Anyone cary a SIG229 DAK?

PDA

turbohardtop
December 22, 2008, 12:14 PM
I was wondering if any one carry a Sig229 DAK have opinions on them? I am looking to get a concealed HG that has some safety features and is small enough for concealment. TIA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone cary a SIG229 DAK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marcus L.
December 22, 2008, 02:53 PM
Personally I don't like the DAK trigger. In my opinion the Sig DA/SA trigger is a much better system as your first shot is DA, but follow up shots are SA and are much faster and tend to be more accurate. The DA/SA gives you a safe carry condition in DA mode which is really(at least in my trained opinion) the only time you want double action and all you need to do to come out of that position is to pull the trigger and your pistol automatically reverts SA which is the best shooting trigger. This double action only safety craze we've been seeing lately is more of a combat disadvantage than anything else.

Rexster
December 22, 2008, 04:22 PM
I do like the DAK trigger, just as I like a good sweet DA S&W sixgun trigger. I ignore the DAK's first reset position, and let it reset fully forward. While I use the DAK P229 for duty and most personal-time carry, I still use J-frame and SP101 snubbies on the small end, and sometimes still carry larger sixguns for various reasons. Using the first reset in the DAK system would complicate training, and might cause me to short-stroke a revolver.

In case anyone is wondering, this first reset position in the DAK system results in a shorter stroke, but it is heavier, 8+ pounds, IIRC. Letting the trigger reset fully forward results in a longer stroke for the next shot, but it is a lighter pull, about 6+ pounds. One LE trainer opined that the first reset position was really insurance against short-stroking more than a desirable place from which to start a trigger stroke, but others actually like the shorter reset position.

FWIW, though I wear a badge, nobody made me use the DAK; I have to buy my own duty pistols, and voted with my wallet, readily dumping the Glock G22 when I had the chance to buy and qual with a DAK P229. DA/SA SIGs are still the norm where I work, among patrol officers at least. DAK seems more popular, proportionately, among the narc guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone cary a SIG229 DAK?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!