence wire.

Only of your going to fix it.

I'd pry it free from the other side and let it go. It could keep some coyote or mtn lion fed for a week or so if it doesn't make it through the winter.

Visionz45
December 24, 2008, 06:00 PM
Without a rear leg that buck has about zero chance of making it through the winter. Coyotes are going run him down real quick. Shoot it and phone it in. I'm sure they rather that end up in a soup kitchen than rotting on a fence.

pbrktrt
December 24, 2008, 08:25 PM
i'd say if he ran off & jumped two more fences the odds are pretty good you'll see him next year. you did the best thing you could have from many choices. good on you.

bobby n.
December 28, 2008, 02:17 PM
years ago i found a 4 pointer mired in the mud, his antlers caudht up in a tangle of old rusted barbed wire. i put my gun down and watched the animal struggle for a few moments
and i got some rope and wirecutters out of my truck and pulled the little buck out of the muck and managed to cut him loose of the old wire.
by the time i was done, this little buck laid there in the grass breathing hard looking at me knowing i wanted him to get up and run off. But he laid there for half an
hour and lifted his head up got to his feet and shook like a dog flinging dried mud off as best he could and he walked off a few feet and looked back at me and disappeared into the thicket..a week and a half passed and i went back to the same spot and saw a few tracks near the edge of the mudhole . i suspect he came back and sniffed around it but i havent seen the little deer again. that being said, ill say this. my
grandpa always told me that to be a steward of the land meant that you take care of the animals as best you can, kill only what you can eat, and share what you can with those that are less fortunate. if more people followed these rules wed be better off in the long run..

If you enjoyed reading about "You make the call..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!