Stocking up my SHTF box--suggestions for .22LR's.

PDA

Deus Machina
December 22, 2008, 06:30 AM
My 'Fallout holdout' batch includes a can of milsurp steel-core 7.62x54r, another of x39 in various Wolf formats, and another that will be split between 9mm (FMJ and JHP) and .22LR.

The other calibers aren't a problem, but I'm searching for a .22 round that will gladly put food on the table, withstand the elements (I don't trust this bulk box stuff, where the bullets spin easily in the brass, for that), and isn't the $.75/round target stuff--I have to buy a few thousand rounds on a college boy's budget.

For sake of argument, let's say it will be going through something like a Henry lever-action (blued, not the Golden Boy, if there are any internal differences), 10/22, or Ruger Mk3 pistol. So if those have any problems with something like Stinger, the funky stuff is out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stocking up my SHTF box--suggestions for .22LR's." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
finfanatic
December 22, 2008, 07:16 AM
I like the Federal bulk packs you can get at Walmart (when they are not sold out!). $16.97 was the last price I paid for 525 rounds. They function fine in my Ruger 10/22 and Mark III pistol. Out of my cheap bolt action (Norinco) with cheap scope(tasco) , I eat up a 1 inch target at 50 yards.

For a bit more, you can buy a brick of Federal Champion (around $2.50 a box of 50 rounds), making a brick of 500 rounds $25.00. The Champion comes with a plastic ammo holder in the box.

Same with .22 Blazer ammo, which actually groups better for my Norinco than the Federal, but the Blazer costs more. I think I paid $2.99 pr 50 round box for the Blazers.

I have used the Remington cheap(er) .22s also, but they are covered with some nasty gray grease, and they shoot some gosh-awful dirty powder.

I am about to place an order for .22 ammo from here:

http://www.commandsurplus.com/Ammo-.22-Long-Rifle/c3688_6795/index.html?page=1

They have the Champion in bulk and the Blazer. Alot cheaper than buying the box and plastic clips that come with 50 round boxes.

Deus Machina
December 22, 2008, 07:53 AM
Oh, I've got my own personal favorites. I loved the 25-year-old Winchester Wildcat my dad gave me with my Mk3, but which I can't find at the local stores, and I really do love the Federal bulk pack--it's not the most accurate for me (might be my shooting), but my gun eats it like candy and it's cheap. Don't mind Thunderbolt, but dunno about that coating. Haven't tried my Winchester bulk pack yet. So far, all but the Wildcat turn in the brass.

The reason I prefer to pass on the bulk packs for this is because 1) I'm really not sure they'd be great for taking game and 2) they rattle in their brass. Without a good seal like CCI's or even a plastic box, if I have to shove them in my pack and hump it in the rain, I may end up eating what I can dig out of the ground.

But my box will include a bulk pack or two--Federal unless I find better--in case I have the luxury of digging in where I am or have decent transport to take the whole can with me.

monkyboy1975
December 22, 2008, 08:42 AM
Mini mags for defense, C.B. longs for gathering food (You don't want any undue attention);)

Brian Williams
December 22, 2008, 09:10 AM
Sorry, but Federal Bulk pack is what fills my BOB/72 hr bag and a 1st series Colt Woodsman.

Mike U.
December 22, 2008, 05:08 PM
Every single .22 caliber weapon has it's own ammo preference. If you and I both had say, oh, Marlin 60's with serial numbers one apart, my rifle will likely not prefer what your rifle would shoot reliably and accurately and vice-versa.
Buy lots of different brands and buy up what shoots best in YOUR rifle. That is the only way to get what works best for YOUR gun.

RSVP2RIP
December 22, 2008, 05:32 PM
The Velociter from CCI is the most accurate out of my Ciener Commando conversion, gold dot hollow point to boot. Does a number on feral cats but does cost more than a bulk pack 22. About $6 a box of 50. But for SHTF, I agree that CB's or shorts are the way to go as they are quiet and don't destroy a lot of protein. But for a BOB I have Datrex Emergency rations as the scope of the BOB is only for 3 days. I have a Browning High Power Practical in mine. Sorry for getting off topic.

moooose102
December 22, 2008, 05:39 PM
i really like remington "cyclone" ammo. it is the cleanest 22 ammo i have shot. just a plain lead hollow point, but shoot a box, then look down the barrel. it will be almost as clean as when you started. if it was dirty when you started, it might even be cleaner! one of mine was.

rangerruck
December 23, 2008, 12:25 AM
Easy, you have two choices here, CCI SGB's, this is a solid lead bullet, that when penetrating, breaks into 3 large chunks, very ouchy.
Aguila- hi speeds, in either solid point or hollow points. Very fast, very accurate, and copper washed.
Aguila- interceptors. the kings. not , I repeat, not in a stinger case, but a
regular 22lr case, it uses a full 40 grain bullet, and it leaves the muzzle at
a full 1470 fps or faster. Extremely ouchy.

BlacklabelOP
December 23, 2008, 12:46 AM
Federal bulk..
For the price it is just too good, since you want alot right? Or get the individually packed federal champion.. boxes near the top..
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr165/sweetbeard/IMG_1908.jpg

monkyboy1975
December 23, 2008, 12:48 AM
WOW, nice ammo dump :D

BlacklabelOP
December 23, 2008, 12:51 AM
I need more :what:

monkyboy1975
December 23, 2008, 12:53 AM
But you can never have enough:neener:
btw I like the join date hehe

ccsniper
December 23, 2008, 01:03 AM
wow thats oodles of .22! im only slightly behind though, ive got about 1000:)

cleardiddion
December 23, 2008, 01:14 AM
Personally my favorites happen to be
Mini-mag HP
Super Colibri subsonics
and
The Remington bulk pack HP.

Out of all three surprisingly, my Marlin 60 happens to like the bulk stuff the best. I suspect it's due to the fact that it's non jacketed, though I may be wrong. And as long as you're not looking to take on bull elk or something like that :p , the remmy stuff works just fine on small game such as squirrel and rabbit.

Davek1977
December 23, 2008, 02:32 AM
Federal 510's are availble at most Walmarts at 1.28-1.47 per box of 50. They shoot great in my 10/22, though my Buckmark doesn't care for them. Federal 550 bulk packs are also availble, at roughly 14 bucks per carton of 550 at my local Walmart. I've been shooting that stuff for years, and while you said you didn't want bulk, I've had no reason to NOT recommend the Federal variety, as it functions in all my .22's. For sheer reliability though, nothing, IMO, holds a candle to CCI mini-mags, either solid or HP. I've shot them on and off for the last 20 plus years, and NEVER remember having one nopt go bang when the trigger was pulled. Too, they are more than accecptably accurate, and are among the cleanest shooting .22 rounds I've come across.

Deus Machina
December 23, 2008, 03:12 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the Federal hollowpoint bulk pack. And I'm keeping a couple bulk packs in my can. Currently Golden Bullet and Winchester X-pert, until I can figure what my guns like best. I just want half or more of the .22 (by volume, in the can) something that isn't loose in the brass and likely to go dead if I have to shove it in the bag and hump it in the rain.

I'm keeping all this in mind, though. It does look like the bulk packs are winning, and if they're really that great for game (there's not enough around here that I think I could take with a short, really :( ) I may just spend some time with a jar of sealer or split it into batches and vacuum bag it.

Or if I find a solid I really like, I just may buy or fab up one of those Accurizer gizmos, and convert to HP.

regal
December 23, 2008, 03:35 AM
Unless you own a few thousand acres of land to hunt you are going to want Super Colibri's. WTSHTF people aren't going to take kindly to hearing rifle fire in their woods.

Deus Machina
December 23, 2008, 03:53 AM
Hmm. True. Maybe I'll split it 50/50.

I don't have any privately owned woodland in my area, but if I need to grab it and run, I won't want landowners further north or cops hearing it.

Schleprok62
December 23, 2008, 09:05 AM
Federal and Remington 550 bulk packs here... I try to buy at least 2 of each per month for the last 8 months... I've not had any trouble with loose bullets in the brass... been out in the rain, icey/snow, wind, etc... as well as good weather... haven't noticed any change in reliability...

BlacklabelOP
December 25, 2008, 01:15 AM
You can always get some CCI velocitors in the 50 packs and use clear nail polish to seal up the edges of the plastic container.

Ratshooter
December 25, 2008, 03:00 AM
You can always get some CCI velocitors in the 50 packs and use clear nail polish to seal up the edges of the plastic container

I don't think I would do that. The acetone in the nail polish would melt the plastic and glue the lid on.

I have 22 ammo I have had for 25+ years that still fires just fine. The Aquilla Colibri 22s are not very good options for hunting ammo. I have shot several squirrels with it and had them run away. I found them dead later but that was after they were unfit to eat. If you were shooting birds they would be fine if the birds aren't too big or the range too long.

If you want quiet try the CB 22 longs. I have never had any problem with rounds where the bullet spun in the case. It doesn't seem to hurt anything as far as I can tell.

I haven't shot them but I was going to order some of the Remington CBEE22s from Midway. These are 33gr bullets that should shoot better in the 1/16 twist barrels on our 22 rifles. But as usual they were "Out of stock, Backorder OKay".

I doubt anything but full power ammo will function your Ruger pistol. Buy several types of ammo and try it. Thats the only way you will find what works best for you.

The federal bulk packs have been very good ammo for me. I just shot my new Ruger 22/77 last week and got groups at 50 yards that were an inch or less, and this was using the door frame on my truck for a rest. From a real bench rest I bet they do a little better.

nrthwoods
December 25, 2008, 03:16 AM
CCI mini mags have worked well for me, don't think the ones I used were HP though. It escapes me, the name of the brand a friend uses which is real quiet... He'd shot one off, right in the city, not 50 feet from me, and I didn't even hear it. Will ask him and post it up.

ZombiesAhead
December 25, 2008, 04:35 AM
.22lr is so cheap compared to other calibers that I have a 5,000+ round "SHTF" stockpile without even really trying. I have quite a bit of CCI mini-mags in HP, standard velocity, high velocity, and maybe even some stingers and CB longs lying around. I also stock Remington Subsonic for suppressed use. I also use the blue-box Walmart Federal bulk packs though and Remington "Golden Bullets" (very dirty) to supplement the count with really cheap stuff.

However, I only trust the CCI's to cycle my 10/22 reliably and cleanly. My other .22lr is a CZ Kadet Kit on a CZ-75 SP-01 that I feed exclusively CCI.

notorious
December 25, 2008, 05:17 AM
I bought a box of the Remington 525 bulk brass coated JHP ammo and it is nasty. It coats the inside of the receiver with a nasty grey wax and jams on every 3rd round.

I gave up and just used the Federal FMJ from Wal-mart. Feeds like a dream, no jams, and it's not very dirty either. I think it costs $13 for a box of 500.

I would recommend having at least 2 bricks of the .22LR for your SHTF scenario. Short of a full Class 3 outbreak, you will be fine against zombies with the .22LR as long as you shoot at the head slowly and don't waste bullets on body shots which have no effect.

22-rimfire
December 25, 2008, 07:17 AM
CCI Mini Mags; the boxes rattle however.
Federal Champion 510 solids.
CCI Velocitors
You should be able to eek out a few thousand rounds on a college boy budget (ie money from home. :) )

Mike U.
December 25, 2008, 10:37 PM
As far as best all around round, the CCI Mini-Mags have very few competitors. They are consistent in all of my .22s. Plenty accurate enough to do the job. Their only real drawback is that $6.99 per 100 price point. Even that is not that bad, really. Especially for the dead-on consistency you get from each and every round. They do one helluva number on tree rats out to 80 yards too.
And probably beyond that range, but, I'm getting old. :)

BUT, as always, make sure it functions as intended in YOUR firearm(s).
Every .22 cal. firearm has it's own preferences. I cannot push that point enough.

351 WINCHESTER
December 25, 2008, 11:45 PM
Who cares if the ammo rattles? I'm more concerned with the quality of the ammo. I've had very good luck with federal bulk hp. I prefer their champion's better, but walmart is usually sold out. Remington bulk really sucks (has since it first came out). I think they have drunken monkeys make their ammo. I have had no luck in cb's as far as accuracy is concerned so I don't bother. They are way overpriced too.

Poor East Texan
December 26, 2008, 12:07 AM
I'm a fool for Federal 510! Last brick I got at Academy was $13.97 + uncle.

Last boxes at Walmart were 1.47 per box.

I have about 2K rounds of that stuff, and quite a bit of CB Long, CeeBee and Colibri.

Deus Machina
December 26, 2008, 01:38 AM
I'm not worried about ammo that rattles in the box, I'm worried about ammo that's loose in its brass. I'd think there'd be more chance of moisture ruining it, considering any SHTF scenario in FL is likely to involve a hurricane at some point.

Even if it's a class 1 zombie outbreak, this state will do it just out of spite.

I got a good big gift card from family for Christmas. I think I may just head down to Wally World and buy a couple boxes of everything. :D

Have been curious about shotshells, too, but those would have limited use.

notorious
December 26, 2008, 01:51 AM
Shotshells are good for gathering food and also for snake medicine when you encounter them in your shelter. Snakes do make good eatin when you clean it right.

As for Class 1 outbreaks, a box of 100 Federal FMJ 40 grain 22LRs will do because it will not involve more than 10-15 zombies at most.

It's the Class 3 and 4 outbreaks that I worry about when society as we know is gone.

Poor East Texan
December 26, 2008, 06:54 PM
Big capacity mags to use in a class 3 or 4 outbreak is a given....

notorious
December 26, 2008, 06:57 PM
30 rounders won't do in either Class 3or 4 outbreaks. You need a whole concerted team effort then. Just make sure every shot counts and don't spray and pray.

hlq
December 26, 2008, 08:51 PM
I picked up a box of Remington 36 gr hp, 550 ct, for 16.97 and Winchester 36 gr hp, 333 ct, for 9.97 this evening at Walmart. That's all they had bulk here. I guess I'll run a 100 ea through my 22's and buy more of what ever works best.

onebigelf
December 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
My MK3 loves the Federal Bulk, which I keep seeing kudos for in this thread. It's also the cheapest 22 my Wally carries. Hard to argue that.

John

xx7grant7x
December 26, 2008, 10:27 PM
Every single .22 caliber weapon has it's own ammo preference. If you and I both had say, oh, Marlin 60's with serial numbers one apart, my rifle will likely not prefer what your rifle would shoot reliably and accurately and vice-versa.
Buy lots of different brands and buy up what shoots best in YOUR rifle. That is the only way to get what works best for YOUR gun.
I agree completely with this statement, buy a small box of a couple different brands, shoot for reliability then decide

mgregg85
December 26, 2008, 11:20 PM
Bulk pack all the way, don't depend on the bullets themselves to withstand the elements. Put them in a good ammo can that seals well and throw some dessicant packs in there, then put the can in a cool dry place somewhere off the floor(in case of flooding, etc).

My mk2 and 10/22 will shoot bulk pack all day, though the mk2 does need a spray of lube occaisionally(maybe every 10th mag or more) to keep it going smoothly.

NC-Mike
December 26, 2008, 11:44 PM
Here's my 22 stash.

Wolf Match- 1,750
Wolf Match Extra- 600
Winchester Wild Cat- 4,500
Remington Thunderbolt- 800
Bulk-500
CCI-50
American Eagle-250
Federal Target Grade-325

I want more American Eagle. They are nice rounds.

Poor East Texan
December 27, 2008, 12:19 AM
Just a note here.

My 22/45 would eat nothing but Stingers as it came new. Adding a Volquartson (sp?) (part name escapes me but it grabs the brass) it will eat most anything standard or higher velocity.

And with this goofy post I say goodnight!

CajunBass
December 27, 2008, 07:25 AM
I've got about 15, 22's so trying to figure out which one works best in which gun, then keeping that in stock, would be a major pain in the keester, at least I think it would be.

I settled on Federal bulk pack from Wal-Mart. It may not be the "best" in any of them, but it's "good enough" in all of them.

Neo-Luddite
December 27, 2008, 08:54 AM
I like CCI mini-mag. I like the Stingers, also--but some weapons just won't feed them well (my 10/22 does).

I would buy a portion of AT LEAST one other manufacturer because .22 doesn't always age well. For me, brand No. 2 is Remington (especially for a few shorts and full-length CB caps). I *DO* avoid the bargain bulk 'thunderbolt' or whatever it is called--very unreliable when I've used it; the bulk 'golden bullet' holllow points have worked very well in my 10/22 however.

Federal is also a solid choice as 'plan b'.

Mike U.
December 27, 2008, 08:02 PM
I've got about 15, 22's so trying to figure out which one works best in which gun, then keeping that in stock, would be a major pain in the keester, at least I think it would be.

I settled on Federal bulk pack from Wal-Mart. It may not be the "best" in any of them, but it's "good enough" in all of them.

CajunBass,
Just compile a list of what each rifle prefers. Once you make the list, you've got it made. Simple to do and the benefits you gain are worth the initial effort.

alemonkey
December 27, 2008, 08:18 PM
I've had really good luck with the bulk Federal stuff. It's pretty darn accurate for as cheap as it is. IMHO it's the best all around .22 for the money.

rugerman07
December 27, 2008, 08:52 PM
My Ruger 10/22, MK II, and Beretta U2 Neos hates Wal Mart's Remington and Federal bulk pack's. I get a lot of misfires with the Remingtons and both misfires and jams with the Federals. However, they shoot the CCI Blazer bulk pack ammo that I buy at a local gun shop with no problems whatsoever. My Ruger Single Six will shoot anything. In my opinion, Wal Mart's 22/LR bulk packs are fine for revolvers, lever action, pump action, or single shot rifles. But they suck in semi autos. I wonder why that is?

WardenWolf
December 27, 2008, 08:58 PM
In my experience, Rugers tend to like Mini Mags best. Ruger overbuilds their guns, and builds them so that they can handle the high velocity loads without a problem. My father's ancient Mark I seems to greatly prefer the Mini Mags even over the CCI standard velocity (the copper washed bullet seems to feed better), as does my Mark III and 10/22.

notorious
December 27, 2008, 10:10 PM
The Remington bulk pack jammed in every gun I tried it in. The Federal bulk pack ran flawlessly in all the same guns and more.

I just have to find a Walmart to get some... wait... there's one close to work....

Archery Ham
December 27, 2008, 11:14 PM
My experience with my Rem 597 and Ruger 10-22 is that I get more duds with Federal ammo. A few per hundred. (2%~3%) Maybe thats the norm. I prefer the Winchester Wildcat and the Remingon copper colored hollowpoints. Both are clean, accurate, and reliable. I wish I could find them in smaller boxes inside of a "brick" (10 boxes of 50 rounds) so I might use them to barter with in absence of money.

I have used Aquila SSS 60 grain to silence unwanted pests at 10 PM without disturbing the neighbors. It shoots about 900 FPS.

Also, if someone might answer this as a side note:

BOB equals bug out bag, right? I live 10 miles out of town. I do not plan on leaving high grounds here (a relatively safe place, lots of woods, I have a waterfall). Should I stock a BOB anyway?

woof
December 27, 2008, 11:32 PM
No-one planning for a Sasquatch uprising?

Deus Machina
December 27, 2008, 11:35 PM
My dad's partial to Mini Mags, but I've never used them. I love the Wildcats he gave me, but no luck around here. :(

Good news: Saving a little money. Come payday, I'll grab the Henry from Wally World and go back for a box of everything, and see what my stuff likes.

How do you like those Aquila subsonics? I grabbed a box of the weird little things out of curiosity, haven't tried them yet.

And, yes, everyone should have a bugout bag, whether they're in a good spot or not. You're in good high ground, but what happens if, say, the valley floods and the people living there see it as good high ground, too? Always have a Plan B.

Sasquatch are too rare for an uprising. I'm worried about those durn rotters (they're patient! They do have all the time in the world) and the mole people.

woof
December 28, 2008, 08:25 AM
At 9 feet and 800 lb, one Sasquatch equals an uprising! :)

Redneck with a 40
December 28, 2008, 10:39 AM
I'd split it, 2500 rounds of Federal Bulk and 2500 rounds of CCI mini-mags. You can't go wrong with that.

Poor East Texan
December 28, 2008, 10:12 PM
I know I already said this but I like Federal 510 so much I gave a brick away at Christmas.

I don't tend to shoot my Semis too much instead shoot quiet stuff from Bolt and Lever guns.

Been meaning to give my Tapco stocked 10/22 a workout though.

BlacklabelOP
December 28, 2008, 10:21 PM
No-one planning for a Sasquatch uprising?

Thats why my Mosin ammo comes in sealed tins, and I have enough m44's to pass around like candy!

notorious
December 28, 2008, 10:34 PM
For a sasquatch uprising, just toss them some jerky, I saw it in a commercial, it distracts them and then you can paint the eyepieces on the binocs and let them fall for that trick.

Schuey2002
December 29, 2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks to this thread, I am off to go scoop up some of those Federal 550rd. bulk packs from a local X-Mart.. :)

Poor East Texan
December 29, 2008, 08:10 PM
I got a bulk pack of Fed Automatch at walmart today. This brings me over 4K .22 rounds.

Next time I'm in Academy I'm gonna get two more bricks of 510s!

Geneseo1911
December 29, 2008, 09:54 PM
Deus-
To get back to your original topic, a couple years ago I bought EVERY type of .22LR I could find locally. It turned out to be about 20 different labels. I then shot 5 5 shot groups each at 50 yds to see which one my 10/22 liked the best. The only type I found where the bullet didn't spin in the casing was an Elay made round sold under the Remington "target rifle" name (headstamp was an "E"). It produced the best groups, BTW, around .75" avg. It was also by far the most expensive.

I was also interested to find that the stingers shot about 2" higher than everything else, and some cheap russian stuff I had was about an inch low. Make sure you sight that rifle in with your shtf ammo.

My suggestion would be to buy it all and shoot it all and see what your rifle wants. You might spend 40 bucks, but think of all the fun you'll have shooting!

I would say your best bet for making sure it's okay if your bag gets wet is to get a sealed box to pack it in. Or get a vacuum food bagger and make yourself some little bitty battle packs.

Hmm....that's a good idea; I might have to do that myself....

notorious
December 30, 2008, 03:58 AM
Hmmm... I have a few of those stupid space bags from Target... now I have to find the vacuum to suck the air out as I battle pack my ammo. Thanks for another suggestion which will take up my weekend!

BHP FAN
December 30, 2008, 04:22 AM
Mine was Winchester Wildcats,packed in a 30 cal ammo can [the kind with the gasket] I'm not even sure Winchester is still putting out Wildcats,but the Blazers by CCI shoot to the same point of aim [in my guns] they're just not quite as clean burning,powder wise,it seems to me.

notorious
December 30, 2008, 05:22 AM
I just got a box of the Winchester high-vels. Going to try them out this week.

Hostile Amish
December 30, 2008, 08:08 AM
Winchester Power Points work very well, and so does CCI Subsonic and Standard Velocity. I wouldn't imagine why you would have a problem with bulk ammunition, unless you have bought some lemons earlier. Federal bulk .22's work very well, and cost little to nothing.

woof
December 30, 2008, 08:47 AM
I just took inventory. I've got 4500 rds of Federal 510, 2000 rds of Federal 514 target, two bricks of Federal bulk, and some odds and ends. They'll never take me alive!

notorious
December 30, 2008, 01:15 PM
Close to 8,000 rounds, eh? Hope all they do is come at you in an easy to shoot formation instead of setting your abode on fire like the Santa killer. Those 8,000 rounds will make for pretty fireworks!

woof
December 30, 2008, 01:34 PM
I was counting on it being lke space invaders or a shooting gallery:) Actually, I don't expect anyone to come after me or any SHTF scenarios. I just accumulated it over the last six months because I have been shooting .22 instead of centerfire and since I think prices will rise by about 25%, this will do better than any of my other investments for 08.

notorious
December 30, 2008, 01:45 PM
Shoot... sticking cash under my mattress did better than any of my investments. I only lost 3% to inflation on cash while losing a boat in the portfolio.

JImbothefiveth
December 30, 2008, 01:58 PM
My 22/45 would eat nothing but Stingers as it came new.

You shouldn't use stingers, according to ruger.

When someone asks: What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger .22 pistol?

Ruger's answer is:

The Ruger .22 pistols are chambered only for the .22 caliber Long Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high-velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards. Do not attempt to load hyper velocity, .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22 caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol. Use of .22 shot shells is not recommended

JImbothefiveth
December 30, 2008, 02:05 PM
BTW, how well do CCI mini-mags work for plinking? Can they be had for $15.00/500?

Ratshooter
December 30, 2008, 04:29 PM
At 9 feet and 800 lb, one Sasquatch equals an uprising!

That was the best post so far. Thanks Woof.

If your stocking up on ammo buy some of everything. CBs, Shot loads, standard velocity, high velocity and a hyper velocity. It all works for something. Even those way under powered Aquilas that will stick in a long barrel. Yes they will do that ask me how I know.

Winchester power points are very good ammo with lots of reports of super accuracy. I have read they were developed for shooting the large 10+ pound sized hares in Austrailia.

The federal bulk loads also work the action on my 10-22 and marlin 60 with a good crisp speed. Some of the other bulk I have bought has been a little sluggish.

kiawahman
December 30, 2008, 07:24 PM
I'm going back to Federal or Winchester. Just came from the range today where we shot Remington .22lr hp Golden Bullets in the 550 bulk pack for $16.97 at WalMart. Bad stuff.

The bullets and packaging looked fresh, shiny, clean, just like they came off the assembly line. One in ten rounds failed to fire despite very pronounced strikes from my trusty Marlin 70P Papaoose (based on the trusted model 60 action), that has always eagerly gobbled-up any other ammo it's been fed. One or two in ten had an abnormally loud report & recoil, while 2-4 in ten had a very weak report and recoil. Those rounds that did fire as they should would hit dead-on at 50 yards, the others strayed high by 2", or low buy as much as 6". Maybe one or two rounds in a hundred were so weak that they failed to eject and caused a jam.

I have never had this type of poor performance using any other brand of .22lr ammo. After firing maybe 150 rounds, I just threw the rest away as it isn't even good for range use. I've had great success with Remington ammo in larger calibers, but will not waste my money on them again in .22lr.:cuss:

Poor East Texan
December 30, 2008, 11:10 PM
I can report similar issues with Remington Subsonics and New CeeBees.

I'll be trying to shoot groups. I'll get Pop, Pop, Pop, BANG, Pop with subs and every now and then a CeeBee will go bang instead of pop.

I picked up 500 more rounds of Federal 510 today because I could and I have had pretty good luck with 'em including groups.

22-rimfire
January 2, 2009, 03:31 AM
I get about 3/4" groups pretty consistantly with Thunderbolts at 50 yds (on a good day). Usually 4 within a half-inch and one flyer. They are a little erratic but I still like to shoot them. Honestly, they are fine if you ignore the FTF's. You won't win any competitions with them, but you certainly could use them for hunting at practical ranges.

Remington Thunderbolts used to be a lot better. I just don't know when they started to go downhill in quality.

CCI Mini Mags are good. Federal bulk packs are okay and are presently better than Thunderbolts.

Oohrah
January 2, 2009, 04:07 AM
Probably have two or three cases of promotional 22 ammo of which some
is 40 years old. Starting from the oldest, forward, I don't seem to have
the same problems as some of you with the new Rem. Golden hollow points
in any of the three 10/22s. They all fire, and rifles that are know to be
accurate with one bullet are also accurate with this one also. I have
three I use frequently, a Win. 75 bolt, a Target 10/22, a standard 10/22.
A 10/22 Sporter is only so so with anything, but does function with all.
I do clean frequently due the damp climate I live in. These 22s seem to
have an unlimited shelf life if store in a cool and dry envirnonment. I limit
some old CIL Imperial to my Winny bolts, as it seems on the hot side with a
listed 1335 fps with a 40 gr bullet. My Ruger Mark I, also functions with
target or high speed. I leave CCI Stingers in it as one of the drawer guns.
Can't recall any warnings with it, but it new was somewhere around $50.
Very reliable, but a pain to tear down and reassemble! If a source of ammo
or fireams lacking, I would consider at least one bolt gun that can operate
if need be on all the range of .22s excluding WRF or WRM that are not
interchangable.

finfanatic
January 2, 2009, 07:28 AM
Last week I took my $50 gift card I got for Xmas to Walmart, looking to load up on Federal Bulk packs.

No joy.

The "main" gun guy was behind the counter and I asked him what was going on. He said they'd been getting in a case of Federal Bulk Packs on the delivery truck a couple of times a week, but as soon as they put it out, "Customers" have been buying two and three of the bulk packs immediately. None of the cases last a whole day.

So now I know....It's YOU!!!

You all are the reason I can't get any Federal Bulk 550 round packs!! I hope you guys are HAPPY!!! ;)

This seems like it might be an ON-GOING thing, buying up ammo like it is about to be OUTLAWED or something even worse....so I have devised a scheme to outwit you clever rascals. I don't know if this ingenious plan will work, but here is what I intend to do.....I am going to Wal-Mart an ORDER me a whole case of the Federal Bulk Packs!

Hah! That will teach you.

My Local Wally World had one pack of 325rd Federal Automatch and a couple of 550rd Winchester Xperts. I brought those home and put them in my ammo locker.

notorious
January 2, 2009, 07:40 AM
I know, the local Walmart was sold out of 308 winchester SP cartridges. Never heard of that bfore.

Water-Man
January 2, 2009, 09:28 AM
CCI-Mini-Mag & Aguila Sniper Sub Sonic

kiawahman
January 2, 2009, 10:09 AM
I know, the local Walmart was sold out of 308 winchester SP cartridges. Never heard of that bfore.

I have noticed many blank spaces on Walmart shelves and display racks in the gun/hunting departments at several locations lately. Makes me wonder if the rumor about them getting out of the gun & ammo business isn't true. At least they keep getting-in fresh supplies of the Blazer ammo, which seems to be their best seller, (I buy lots of it), and it's about the only thing I buy from them.

Walmart is one of those store chains that has a little bit of everything - but a whole lot of nothing. They should commit to either keeping items they carry in-stock, or dropping them entirely, (i.e. their $19.95 BSA lazer sight has never been in stock since as far back as I can remember).

c5_nc
January 2, 2009, 11:10 AM
I've asked about the bulk packs at my local walmart also and recieved a different story, that the warehouse has been out of stock for the last 3 weeks and they are not sure when more will arrive. I went to 3 walmarts and one had Remington bulks and Winchester 325box bulks, both are out of stock now as well.

Are the Federal 50 round packs for $1.47 the same stuff? (thats still cheap)

kiawahman
January 2, 2009, 12:42 PM
I don't think the $1.47/50rd packs are hollow points. 10 boxes = 500 rds = $11.47 = not bad if the quality is good.

finfanatic
January 2, 2009, 02:23 PM
Just checked my Walmart today...they were out of everything except some CCI subsonics and some 50 rd Remington boxes.

I guess I am going to order some Federal Champions and some Blazer.

Txhillbilly
January 2, 2009, 05:49 PM
I always have plenty of 22lr & 22wmr stocked up. I don't like the bulk ammo much,I just use it for plinking around. I keep several bricks of Aguilla in different flavors and also several cases of 22wmr in the ammo cans.

dispatch55126
January 2, 2009, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know where I can get those plastic shell cases like what CCI's come in? Those would store much better than the bulk boxes in my ammo cans.

woof
January 2, 2009, 06:03 PM
The Federal Champion at Walmart at 1.47 is product 510 and has 510 on the box. This stuff is better than the Federal bulk and when I go to Walmart I buy all they have which usually isn't much.

D!rty H@rry
January 2, 2009, 06:31 PM
shot 100 rounds of the 550 federal bulk today out of a Glenfield 60, seems like they are seconds or sumpin'.

1 FTF and 1 stovepipe.

SHTF ammo? not for me.

Mike U.
January 3, 2009, 01:47 AM
D!rty H@rry,
There are gonna be shells that are duds in one way or another in nearly every bulk box you buy. Just goes with the territory.
For example, I recently got a surprise when I opened a 50 round (non-bulk) box of Winchester Super X and found this in the middle of the box:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r314/Mike_U_photos/Mvc-096s.jpg
Pictured with a good round. The rest of the box was perfect. This load has been very consistent in it's overall quality for a long time for me. Still, it was surprising to find that in an otherwise perfect box of ammo. :confused:

notorious
January 3, 2009, 02:07 AM
Nice of them to include a semi-wadcutter for accuracy testing.

Mike U.
January 3, 2009, 03:08 AM
:D:D:D

monkyboy1975
January 3, 2009, 03:19 AM
A semi wad cutter with a hollow point:confused:

notorious
January 3, 2009, 03:44 AM
Actually, there are semi-wadcutter hollowpoints for 38 specials as far as I remember.

I think it was designated the SWCHP from Federal or something.

kiawahman
January 4, 2009, 10:03 PM
Went to the range today and fired some Federal bulk CPHP 36 grain and it performed perfectly in my Marlin Papoose. Not one dud, only a couple rounds that sounded less sharp, but that could have been the high winds whipping around us, all tight groups.

These are totally different results than the Remington Golden Bullets we tried last week - which were total trash.

rhoggman
January 19, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have a bolt action Winchester Wildcat rifle. When other people get FTF weak strikes et cetera with their crap ammo. I pick it off the ground and fire it out of my rifle just fine.

That little rifle is darn accurate too. Aguilla SuperMaximumHighVelocity and CCI stingers seem to be the most accurate rounds for me, but knowing that it will fire anything is pretty helpful. Whenever I find a deal I just buy ammo.

Sure different rounds shoot different, but it takes about 3 shots to dial the scope into 0 with any ammo I am using.

I like it so much I am thinking about trying out the CZ bolt action 22. From what I hear it is very accurate as well.

You would be amazed at what an accurate 22 can do.... I would venture to say that you could kill about anything with a nice head shot & some CCI stingers

If you enjoyed reading about "Stocking up my SHTF box--suggestions for .22LR's." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!