T/C Pro Hunter

PDA

neal7250
December 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
I own a T/C Pro Hunter in 308, that's about to make me sctrach a bald spot in my head.:banghead: It shoots good enough to shoot a deer at 100 yards, but I'm afraid to trust it any further.:cuss:

I have tried many diffrent loads, and brands of mfg bullets, and can't get this gun to shoot a tight group. Every gun in my safe, will shoot a 1" group, to include my M14.:mad:

This gun is supposed to be legendary in the accuracy department, but I haven't seen it. :uhoh:

I'm interested in others experiences, and or recomendations

If you enjoyed reading about "T/C Pro Hunter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tapout08
December 22, 2008, 02:43 PM
I have not had any accuracy issues with my 300WM prohunter. I shoot 180 gr barnes tsx's and I regularly shoot out to 500 yards. I hand load and have only tried tsx's, and core lokt psp's, the core lokts were not very accurate past 100 yrds but were fairly accurate at 100. it did take me quite sometime to find the proper charge and bullet seat depth but once i did it shoots great groups. I just picked up a 500 S&W kathadin barrel today and am interested to see how it shoots. I have talked to other people about encore accuracy and have mostly heard good things.

R.W.Dale
December 22, 2008, 02:59 PM
I'm going to be frank here

I went through my encore phase with a couple frames and close to a dozen factory and custom barrels. I learned rather quickly that the accuracy of these rifles is grossly overrated. To put it bluntly they shoot like crap. I got into encores after being so disappointed by the hit r miss accuracy of my Handi rifles only to learn that if anything your average encore barrel is even less accurate. The break action rifle simply doesn't lend itself to knife edge accuracy. It's one thing when your $220 handi shoots 3" groups but it's quite another when a $800 Pro hunter does no better. Your one ray of hope is that these type rifles typically shoot much better when chambered for a cartridge with a rim or belt

Sell the encore ad take the proceeds to buy even the most entry level bolt gun and top notch optic you'll then have a rifle that exhibit far superior accuracy

MMCSRET
December 22, 2008, 05:32 PM
Back in the early days of the steel silouette game the T/C Contender had the same problem. There grew up around them a cottage industry devoted to accurizing the break open single shots, if you could find one of those gunsmiths I'm sure he could guide you. Dennis Belm (sp?) in Salt Lake City knows how to do it.

neal7250
December 22, 2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the info fellas. I'm going to try a couple of other things, and if this don't work, I'm going to get me anothet Tika.

jbech123
December 22, 2008, 07:59 PM
I went through this phase as well. Bought a pro hunter in .204 ruger. After 8 different factory loads, my best group was 2.5" at 100. I have heard if you hand load and can tweak seating depth you can improve accuracy. Didn't feel like messing with it, so I sold it, bought a remmy sps in .223 and my first group was right at .75".

HOLY DIVER
December 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
yup i went through the same thing i got feed up and traded it at a gunshow i'll never own anouther

R.W.Dale
December 23, 2008, 03:40 PM
wow! now that's a consensus :eek:

shevrock
December 23, 2008, 03:52 PM
So none of the encores are really that accurate?

R.W.Dale
December 23, 2008, 04:18 PM
So none of the encores are really that accurate?

I wouldn't say NONE. But in my opinion if accuracy is a concern you'll be much better served with another platform. Even the most entry level bolt gun bought for less than $300 will typically shoot circles around even the most worked over break action single shot. You could be like me and go through a dozen custom and factory TC barrels before you finally stumble apoun one that shoots even close to MOA.

That being said break action rifle typically do much better with rimmed or belted cartridges since you're interested in x54r.

Waste of Money
January 18, 2009, 01:03 PM
I have an Encore with 4 barrels and couldn't be happier. I have the 209x50 muzzleloader that shoots 2" groups at 100 with 110g FFg and a 250 gr sabot. A 22-250 which shoots everything below 1 moa, a .270 and a 338Win mag which both shoot 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" at 100 yds with factory ammo.

The 22-250 regularly prints .6 -.9" groups with various hand loads. Factory ammo shoots .75 - 1.25".

Can you get this accuracy with modern, production bolt rifles? Absolutely. Some are better but you can't get the same trigger, cheek/stock fit, and controls unless you buy 4 models of the same gun in various calibers.

Fill your big game tags on a trip? In 5 minutes you have a pre-zeroed varmint/predator rig ready to go.

I have done nothing to this rifle other than have the trigger lightened slightly.

edit - just realized I was measuring my groups incorrectly after 20 years of doing this... :o

Olympus
January 18, 2009, 11:01 PM
I've got the pro hunter in the muzzleloader and I've been more than pleased with the accuracy of it. Last year I just bought a .300 Mag barrel for it and thought I would see how it shot. I've never had a large bore rifle so I was a little nervous about the recoil and the flinch factor. I mounted the scope and took it the range and the first shot sighting it in was high and right. I wanted to make sure I didn't pull before I made any adustments so I took another shot with the same POI. The second shot nicked the bottom of the first hole. At 110 yards I can easily shoot 1" to 1 1/4" groups with the .300 Mag. I'm extremely happy with my pro hunter and I'll be buying other barrels as well.

jbkebert
January 30, 2009, 05:32 PM
I had problems with my pro-hunter after first purchased and was more than a little steamed. I decided to give t/c the chance and called t/c tech. The man i talked to asked several questions and then asked for my home address. T/c immediatly sent me out a new fore-arm for my center-fire barrels. some of them need tweaked because they do not engage the barrel correctly and push against the lock-up diffrently when closed each time. After I installed the new fore-arm I can consistantly shoot .643 to .868" inch groups at 100 yards with a .300 win mag. Originally shooting 1.5 to 2" groups. give these guys a chance. I will be a t/c customer for life.

tango2echo
January 30, 2009, 06:02 PM
Had a Pro Hunter in 7mm-08 and .50MZ. The muzzelloader barrel was very accurate, however, the 7mm-08 barrel would only shoot 2.5" at a 100 and would frequently miss the paper (12X12") at 300. I had a local gunsmith look at it. He said the chamber was not cut square to the bore. I sent the barrel back to the distributer I had ordered it from, as they said they would replace it. I soon found out they did not have another 7mm-08 barrel, so I had them send me a .30-06. The '06 would shoot better, but not exactly what I expect from a $800 rifle. It now belongs to someone else.

On a side note, I now own three T/C Omega .50 Muzzleloaders. All are amazingly accurate. The best of the three will cloverleaf at 100 and is only 2.75-3.25" at 250!

T2E

jbkebert
January 31, 2009, 11:53 PM
I took my encore out earlier today and shot quite a bit. I ran about 30 rounds or so through the .300 win mag barrel and a best 5 shot group of just a hair under 1 5/8" at 200 yards. I dont know about you but I think that more than qualifies as a accurate rifle. Love them or hate them I would take mine any where to hunt with complete confidence in my ability to hit where I am aiming.

If you enjoyed reading about "T/C Pro Hunter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!