New Ruger MKIII 5.5 Bull Barrel

PDA

WildWeasel
December 21, 2008, 11:04 AM
Just picked up a new Ruger yesterday. I need some recommendations as far as ammunition for target/plinking.

My dealer gave me a 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags.

I'm looking to buy a couple thousand rounds and want to try a few brands to see what works best, so any suggestions would be appreciated to help me narrow down the list before I place an order.

Appreciate any help, thank you.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Ruger MKIII 5.5 Bull Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jolly Rogers
December 21, 2008, 11:08 AM
My MKIII likes federal bulk from Wallyworld. 550 rd bricks. A dud every now and then but no squibs and no misfeeds.
Joe

benderx4
December 21, 2008, 11:50 AM
My Mark III eats everything. I'll be honest, when it comes to .22, I buy whatever is cheapest - usually from Wally World.

Congrats on your Ruger, good luck cleaning that monster. (Hint: I can only do it whilst watching a great video that some dude posted on YouTube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVvIMAk64LM

LightningMan
December 21, 2008, 12:28 PM
Hello, I have owned a Ruger MKIII mated with a Simmons 2-6 power scope for about a month now and have been trying different ammo. So far I have tried the CCI mini-mags, Federal 525 & 550 value paks., Federal Auto Match and Winchester 333 rds. paks. Surprizingly the Federal Auto Match had the worst accuracy of those mentioned above and the CCI mini-mags had the best accuracy of what I have tried so far. Although, IMHO not much more accurate than the Federal or Win. value packs to spend the extra money to shoot the mini-mags all the time. I expect that if I tried the real premium .22 ammo, like Eley, CCI Green Tag or any of that high end match grade stuff, I would get better accuracy. LM.

RickW
December 21, 2008, 12:30 PM
I have the very same pistol, it hates Remington Gold Dots. It has taken everything else I've tried. I mostly use the Federal 510s (blue box) rounds from Wally world.

LightningMan
December 21, 2008, 12:37 PM
Another thing I would like to add; If you have trouble with stove-piped emptys like I did, go check this out; http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/10/mkii-magazine-tweak.html
I seldom could make it through a 10 rd. mag. reguardless which ammo, without having a stove-pipe and sometimes more, untill I did what was is shown on this site. Now I just got a chance to try my Ruger (post mag. adjustment) the other day, and after more than 200 rds. I have yet to have another stove-pipe. LM

XD-40 Shooter
December 21, 2008, 01:19 PM
My Ruger MKII 22/45 is very reliable with the Federal bulk packs from Wal-Mart, $13.97 for 550 rounds.:D

MP3Mogul
December 21, 2008, 02:03 PM
I will triple the WalMart Federal bulk pack. You can't beat it!

tlen
December 21, 2008, 02:27 PM
The only ammo I've heard that isn't recommended is bulk Remington. I shoot Federal Value paks from WMT.
http://www.guntalk-online.com/service.html

RickW
December 21, 2008, 02:31 PM
Yep, those are the ones I had a ton of trouble with. Avoid them would be my recommendation.

matai
December 22, 2008, 12:05 PM
Anybody get the speed strip kit for the Rugers?? I'm having a terrible time stripping and reassembling mine. Wondering if that helps

KBintheSLC
December 22, 2008, 04:43 PM
My MKIII Target is a garbage disposal... eats em all. The bulk packs tend to have some light strike failures, but it is pretty rare. I think it likes CCI Minimags in a 36g hollowpoint best. It also eats Remington, Blazer, and Federal bulk packs.

Anybody get the speed strip kit for the Rugers?? I'm having a terrible time stripping and reassembling mine. Wondering if that helps

Try the video in the link below...

mauiglide
December 23, 2008, 01:31 AM
CCI Mini Mag works great, never a problem.

bannockburn
December 23, 2008, 06:19 AM
I've found my Rugers prefer CCI MiniMags and Wolf Target Match ammo. And another thumbs down for Remington .22 ammo; I can't even get that stuff to work in their own rifles.

glockman19
December 23, 2008, 11:17 AM
I shoot the CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity 40 grain out of my Ruger MKIII Hunter with great results

travis74
December 23, 2008, 11:28 AM
Watch the you tube video.

I don't know how I would have got mine apart and back together again the first few times I done it without that video.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Ruger MKIII 5.5 Bull Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!